Sram Rival AXS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kervelo

by kervelo

Cyclingtips discusses the differences between Force and Rival:
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/sram-rival-axs-review/

There are some differences between them: Rival controls do not have the expansion ports for satellites, the adjustable travel for the levers and also the bleeding-edge-port in brake calipers is replaced with a simple port.
Last edited by kervelo on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Another difference is that Force and Red shifters can now control legacy 11 speed eTap derailleurs thanks to a recent firmware update.

gSporco

by gSporco

itapersita wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:29 am
gSporco wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:36 am
g32ecs wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:11 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:19 am

I think you're right on the money as far as value to weight ratio is concerned with this build. When I built my Force group up it was clear that the cranks and cassette are by far the best way to save weight on an AXS build.
Im looking to do a build and was thinking going Force for FD/RD/shifters, Red for cranks and Rival chain/calipers and cassette for high wearing parts.

I dont think I could afford the Force or Red cassette and chain in the long run especially when Shimano and SRAM are divorcing with compatibility. This sucks for us consumers. Has any 3rd party company made any AXS parts?
I think the best Price to weight ratio for AXS is as follows:
Rival Shifters
Rival FD (nearly as lite as Red and lighter than Force)
Force RD
Force cassette (Rival cassette is really heavy)
Red Crank arms (cant beat 355g arms)
Chain Rings Red or Force, whatever is cheaper, they are really close in weight
Chain Force chain is pretty good for $35 USD
I quote your post because I am in the middle of a crisis here :lol:

I bought a aspero frame 1 y ago and very slowly I am building my bike. At the moment I have a For e RD, Red crank arms, chainrings .... almost done the transmission except for the shifters and brakes. I wanted to go for the Force but it is almost impossible to find. Now the rival shifters are available somewhere and I don't know what to do: waiting for the for e.or go for the rival? It's mainly a psychological thing, my dream was to build this bike with premium components and I did not want to go for "budget" stuff.
I totally understand what you are going through.. I have Red on my Aethos and Rival shifters sitting in a box for my next gravel build.. The Rival looks and feels so nice, much more compact than the Red or Force.. But I under Wanting premium.. Just no there is only 20 grams difference between Red and Rival shifters hoses and calipers included... also if you install aluminum backed brake pads you will save another 15g per caliper making it lighter than Red with normal pads..

The Rival FD is a dream, Inthink Sram secretly redesigned it as I have experienced 0 shifting issues unless I do something stupid like shift small to big when im below the middle of the cassette
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

DaveS

by DaveS

My force FD will shift from small to big with the chain anywhere on the cassette. Most problems come from the marks not being parallel to the big ring.

gSporco

by gSporco

DaveS wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:32 pm
My force FD will shift from small to big with the chain anywhere on the cassette. Most problems come from the marks not being parallel to the big ring.
I know that, but for whatever reason I found the Rival FD to be a bit smoother and more forgiving.. also the redesigned cage on the Rival makes it super easy to align all the hash marks; much easier to read for me..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

itapersita

by itapersita

gSporco wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:21 pm
itapersita wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:29 am
gSporco wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:36 am
g32ecs wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:11 pm

Im looking to do a build and was thinking going Force for FD/RD/shifters, Red for cranks and Rival chain/calipers and cassette for high wearing parts.

I dont think I could afford the Force or Red cassette and chain in the long run especially when Shimano and SRAM are divorcing with compatibility. This sucks for us consumers. Has any 3rd party company made any AXS parts?
I think the best Price to weight ratio for AXS is as follows:
Rival Shifters
Rival FD (nearly as lite as Red and lighter than Force)
Force RD
Force cassette (Rival cassette is really heavy)
Red Crank arms (cant beat 355g arms)
Chain Rings Red or Force, whatever is cheaper, they are really close in weight
Chain Force chain is pretty good for $35 USD
I quote your post because I am in the middle of a crisis here :lol:

I bought a aspero frame 1 y ago and very slowly I am building my bike. At the moment I have a For e RD, Red crank arms, chainrings .... almost done the transmission except for the shifters and brakes. I wanted to go for the Force but it is almost impossible to find. Now the rival shifters are available somewhere and I don't know what to do: waiting for the for e.or go for the rival? It's mainly a psychological thing, my dream was to build this bike with premium components and I did not want to go for "budget" stuff.
I totally understand what you are going through.. I have Red on my Aethos and Rival shifters sitting in a box for my next gravel build.. The Rival looks and feels so nice, much more compact than the Red or Force.. But I under Wanting premium.. Just no there is only 20 grams difference between Red and Rival shifters hoses and calipers included... also if you install aluminum backed brake pads you will save another 15g per caliper making it lighter than Red with normal pads..

The Rival FD is a dream, Inthink Sram secretly redesigned it as I have experienced 0 shifting issues unless I do something stupid like shift small to big when im below the middle of the cassette
Unfortunately I lost the train. The shifters were available only for few hours and I thought about too much .. I have to wait for the next batch... When? I don't know :noidea: :(

kervelo

by kervelo

itapersita wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:10 am
Unfortunately I lost the train. The shifters were available only for few hours and I thought about too much .. I have to wait for the next batch... When? I don't know :noidea: :(
Some German shops list the availability for Force AXS levers as six weeks (bike24), some shops as in March 2022 (r2-bike). :x

Elmersen

by Elmersen

Does anyone know if the Rival shifters have the same rattle issue that some other Sram shifters do? My older Apex 1 Hrd shifters are terrible in that regard, there is so much play in the brake levers that you have to keep a finger on them at all times to avoid rattling (unless you really turn the reach screw which makes the distance to the levers too big for me). Guessing they have improved this, but want to hear some real world experience.
Last edited by Elmersen on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

I just tried Rival levers and I have to admit that they feel better than my Red...

Shift buttons have a much more positive action that feels closer to Di2 than Red/Force's mushy mouse click. Brake feel is about equal between the two, maybe a bit heftier for Rival due to the levers being alloy instead of carbon?

Mirco

by Mirco

To be honest, I am using Rival AXS shifter and brakes since 2 weeks now on my new Festka and I am coming from Red Etap and Red AXS. No need to use the more expensive Force or Red parts concerning shifter and brakes. Crank, Cassette, Chain I am still using Red, because of the weight.

DaveS

by DaveS

I wonder about setting the lever reach to the closest position and still having enough lever travel with no contact point adjustment. I currently use Juin-Tech GT calipers and force axs mechanical levers set to the closest position. Contact point adjustment is done by turning the cable tension knob. No problems.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

just want to add to the pool. after experimenting with rival, force and red AXS rear mechs (more than one of each). i found that rival rear mechs do not play well with non-round rings (i tried rotor AXS Q rings). it seems like the Rival clutch doesnt cope well with the chain/chainring bottom engagement point constantly being moved up and down. This effect is also observed with shimano clutched rear mechs. no problem with force and red rear mechs.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

kervelo

by kervelo

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:11 am
I just tried Rival levers and I have to admit that they feel better than my Red...

Shift buttons have a much more positive action that feels closer to Di2 than Red/Force's mushy mouse click. Brake feel is about equal between the two, maybe a bit heftier for Rival due to the levers being alloy instead of carbon?
That is good news. The availability of Force levers is quite bad, so I will now keep my eyes open for any good Rival lever deals. The weight difference between them is minimal.

carbonsinglespeed

by carbonsinglespeed

I have a couple of Red AXS 1x 107bcd chainrings sitting spare. This type

https://www.certini.co.uk/images/SRAM-C ... -grey.jpg
I've ordered a Rival AXS 2x crankset with the quarq power meter on the left had side. The right hand crank arm has the 4-arm 107bcd spider built into the arm.
I have read in reviews that say Rival 1x cranks and Rival 2x cranks can not be converted from one to the other. But is this actually true? The 1x Rival crank has a right hand crank arm that uses the 8-bolt direct mount interface that is seen on Red and Force crank arms.

It seems to me that there would be nothing stopping me using the Red 1x chainring that I have (the one pictured in the link above) with the 2x Rival cranks that I have ordered since they are both 107bcd.

Can anyone confirm this?

I guess I'll find out soon enough, the cranks will arrive in a few days but just thought I'd ask here.

Another point woul be that the Rival axs 1x cranks that use the 8-bolt direct mount interface could easily be converted to 2x using the 107bcd force/red spider.

Another question, the Rival 2x chainrings must be compatible with Force and Red crank arms as they would mount on to the 107bcd spider, right?

I've not managed to find any examples online of folk experimenting with mixing it up with the Rival crankset.

Just curious to know if anyone here has any experience?

I'll update when I get the Rival Quark crankset

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Sorry, misunderstood your queston:
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:38 pm
I have a couple of Red AXS 1x 107bcd chainrings sitting spare. This type

https://www.certini.co.uk/images/SRAM-C ... -grey.jpg
I've ordered a Rival AXS 2x crankset with the quarq power meter on the left had side. The right hand crank arm has the 4-arm 107bcd spider built into the arm.
I have read in reviews that say Rival 1x cranks and Rival 2x cranks can not be converted from one to the other. But is this actually true? The 1x Rival crank has a right hand crank arm that uses the 8-bolt direct mount interface that is seen on Red and Force crank arms.

It seems to me that there would be nothing stopping me using the Red 1x chainring that I have (the one pictured in the link above) with the 2x Rival cranks that I have ordered since they are both 107bcd.

Can anyone confirm this?
Think the issue is how to secure the 46t red chainring to the integrated Rival spider. While it looks like the 2x Rival chainrings use the same bolts as the Red/Force 1x chainrings, it's how the bolts secure the chainring itself that could be an issue.

For Rival 2x the mounting is (from frame -----> out to pedal)
Bolt -> Inner Ring -> Integrated Spider -> Outer Ring/Rivnut
where the bolt secured directly into the Outer Ring/Rivnut

However for Red/Force 1x the mounting is:
Bolt -> Spider -> 46t Ring -> Plastic Cap/Cap nut

So for using the Rival arm it would need to be similar to above. You would need the plastic cap/cap nuts, and it might not fit flush with the Rival integrated spider. BCD seems the same at 107.
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:38 pm
Another question, the Rival 2x chainrings must be compatible with Force and Red crank arms as they would mount on to the 107bcd spider, right?
Same issue as above, probably worse since the design of the ends of the chainring arms don't seem to match between Rival AXS integrated spider and Red/Force removable spider.
Rival AXS is thinner and straight, while Red/Force is wider and rounded:
Image\