2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sace

by Sace

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:22 pm

In my opinion they should be taking care of existing owners who have already shelled out the money for their bikes first though, that would be good customer service.
Completely agree on that one. They seem to have infinite ressources to post pictures of their bikes (which is never in stock) on social media but are not able to provide any decent communication for the people waiting on these bikes :shock:

But I must admit that I still really like the look of the Aeroad though and really hope they get it sorted. Still wondering if the seatpost fix will come out looking like a bodge as we have seen in TDF just to get the stock of current frames/seatposts sold and then they release a revised bike for next year. I fear that might be a possibility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brusknl

by brusknl

Hello,

We’d like to inform you that we’re rapidly progressing on getting the repair process ready for your Aeroad. In this mail we would like to give you an update on the status and timing of the work.

Our engineers have been working hard to find asafe long-term solution for the issues affecting both the drop bars of your Aeroad cockpit as well as the bike’s seatpost. Safety and stability are our top priority: that’s why, following intensive quality testing processes, we have gone well beyond existing ISO test standards. All previous tests were passed with outstanding results. In addition, our Canyon test riders have put the parts through their paces over thousands of kilometres out on the road.

Revised drop bars
We have significantly increased the drop bars’ wall thickness at the points where the highest forces are applied. Series production is now underway. We will be able to start providing this solution from the end of August onwards. The timing for your bike depends on different factors, e.g. the region where you live.

Revised seatpost
We have developed a sleeve bearing that creates a seal and reduces seatpost and seat tube friction and prevents dirt from entering. We will be able to start providing this solution from the end of August onwards. The timing for your bike depends on different factors, e.g. the region where you live.

THE NEXT STEPS FOR YOU

Individual repair appointment
In order to get the new revised drop bars, seatpost, and new sleeve bearing with sealing design installed on your bike as quickly and easily as possible for you, our service team or service partners will reach out to you from mid-August to arrange a personal repair appointment. Of course, this is free of charge.

We will send you mails with status updates on the repair progress from an email address set up especially for this purpose – canyon.aeroad.repair@getbikeservice.com. So please check your spam folder to make sure you don’t miss it.

Timing
Depending on where you live, we will start on the repairs from the end of August onwards. We will repair customer bikes in a step-by-step process. Since you cannot ride your Aeroad at the moment, your bike will have priority for repairs. This means that you will be among the first to be contacted by our service team or service partners to get your repair appointment. You don't have to do anything else. You will be contacted from mid-August to arrange an appointment. Our top priority is to get you back onyour bike as soon as possible.

Compensation
The compensation for the time you were unable to ride your Aeroad will be paid, as announced, after the repair. We will contact you as soon as the repair is completed.

Thank you very much!
We would like to thank you once again for your trust and your patience. Equipped with the new parts, your Aeroad will be back in full working order with all its original features.
Last edited by brusknl on Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad SLX 8 Di2

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Thanks for the update @brusknl

Wonder why it's called a sleeve bearing and not just a sleeve? Maybe it's a little more than just a poly boot.

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:01 pm
Thanks for the update @brusknl

Wonder why it's called a sleeve bearing and not just a sleeve? Maybe it's a little more than just a poly boot.
Im wondering about that too, perhaps "sleeve bearing" indicates that the sleeve will also be partly inside the seatpost tube, where a "sleeve" would only overlap?

Its nice to hear something from them though, albeit through this forum. I hope people like me who have already ordered and paid but haven't gotten their bike yet will hear something soon as well.

Broady

by Broady

Bearing because it will move somewhat. May be an improvement regarding comfort.

usr

by usr

If I'm not misreading (and if it wasn't miswritten) the big news is the word seatpost in "the new revised drop bars, seatpost, and new sleeve bearing with sealing design".

Did they find a few more 10ths of mm to shave off while still keeping within UCI requirements, to fit a considerable amount of, well, "solution" (whatever that may be) into the frame cutout? In that case the solution might actually turn out good.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Did anyone with a bike on order get any mail?

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

usr wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:46 pm
If I'm not misreading (and if it wasn't miswritten) the big news is the word seatpost in "the new revised drop bars, seatpost, and new sleeve bearing with sealing design".

Did they find a few more 10ths of mm to shave off while still keeping within UCI requirements, to fit a considerable amount of, well, "solution" (whatever that may be) into the frame cutout? In that case the solution might actually turn out good.
You might be right here. Even though the company is based in Germany and such a simple language slip up might happen, I think you can expect them to look over the words multiple times to ensure they communicate the right message to their customers.

cberg

by cberg

Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 pm
Nothing here :?

TomS

by TomS

cberg wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 pm
Nothing here :?
Nothing here either (Belgium). Thanks for posting the update!

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Nothing here yet in the States either, but I'm expecting it later tonight. Although I already bought the bike, had it, and sent it back for warranty so not quite the same as having one on order. Not sure how my situation will go.

joaoapura

by joaoapura

brusknl wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Individual repair appointment
In order to get the new revised drop bars, seatpost, and new sleeve bearing with sealing design installed on your bike as quickly and easily as possible for you, our service team or service partners will reach out to you from mid-August to arrange a personal repair appointment. Of course, this is free of charge.

We will send you mails with status updates on the repair progress from an email address set up especially for this purpose – canyon.aeroad.repair@getbikeservice.com. So please check your spam folder to make sure you don’t miss it.
getbikeservice.com is only available in Germany, so it's not clear how this is going to be handled for customers in other countries...

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Bummer.

No email yet here in the US.

tomtom

by tomtom

usr wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:46 pm

Although in Dutch the title of the message also says "revisited seatpost" I did not get anywhere in the text, the impression that the "solution" is more than the more than hiddious "sleve". They also mentioned the new seatpost (in former Canyon message's) would be available in the fall. Something is changed and/or not told completely. Furthermore; the new bars would be first available in july, next message "end of july" and now the soonest "end of August".....not really something to be happy about :evil: ! Also in the Netherlands they will use getthebikeservice.com
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Stoney silence for the people with orders, i am really starting to think theyll cancel our orders and make us re order with all the price increses across the market. I'm desperatley trying to get a SL7 now as Ive really run out of patience