2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Looks like there are a bunch of others now in small and medium in the Canyon outlet with R9200. Also, there is a Movistar replica with 454s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Has anyone seen the MvdP edition in person? How is the paint finish quality?
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Spoke to a canyon rep who told me that we won’t be getting any new aeroad builds in the US until 2023. Really makes no sense at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

mrbrown4001 wrote:Spoke to a canyon rep who told me that we won’t be getting any new aeroad builds in the US until 2023. Really makes no sense at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were new CFRs in the Outlet for a brief minute. I know because I got one.

I can’t fully get it to shift well and it has a horrible case of seatpost creak if that makes you feel any better tho.

What’s the fix on that? More grease and a card or tape on the back of the seatpost?

Last edited by LedZeppelin007 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ my buddy regreases and has a thin strip of 3m tape.. He has to do this occasionally even after the recall fix
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

spdntrxi wrote:^ my buddy regreases and has a thin strip of 3m tape.. He has to do this occasionally even after the recall fix
Just the collar, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

At the back, I.e. where the clamping mechanism meets the seat post or the frame the seat post up top?

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:09 am
At the back, I.e. where the clamping mechanism meets the seat post or the frame the seat post up top?
Between the frame and the seat post, not between the clamping mechanism and the seat post.

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Hi,
I got my SLX 8 Di2 about four weeks ago and finished my first 1000km with it.
Bike feels great, super stable over 45/50km/h but still very "lively" at lower speed.
Climbing is not an issue, at least where I live: local hill is 7km long at an average of 6%. The 36-30 ratio is plenty enough to spin.
The handelbar really feels stiff to me, no wet noodle impression there, but tbh I rarely put out more than a 1000W ;-)
Concerning the geometry, I got lucky enough that the cockpit fits my position perfectly (for info, 43yo , 173cm, 81.5 inseam, 63kg, ~4.0w/kg FTP). From Canyon, I was already riding a 2017 Endurace size S with a 10cm stem (instead of the original 9cm one) and I get my position right on the Aeroad (size S also) without any problem.

Creaking - squeeking : got some, but nothing due to the seatpost (I directly put a tiny piece of tape on the back of it before the first ride).
First sqeeking origin: the saddle. Solved by greasing the rail and torque it to spec.
The second squeeking origin: embarassingly enough, it took me a while to figure it out... my two water bottles were rubbing against each other...

All in all I am very very happy with the bike. It's fast, fun to ride, looks great and super confortable!
Negativ points, the tilting mechanism for the saddle was in my case a pain in the A.. (was blocked, had to hammer it out) and the Di2 was not adjusted perfectly. Nothing which couldn't be solved pretty easily.

wozzo

by wozzo

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:24 am
spdntrxi wrote:^ my buddy regreases and has a thin strip of 3m tape.. He has to do this occasionally even after the recall fix
Just the collar, right?

I have put some carbon paste at the front of the seatpost and two layers of isolation tape at the back. It is doing the trick for now (about 500km). Definitely feels like it sits very tight now. Still pissed off that we have to tape a bike from this price range. I just can't understand how they still realease new revisions of the bike with a f@@k up like this. Still, I knew the case before I bought it, so I can only be mad at myself. I was just hoping that these were just some individual problems and it would not happen to me...wrong.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

wozzo wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Just the collar, right?

I have put some carbon paste at the front of the seatpost and two layers of isolation tape at the back. It is doing the trick for now (about 500km). Definitely feels like it sits very tight now. Still pissed off that we have to tape a bike from this price range. I just can't understand how they still realease new revisions of the bike with a f@@k up like this. Still, I knew the case before I bought it, so I can only be mad at myself. I was just hoping that these were just some individual problems and it would not happen to me...wrong.
Sorry, I’m an idiot. When you say “seatpost” are you referring specifically and only to the narrow portion (i.e., not the front of the portion with the aero fairing)? Also, what is “isolation tape?” Would electrical tape work?

wozzo

by wozzo

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:31 pm
wozzo wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Just the collar, right?

Sorry, I’m an idiot. When you say “seatpost” are you referring specifically and only to the narrow portion (i.e., not the front of the portion with the aero fairing)? Also, what is “isolation tape?” Would electrical tape work?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Just normal electrical tape. If it fails in some time, i will try sth else like cricket bar tape (also recommended here). Good luck.
Attachments
Fix
Fix

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Doesn't the manual specifically state not to put carbon paste there and only around the clamping mechanism..?

wozzo

by wozzo

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 pm
Doesn't the manual specifically state not to put carbon paste there and only around the clamping mechanism..?
It does, but I have taken it out after around 300km to check if there is any sign of wear and nothing like this is happening for now. I think because of the tape and snuggly fit, there is no room for any movement that could damage carbon around. if it works, I leave it and see every couple of rides if it's not making any harm to the frame...

Cannoli

by Cannoli

wozzo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 pm
It does, but I have taken it out after around 300km to check if there is any sign of wear and nothing like this is happening for now. I think because of the tape and snuggly fit, there is no room for any movement that could damage carbon around. if it works, I leave it and see every couple of rides if it's not making any harm to the frame...
300km is nothing in the grand scheme of things and will not represent reality over time. I would NOT recommend carbon paste on the seatpost except for the clamping area as directed by Canyon.

Use a small piece of 3M tape at the very back flat section, and thick waterproof grease all around where the post interfaces with the frame opening. Change the tape when it becomes deformed from slight movement and clean and re-grease at the same time.

I do this on my CFR and my wife's CFR approximately every 1000km or as needed. I have 13,354km on my CFR and my wife has 9,492km on her's as of today. No seatpost wear and no issues whatsoever following this routine.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com