2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brusknl

by brusknl

IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg
Scratch in clearcoat, or damaged carbon near seat tube?
Visible on both sides. Can't feel anything with my nail.
Last edited by brusknl on Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Canyon Aeroad SLX 8 Di2

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

scratch
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

brusknl wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:28 pm
IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg

Hate to say it but a scratch wouldnt be so jagged.
Looks like stress fracture to me in the clear coat, and if its just the clear coat youre good.
The only way to know would be sand it down and see is the carbon under the clear coat sound but you could make it look worse then.

Obviously ask Canyon but if not, take it to a painter and have them sand it and re clear it if its fine.

Looking at the scratches on the seat post, did your post slip down and bang off the frame? that would explain the damaged clear coat?

usr

by usr

To me it looks like a crack between structural carbon and the mysterious "existing carbon sleeve" that according to the fix announcement email posted two weeks ago would get removed to make room for glueing in some "bearing sleeve".
TomS wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:17 pm
·A bearing sleeve that is glued into the top of the seat tube and replaces the existing carbon sleeve

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

usr wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:12 pm
To me it looks like a crack between structural carbon and the mysterious "existing carbon sleeve" that according to the fix announcement email posted two weeks ago would get removed to make room for glueing in some "bearing sleeve".
TomS wrote:
·A bearing sleeve that is glued into the top of the seat tube and replaces the existing carbon sleeve
Hmmm thats very interesting, How the hell do they expect bike shops to do that fix so?
Withot damaging paint etc?

inean

by inean

Aerohead23 wrote:
usr wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:12 pm
TomS wrote:
Hmmm thats very interesting, How the hell do they expect bike shops to do that fix so?
It's a canyon problem. If paint is damaged, guarantee replacement. if frame is damaged, guarantee replacement and so on.

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 SE mediante Tapatalk

usr

by usr

Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:15 pm
That won't be easy, but surely easier than convincing UCI to make an exception for minimum seatpost width (I assume that they already are at the minimum?)

Paint damage will be hidden under rubber and glue and providing every shop involved with some milling tool guide jig tailored to that very specific frame opening shouldn't be all that expensive. Even if they include all the tools required on a "use to keep" base that would still be the cheapest part of that whole failure story.

Rora

by Rora

One of Canyon's commercial team called me today informing they're going to send me a shipping label for my Canyon. I asked him if there's an option for me to fix the handlebar and seatpost myself or to give it to my LBS but he said this is not an option. I asked if I need to ship wheels or just frame is enough but he responded they need the complete bike and that they will be fully responsible for any damages caused during shipment. Regarding the timeline, he said it'll take 1x week plus shipping time. A little bit disappointing that the bike must be sent to Germany but at least it's happening. Anyone else got similar call today? Im from Ireland btw.

usr

by usr

So that's how the hell they expect bike shops to fix it, not at all. (Most bike shops wouldn't want to help Canyon solve their problems anyways, at least not for anything less than retirement money)

brusknl

by brusknl

Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 am
brusknl wrote:
IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg

Looking at the scratches on the seat post, did your post slip down and bang off the frame? that would explain the damaged clear coat?
No, seatpost scratches are 3-5cm. Never bumped my seatpost/seat to the frame.

These cracks I noticed recently. I will let Canyon know.
Canyon Aeroad SLX 8 Di2

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Back when we thought the fix was just getting new drops and a seal installed I could see how a LBS could do the repair. With the information that we have now there's no way Canyon would want a LBS to do the fix and vice versa I'm sure. No LBS would take that kind of risk on.

brusknl

by brusknl

Rora wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm
One of Canyon's commercial team called me today informing they're going to send me a shipping label for my Canyon. I asked him if there's an option for me to fix the handlebar and seatpost myself or to give it to my LBS but he said this is not an option. I asked if I need to ship wheels or just frame is enough but he responded they need the complete bike and that they will be fully responsible for any damages caused during shipment. Regarding the timeline, he said it'll take 1x week plus shipping time. A little bit disappointing that the bike must be sent to Germany but at least it's happening. Anyone else got similar call today? Im from Ireland btw.
Have not received any updates yet. Also, I don't have the stock wheels anymore.

I rather not send them my wheels...

Keep us updated. Please make some photos, and show before/after!

Good luck!
Canyon Aeroad SLX 8 Di2

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

Rora wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm
The shipping might actually take longer than the repair itself. Still though, a one week duration for a fix isn't all that bad I think

Rora

by Rora

Yeah, I'll take plenty of pictures before and after, not happy at all to send the bike.

There might be other options for people in continental Europe in comparison to people in Ireland/UK, not sure...

I'll keep you posted lads 👍

RDY

by RDY

brusknl wrote:
IMG_6773.jpg
IMG_6786.jpg

It's a crack in the clearcoat. Likely caused by too much flex in the laminate underneath (because the seatpost is flexing and placing pressure on the tube), potentially causing both it and the clearcoat, or just the more brittle clearcoat to fail. Either way, even if the laminate is not yet cracked, it most probably will crack or delaminate given enough time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com