2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Turtlespeed

by Turtlespeed

Anyone had the seat clamp thingy completely stuck ?
Seat clamp
Seat clamp
I cannot rotate the saddle. Any advise on how to loosen it ?

It is stuck on the drive side...

mgrl

by mgrl

Clamp it and hit it with a hammer (gently).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

I had to use a punch and a hammer to get mine out. I had to replace it with one that supports oval seat rails. After replacing the clamp, I used carbon paste on the clamp/seatpost interface, greased the fitting threads, and had to torque the bolt to 12Nm to keep it in place. I had the saddle clamp rotate on me mid-ride several times. 12Nm did the trick.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Turtlespeed

by Turtlespeed

Thanks all, Ill give it a go, I was not sure about hitting it.

On a annother note, what kind of repear stand do you use for your Aeroad ?
Currently I have this PCS-10.2
But I am hesitant to clamp the seatpost.....

usr

by usr

Turtlespeed wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:10 pm
So it is a legitimate successor to the aeroad gen 2 after all.

What did it on the gen 2, when punching with a tool from the opposite side escalated to a force that I did not feel comfortable with anymore was inserting a close-fitting, long tool, not too far, and then just applying some shearing force. That way you get considerable leverage without anything other than the aluminum part contacting the plastic.

Accidentally discovered when trying to use a wider punch.

tomtom

by tomtom

usr wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:28 am
Turtlespeed wrote:
So it is a legitimate successor to the aeroad gen 2 after all.

What did it on the gen 2, when punching with a tool from the opposite side escalated to a force that I did not feel comfortable with anymore was inserting a close-fitting, long tool, not too far, and then just applying some shearing force. That way you get considerable leverage without anything other than the aluminum part contacting the plastic.

Accidentally discovered when trying to use a wider punch.
Exactly :mrgreen: ! It gets stuck all the time....only difference; Gen 2 had the brilliant systeem of being able to adjust the setback by 2 way fit but gen 3 doesn't have that anymore. Because of the impossibility of mounting oval rails as default I think it's a poor solution of Canyon; maintaining the faults but retracting the benefits :? .
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

usr

by usr

tomtom wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am
Exactly :mrgreen: ! It gets stuck all the time....only difference; Gen 2 had the brilliant systeem of being able to adjust the setback by 2 way fit but gen 3 doesn't have that anymore.
Can't even flip it anymore? Missed that in the picture! They really pulled all registers to make owners of the previous generation happy ;)

(not that I'd ever flip it, I would likely ride the S28 with more setback if it was more easily available)

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Turtlespeed wrote:
Anyone had the seat clamp thingy completely stuck ?824D2E11-4F3B-49EA-A15F-B0FB566E6FF2.jpeg

I cannot rotate the saddle. Any advise on how to loosen it ?

It is stuck on the drive side...
Like others have said, go from the other side with some sort of tool that you can tap. I think the last time this happened to me on my Gen2 Aeroad I took a flat blade screw driver and wrapped the tip in a microfiber towel. Then went from the side of the seatpost that I was able to get out and tapped it out.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

tomtom wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am
Exactly :mrgreen: ! It gets stuck all the time....only difference; Gen 2 had the brilliant systeem of being able to adjust the setback by 2 way fit but gen 3 doesn't have that anymore. Because of the impossibility of mounting oval rails as default I think it's a poor solution of Canyon; maintaining the faults but retracting the benefits :? .
I think for some (not all) getting a proper fit on the new Aeroad is much harder specifically because of that. I'm sure the relaxed geometry helps though.

I have to take away the positives from my Aeroad ordeal and in the end decided that it's just not the best bike for me, even though it looks fricken awesome. I'll have to admire from afar. :mrgreen: I was waiting for the restock, but have since set my sights on an SL7 frameset to build up when I get a chance. Being able to choose stem length, crank length, bars, post etc I'll be able to get the fit that I need.

GeaerGrimsrud

by GeaerGrimsrud

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 pm
I was waiting for the restock, but have since set my sights on an SL7 frameset to build up when I get a chance. Being able to choose stem length, crank length, bars, post etc I'll be able to get the fit that I need.
$9,500 is too much for me, but in case someone wants an available now aerobike option, in XS, L, and XL: https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road/sco ... u=10134523

cberg

by cberg

Happy one year anniversary to my order :|

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

I never thought I'd be waiting over a year for this bike. My order was placed on 20th Jan, so I guess Canyon have 1 more week before they break the 1 year barrier.

cberg

by cberg

There's still a month before it has been delayed for a year, since it was supposed to be delivered mid. February

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

Mine wasn't due until May 21 - I really hope I don't have to wait until May 2022!

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

GeaerGrimsrud wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:39 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 pm
I was waiting for the restock, but have since set my sights on an SL7 frameset to build up when I get a chance. Being able to choose stem length, crank length, bars, post etc I'll be able to get the fit that I need.
$9,500 is too much for me, but in case someone wants an available now aerobike option, in XS, L, and XL: https://www.racycles.com/bikes/road/sco ... u=10134523
That's a slick bike, I'm just set on white this time around. My LBS is supposed to be getting a 56 SL7 Pro in white this spring so they put my name on it. We'll see.

Hope everyone here gets their bikes soon so they can ride in the spring. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com