2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Just tried a medium cage R8050 RD on there. Really no improvement to be honest. Might just run the 9150 RD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PimTT

by PimTT

Cannoli wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 pm
I swapped the front rings on my wife's CFR to 50/34 and put on the R8050 11-34 cassette, all on the stock DA9150 RD. While she loses top-end, she can spin all day up the steep stuff. I actually picked up the same parts for my CFR for a future trip to Northern Italy. The DA9150 rear derailleur handles the 11-34 cassette without issue. Just needed to adjust the b-screw a bit.
You can just only swap the 36 to a 34 (saves you the cost of the 50), the front derailleur can handle the 52-34, no problem. I used a 12-32 cassette, without adjusting the b-screw. Did 1300 km, 19000 hm with it without any problem.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

PimTT wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:02 am
Cannoli wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 pm
I swapped the front rings on my wife's CFR to 50/34 and put on the R8050 11-34 cassette, all on the stock DA9150 RD. While she loses top-end, she can spin all day up the steep stuff. I actually picked up the same parts for my CFR for a future trip to Northern Italy. The DA9150 rear derailleur handles the 11-34 cassette without issue. Just needed to adjust the b-screw a bit.
You can just only swap the 36 to a 34 (saves you the cost of the 50), the front derailleur can handle the 52-34, no problem. I used a 12-32 cassette, without adjusting the b-screw. Did 1300 km, 19000 hm with it without any problem.
We tried that on my wife's CFR for a bit and found the jump from 34 to 52 was very clumsy and inconsistent. We ended up just changing the chainrings to 54-34 to allow the DA to perform like a DA.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

So, I ran 52/36t and the HG800 11-34t with an R8050 medium cage yesterday with a fresh chain for a hilly 50-miler (just shy of 4000 ft of climbing with grades briefly hitting 14-17% at times). A few observations:

-A bit noisier than expected especially in random gear combos (I don’t mean cross chaining where it would be expected)

-Big/Big combo was actually ok. A little noisy, but useable.

-Stopping pedaling on the descents or (briefly) doing a half turn backward caused the chain to feel unstable, almost like it was going to skip

-I’m going to need a smaller gear than 36/34 for this upcoming event. I think I could handle one or two extended climbs at 8-10% with that gearing (it has me around 340 watts in that situation at a comfortable cadence) but I need to be able to spin up some climbs in the 200-250 range if I want to be OK for steep climbs after 80 miles

-I think the R9100P meter might suck. I’m getting the infamous 54/46 power imbalance, despite knowing that I rarely stray more than 51/49.

-I think I might order up a new R9100 crank, put the 46/30t Absolute Black subcompact rings and run an 11-30t out back

eaten14

by eaten14

Hi, I do have Canyon Aeroad for about a month now and have ridden about 1300km on it. Today I was riding with my backpack and at the end of the ride I hit the bump and my saddle has tilted. I fixed it, tightened it quite strong (didnt have torque wrench with me), but in next bump it happened again. I’m afraid to tighten it more because seatpost is carbon, but it seems I will have to. For those of you who changed the angle or had this issue, how strong do you tighten it? I plan to clean it, put some carbon paste on it and I hope it helps … but before I do it maybe some of you have some tips what else could help? I don't think customer service can help me with this somehow.

TomS

by TomS

eaten14 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:57 pm
Hi, I do have Canyon Aeroad for about a month now and have ridden about 1300km on it. Today I was riding with my backpack and at the end of the ride I hit the bump and my saddle has tilted. I fixed it, tightened it quite strong (didnt have torque wrench with me), but in next bump it happened again. I’m afraid to tighten it more because seatpost is carbon, but it seems I will have to. For those of you who changed the angle or had this issue, how strong do you tighten it? I plan to clean it, put some carbon paste on it and I hope it helps … but before I do it maybe some of you have some tips what else could help? I don't think customer service can help me with this somehow.
Same thing happened to me in the first 500km out of the box. Just re-tighten it to spec and it won't come lose again... (in fact, you will have a hard time trying to tilt the nose without taking apart the clamp by tapping it with a hammer...)

romanesco

by romanesco

eaten14 wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:57 pm
You can follow Canyon nm recommendations (I think it's 8 nm) but the most important thing is to clean the cage and put A LOT of carbon paste inside the cage. Works for me!
Attachments
FEF3B0FC-2FC7-48BA-8137-9369FF89512E.jpeg
A9842073-AF2F-4CB4-A816-1E56E5CF2C4F.jpeg

eaten14

by eaten14

Just did it, opened, fully cleaned and put A LOT of the paste inside + on those parts that go inside. The paste went out as I was pushing it inside, so I believe it's more than enough. I tightened it to 8nm (as specified) and went for a test outside. Did some hard bumps with me fully sitting on bike (poor bicycle) and it didn't move a bit. So let's see how it behaves on longer ride. But thanks for hints!
One more question: Can too much of carbon paste actually be bad?

romanesco

by romanesco

I guess not as Canyon already putted a lot of paste when I received it.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Yeah the way the saddle mount is fixed there is ridiculous.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

The fact that canyon doesn’t let you change handlebars on new bikes is ridiculous to me. If you need a longer stem in your size your just left the the wayside. Their cockpit solutions across the entire range is truly disappointing when compared with the rest of the market. I know it doesn’t affect performance that much but no internal routing at the SL level is sad. Internal routing just looks better. The rest of the bike seems to be decent as well which makes it even more disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romanesco

by romanesco

I'm actually pretty happy with the external cable routine, easier to service...

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

romanesco wrote:I'm actually pretty happy with the external cable routine, easier to service...
Yeah that must be great for you guys. I live in DTLA and barely have space to store my bike in my apartment let alone service it.

Lina

by Lina

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:53 pm
romanesco wrote:I'm actually pretty happy with the external cable routine, easier to service...
Yeah that must be great for you guys. I live in DTLA and barely have space to store my bike in my apartment let alone service it.

To be honest, if you've got space to live in the apartment you've got space to service your bike. It's not like stuff like changing cables, or bleeding brakes takes any more space than the bike itself. Where to store the tools might become a problem if you want to have everything but you could easily have the tools for most stuff without an issue. And even if you're not servicing your bike yourself you're paying for the integrated cables if they take more time to do.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/outlet-bik ... 32625.html

It briefly lasted in the US Outlet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com