2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Dieselbike wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:30 pm
BertD wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:21 pm
spartacus wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:16 pm
After all that's happened I can't believe so many people think Canyon is going to randomly change course and start making "gestures" to loyal customers. I'm shocked anyone that has been following this ordeal even still wants a Canyon at this point. Sketchy, opaque, slow response to borderline inexcusable design flaws - yeah. I feel bad for you guys that think you're getting the new groupset when you ordered the old bike.
There are a few things that come into play in this case.
-First, I've been given a "case number" that I can refer to in the future, and on top of that, the lady from Canyon has promised me she'll contact me when more is clear.
-Secondly, I have indicated that I want to cancel my order if I cannot upgrade it, but I am NOT the only one, there are a lot of people who cancel or want to cancel their order. If Canyon doesn't act, they will end up with a large stock of unsold Aeroads with 'old' specifications in the fall, and they will eventually put them on sale because people prefer a new one. If it turns out that the 'old' Aeroad goes on sale a week after mine was delivered, for example, I'm doubly unlucky, I would have been cheaper if I had just waited for that moment and will drive practically at the same time.
-Third, it is a small effort for Canyon to at least offer the upgraded models to existing customers (who want it), possibly for a small additional cost.
-Fourth, if no one asks Canyon, nothing will happen anyway :-)
Hi all,

I joined the forum after following for quite some time. I too am in the same boat - waiting for an SLX Ultegra Di2 since January. I guess there is power in numbers if we all make our frustration clear and demand an acceptable resolution. Specifically giving waiting customers an option to pre-order the newer spec Shimano at a preferred cost.
I too have made my thoughts known to Canyon and requested this. The online chat never resulted in much but now I have engaged in a more formal discussion with them through email.
Has anyone else followed up with a similar request/complaint?

As winter is coming, I don't see much point in waiting for the original spec bike if the newer spec if available in early 2022. We should be given this option anyway. And I do understand that Canyon may not have the details to make such promises - this is a difficult situation.

I go on the chat and they tell me email, then i email and they tell me use the chat. Last time i emailed they didnt even reply. I think every customer is probably saying the same already.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Dieselbike wrote:
BertD wrote:
spartacus wrote:
After all that's happened I can't believe so many people think Canyon is going to randomly change course and start making "gestures" to loyal customers. I'm shocked anyone that has been following this ordeal even still wants a Canyon at this point. Sketchy, opaque, slow response to borderline inexcusable design flaws - yeah. I feel bad for you guys that think you're getting the new groupset when you ordered the old bike.
-First, I've been given a "case number" that I can refer to in the future, and on top of that, the lady from Canyon has promised me she'll contact me when more is clear.
-Secondly, I have indicated that I want to cancel my order if I cannot upgrade it, but I am NOT the only one, there are a lot of people who cancel or want to cancel their order. If Canyon doesn't act, they will end up with a large stock of unsold Aeroads with 'old' specifications in the fall, and they will eventually put them on sale because people prefer a new one. If it turns out that the 'old' Aeroad goes on sale a week after mine was delivered, for example, I'm doubly unlucky, I would have been cheaper if I had just waited for that moment and will drive practically at the same time.
-Third, it is a small effort for Canyon to at least offer the upgraded models to existing customers (who want it), possibly for a small additional cost.
Hi all,

I joined the forum after following for quite some time. I too am in the same boat - waiting for an SLX Ultegra Di2 since January. I guess there is power in numbers if we all make our frustration clear and demand an acceptable resolution. Specifically giving waiting customers an option to pre-order the newer spec Shimano at a preferred cost.
I too have made my thoughts known to Canyon and requested this. The online chat never resulted in much but now I have engaged in a more formal discussion with them through email.

As winter is coming, I don't see much point in waiting for the original spec bike if the newer spec if available in early 2022. We should be given this option anyway. And I do understand that Canyon may not have the details to make such promises - this is a difficult situation.
I also ordered a SLX Di2 back in January and I have had a pretty similar request (CS Germany). I was not even asking for a preferred cost but for the possibility to basically switch my order to new specs (at the new specs' cost). Their answer was to cancel my order and wait for the 2022 model... so again play the lottery to get my hand on it... I asked for a refund, which should come in a few days. I haven't canceled my order yet but if I do it's not going to be to wait for the 2022 Aeroad.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

To be honest the di2 slx model already went from 5k to 5.69k so im not willing to go up in value again so ill either be waiting or ill wait for the new Tarmacs.
The current Ultegra di2 is still bloody good (good enough for me) and the wheels are great.

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

Jeffouille wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm
Dieselbike wrote:
BertD wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Hi all,

I also ordered a SLX Di2 back in January and I have had a pretty similar request (CS Germany). I was not even asking for a preferred cost but for the possibility to basically switch my order to new specs (at the new specs' cost). Their answer was to cancel my order and wait for the 2022 model... so again play the lottery to get my hand on it... I asked for a refund, which should come in a few days. I haven't canceled my order yet but if I do it's not going to be to wait for the 2022 Aeroad.
Honestly I'm not as concerned with the price increase - I am also willing to pay (a bit) more. But the uncertainty is the lottery and a potential later delivery date :noidea:
I don't want to lose this bike if the new spec is significantly more money! And I don't want to wait 9 more months.

BertD

by BertD

Dieselbike wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Jeffouille wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:46 pm
Dieselbike wrote:
BertD wrote:

Hi all,

Honestly I'm not as concerned with the price increase - I am also willing to pay (a bit) more. But the uncertainty is the lottery and a potential later delivery date :noidea:
I don't want to lose this bike if the new spec is significantly more money! And I don't want to wait 9 more months.
As you said, and I also mentioned earlier, you should be given the choice, whether to keep your order, or change your order to an upgraded version. I am quite willing to pay the price difference between the old and new groupsets, it is not Canyon's fault that Shimano is now releasing a new version. But what I don't understand is that Canyon hasn't already anticipated this in their communication with customers who have been waiting for delivery for months, they have known for months that new groupsets are coming...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You guys know why they don't offer this! It's because it's too much hassle for them. They want to commit to the sales as fast as possible.
I don't take Canyons side, not at all. I think you guys are right.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BertD

by BertD

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:08 pm
You guys know why they don't offer this! It's because it's too much hassle for them. They want to commit to the sales as fast as possible.
I don't take Canyons side, not at all. I think you guys are right.

BertD

by BertD

Whatever reason they have, I really paid a LOT of money for that bike, for that money I expect decent service. With a bicycle of thousands of Euros it is normal that you can expect a little more than when you buy some cheap crap from a Chinese webshop.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BertD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:32 pm
Whatever reason they have, I really paid a LOT of money for that bike, for that money I expect decent service. With a bicycle of thousands of Euros it is normal that you can expect a little more than when you buy some cheap crap from a Chinese webshop.
Do you mean that they should offer you pay in between groupset update?
I agree, but i doubt they will.
I looked at Canyone once, but when they told me i needed to change handlebar stem myself (buy a second version), swap saddle and cassette, i backed out.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BertD

by BertD

I understand that a new groupset is more expensive, and as long as it's reasonable I'm willing to pay for it. But if they don't even come up with a proposal to upgrade, but suggest you have to cancel and order a new one instead, I think it's just rude.

doktoroste

by doktoroste

BertD wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:32 pm
At this point even AliExpress would offer a better customer service experience.

damond

by damond

Canyon's whole sales concept is based on direct sale to the customer so that they can reduce the price.

People choose Canyon because of their lower prices. People still want the same customer support/attention to detail they get when they buy from LBS like swaping stem lengths, groupsets, whatever (even at a cost) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

I think this thread has done to death the subject of for and against buying from canyon and their model and the "what do you expect".
Can we stick to updates on the issues and people updating when they have useful news rather than all the gloating and I told you so please.

Lina

by Lina

damond wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 am
Canyon's whole sales concept is based on direct sale to the customer so that they can reduce the price.

People choose Canyon because of their lower prices. People still want the same customer support/attention to detail they get when they buy from LBS like swaping stem lengths, groupsets, whatever (even at a cost) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Direct to consumer isn't all about price. Not all people live in big cities in countries where cycling is a big thing. I have one bike shop within a 3 hour drive of me that even has road bikes. And even with them anything above 105 tier is special order because road cycling just isn't a big thing here. So I can't test ride anything I want to buy unless I do it on a trip to somewhere that has them available. And you can bet that anything is at MSRP if they have to order it. For me being able to purchase the bike, and bike parts, online is a necessity, the prices being lower is just a bonus not the reason. It's not about the price, it's about being able to buy it at all without having to go out of my way. I can order stuff online and have it on my doorstep in the next 1 - 3 days. Or I could call the bike shop that's closest to me, wait for a month+ for them to get what I want, drive over an hour there, and pay double compared to online.

Direct to consumer doesn't have to and in cases like this where it's expensive items shouldn't even mean that the customer service is any worse than in a physical store. It's understandable that they don't want to hassle with switching groupsets etc. but being able to switch pieces that impact your fit should 100% be available. And it's actually much easier for direct to consumer brands where they're the ones assembling the bikes and sending them out. Compared to a shop that gets a bike with whatever length stem from the manufacturer and have to do it themselves.

And it's 100% not acceptable that you don't get anything outside of vague information on when your $$$$ purchase will be shipped and the progress with it. Even more so with products you've ordered months ago.

bikepetrol

by bikepetrol

As has been said before. It is strange, the least, that no one on this forum has mentioned that they were approached by Canyon/GetBikeService to change their bar and seatpost. Nevertheless many of us, myself included, have been told over the past couple of weeks that the first bikes are having their bar/seatpost replaced.

Seems that either none bikes are actually having their bar/seatpost replaced, or no one speaks about it on forums. The latter could be true as there is only a select group of (hopefully soon to be) owners that is active on these forums. However, the chance that no active forum-member is being approached by Canyon/GetBikeService for their replacement is getting smaller by the day.

So, if there is anyone that has been approached yet, could you make yourself heard?
A poll in a Canyon Facebook group seems to shed some light on the situation. Some people are telling their bikes are actually being repaired or are scheduled to being repaired. So it seems to be true that 'no news' on the forum is due to a select group being active on this forum.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com