2021 Canyon Aeroad

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

All the ultimates being sold now with components from the aeroads at a fraction of the cost! Gutted I missed out on those this morning. Getting more and more annoyed with them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FrenchBagoot

by FrenchBagoot

Aerohead23 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 pm
All the ultimates being sold now with components from the aeroads at a fraction of the cost! Gutted I missed out on those this morning. Getting more and more annoyed with them
I thought the Ultimates have always been cheaper than the Aeroads?

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

They have, but 5k with di2 and zipp 404! That's crazy

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Canyon > Bastion

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

Aerohead23 wrote:
Once again, pure speculation. I have the feeling that you are mainly here to criticise Canyon instead of actually wanting to contribute to the topic, I might be wrong though...

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

threefootlongbeaver wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:49 am
Aerohead23 wrote:
Once again, pure speculation. I have the feeling that you are mainly here to criticise Canyon instead of actually wanting to contribute to the topic, I might be wrong though...
If you go back in this thread I've done a lot of sticking up for canyon, but I'm at the end of my rope with them As I really think they're taking the piss now.

mgrl

by mgrl

Aerohead23 wrote:
It's not a fraction of the cost, the 5k one with sram force etap and 404s is the lowest level carbon frame. No lowest level aeroads with di2, but the one with mech ultegra and 58mm Reynolds is a grand or so cheaper, which is the price difference you'd expect. If anything the ultimate - a 6 year old frame - is overpriced compared to the more modern aeroad.

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Where were these upgraded ulitmates? IS it a Euro thing?

mgrl

by mgrl

niklasp

by niklasp

mgrl wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:55 pm
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-bikes ... e=R051_P66

It was this but they've all gone
"New model coming soon"!? That bike is oldie now, so they equip it really good and sell out inventory, maybe.

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

niklasp wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:15 pm

"New model coming soon"!? That bike is oldie now, so they equip it really good and sell out inventory, maybe.
Yea that makes sense, there have been rumors about a new Ultimate. I think they are wait with that until the problems with the Aeroad are dealt with though.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Well Canyon got back to me about my warranty claim with their resolution. Since there are no new frames in stock and no comparable bikes to exchange they have given me two options. Either get a full refund or wait for a frame replacement expected around November.

I'm probably going to take the refund at this point. I figure I can look for a new bike later as I still have my backup bike. If I waited for a replacement frame it would just sit in my basement all winter getting no use anyway.

If I decide to get another Aeroad they will at least have updated the wheelset and possibly groupset by that time. Maybe even have more color options too. Who knows they may even quietly make a mid model frame update to further address the seat post issue. I would take the hit and just deal with the slightly raised prices that are sure to come again.

I'll miss out on the $1200 credit, but I was just going to spend that on a shallower front DT wheel that handles cross winds better. Something the newer DT wheelset is supposed to have addressed.

Good luck to anyone else with a warranty claim out there. I assume you'll also get the same options as me. Hopefully everyone with open orders also get their bikes.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Does that mean they are making new frames for a seat post gasket? Presumably if they're telling you no frames available until November we won't get bikes on order till then either?

TomS

by TomS

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:40 pm
Well Canyon got back to me about my warranty claim with their resolution. Since there are no new frames in stock and no comparable bikes to exchange they have given me two options. Either get a full refund or wait for a frame replacement expected around November.

I'm probably going to take the refund at this point. I figure I can look for a new bike later as I still have my backup bike. If I waited for a replacement frame it would just sit in my basement all winter getting no use anyway.

If I decide to get another Aeroad they will at least have updated the wheelset and possibly groupset by that time. Maybe even have more color options too. Who knows they may even quietly make a mid model frame update to further address the seat post issue. I would take the hit and just deal with the slightly raised prices that are sure to come again.

I'll miss out on the $1200 credit, but I was just going to spend that on a shallower front DT wheel that handles cross winds better. Something the newer DT wheelset is supposed to have addressed.

Good luck to anyone else with a warranty claim out there. I assume you'll also get the same options as me. Hopefully everyone with open orders also get their bikes.
Sorry to hear that; I think I would also get the refund and see what happens re: potential updates to the frame. But... did Canyon acknowledge that your frame was indeed cracked?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

@Aerohead23
I think that would be correct. I'm in the US so it may be slightly different in other areas, but I think the new builds won't be going anywhere until end of Oct early November. I don't know what Canyon will be doing with the Aeroads that went on hold due to the handle bar issue. One would assume they would just apply the fixes and release them to the customer unless there really are going to be changes to the frames.

@TomS
Canyon did acknowledge my frame met the criteria for a warranty exchange. I think my best option is the refund which I'm glad they offered. I'll keep an eye on the Aeroads and see what changes are made to the model after this repair issue is done.