2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:13 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 am
byker wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 6:24 pm
Does anyone know much about the DT Swiss ARC 1600 Dicut wheels? Can't find much info online.
thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:29 pm

I'd feel silly for making compromises on a 6k bike. Also, the color really helps reducing temptation.

I'll wait for the Di2.
Have you decided to go with the Di2 Ultegra version then? I was originally wanting that but SLX 7 with Rival eTap for $1900 CAD less is kinda tempting me.. I know it weights more but it also costs almost 25% less! I guess the other difference is in the wheels so it's worth going with the Di2 version
Those are OEM wheels exclusively for Canyon. As I understand it it's basically a slightly heavier ARC 1400 with a different freehub. I wouldn't worry about the wheels.

I prefer the Di2 version but I'm really tempted by the Rival variant as well. As I already mentioned the weight shouldn't be that much of a concern. However I'm worried by SRAM's ongoing front derailleur adjustment issues and the resulting chain drops. It still seems to be a frequent occurence (Any SRAM riders here?). I'm not sure if that's worth 1.5k € of price difference but let's not pretend that 5k is a no-brainer budget price. In these regions one might as well do it right.

I think I can rule out the Force version though. Same concerns as the Rival option but very little savings.

Since neither bike is available in my size right now I still have time to contemplate my decision... 😕
So is it safe to assume the ARC1600 wheels have DT Swiss 350 hubs (ARC1100's have 180 hubs and ARC1400's have 240 hubs) which are heavy but bombproof, or do they have a pawl hub system?
Interestingly here's a retailer that has them listed with some specs: https://www.alltricks.de/F-46291-roues- ... centerlock

Hower it seems to be an old listing. It mentions an inner rim width of 17 mm while the current ARC range uses 20 mm. However according to the listing they use 350 hubs for the ARC 1600 indeed. Make of that what you will.
yourrealdad wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:25 pm
Bike will not come with oval clamp, and at least in the US I was told not available until October.

I dropped a chain with Force AXS on my SLX 3 times. 2x inside, 1 time outside. Had the LBS look at it and adjust multiple times.

I have adjusted the RED myself on the CFR and installed a chain catcher. So far no drops, but only three rides on it.
Yeah, that's not really reassuring.

What really annoys me about this situation is that you can't make a considered, sensible, informed decision when those bikes are only available for a fleeting moment and never at the same time. You have to make a quick rushed decision. Sure, you might make up your mind while you're waiting but then the other bike suddenly becomes available and you're wondering if you should make compromises.

Imagine not being in a rush and worrying about bikes going out of stock.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

eaten14

by eaten14

Hey, I just installed left power meter crank Stages 3 gen to my Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 size L. I have this much clearance and I was reading mixed up messages about if this is enough or not. What is your opinion? I tried to put 10mm hex key when having original crank and it didn't fit (I guess it was ~9mm). Now it's 3mm+.
281400156_535280208136495_6809402251546192388_n.jpg
279923717_526784595842364_2639416027114048526_n.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Quite a few Aeroads were just added to the outlet - in case anyone regrets not having bought one for the old price.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

eaten14 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:00 am
Hey, I just installed left power meter crank Stages 3 gen to my Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 size L. I have this much clearance and I was reading mixed up messages about if this is enough or not. What is your opinion? I tried to put 10mm hex key when having original crank and it didn't fit (I guess it was ~9mm). Now it's 3mm+.
I am running a third gen Stages powermeter on my Aeroad in size M and it fits and works fine. The clearance from your photo seems similar to the clearance on my size M and I've had no problems with it so far.

Requiem84

by Requiem84

Ordered last Thursday, will receive my Stealth black CLX Ultegra Di2 12s tomorrow :D

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Canyon US is being very hush about bringing the new aeroad models here. At least in the customer service chat on the website they are. Does intone have any info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiltonp

by chiltonp

I got the same repsonse from Canyon USA, wasn't that they were trying to keep things quiet but felt like they honestly had no clue.

I called and simply asked if they had an ETA on Aeroad with 12spd Di2 and the rep had no info whatsoever.

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

What is funny on the US website is that they are pushing back every week the availability of the bikes. Last week it was 5/23, this week it says 5/30. They have been doing this for the last three or four weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frozzberg

by frozzberg

Hi everyone, I'm a long time shadower of this thread. About to pull the trigger on an Aeroad CF SLX etap / ult di2.

Does anyone know what's the stem angle of the integrated cockpit? I've tried to PM Canyon multiple times but their support simply says "they have no idea". I understand from this thread that the reach of the handlebar is approx. 71mm (correct me if i'm wrong), now the missing piece of the puzzle for my fit is the stem angle.

For context, Im currently riding an s-works tarmac sl6 in size 54 w/ a 110mm -6 stem and 80mm reach handlebar. Calculations according to geometry geeks puts the math as follow:

Tarmac SL6 current reach: frame(384) + stem(110) + handlebar(80) = 574mm
Aeroad cf slx disc: frame(390) + stem(90) + handlebar (?)= 480mm (without handlebar reach)

The above is quite worrying in terms of fit for me, I can reduce my tarmac stem length by 10mm and still be fine but the deficit vs the aeroad is still quite stark. Appreciate any help i can get, TIA!

thirdsun

by thirdsun

frozzberg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:29 am
Hi everyone, I'm a long time shadower of this thread. About to pull the trigger on an Aeroad CF SLX etap / ult di2.

Does anyone know what's the stem angle of the integrated cockpit? I've tried to PM Canyon multiple times but their support simply says "they have no idea". I understand from this thread that the reach of the handlebar is approx. 71mm (correct me if i'm wrong), now the missing piece of the puzzle for my fit is the stem angle.

For context, Im currently riding an s-works tarmac sl6 in size 54 w/ a 110mm -6 stem and 80mm reach handlebar. Calculations according to geometry geeks puts the math as follow:

Aeroad cf slx disc: frame(390) + stem(90) + handlebar (?)= 480mm (without handlebar reach)

The above is quite worrying in terms of fit for me, I can reduce my tarmac stem length by 10mm and still be fine but the deficit vs the aeroad is still quite stark. Appreciate any help i can get, TIA!
Canyon provides Stack+ and Reach+ values in their geometry table. This is the Stack/Reach measured at the handlebar (where the stem would meet the bar in a traditional setup). Isn't that what you want to know? If so, no need to calculate. Just look at the Stack/Reach+ values in their geo table and compare to your Tarmac.

Those values are very useful information but I blame Canyon for not explaining them better.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

crabra

by crabra

thirdsun wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:12 am
frozzberg wrote:

Canyon provides Stack+ and Reach+ values in their geometry table. This is the Stack/Reach measured at the handlebar (where the stem would meet the bar in a traditional setup). Isn't that what you want to know? If so, no need to calculate. Just look at the Stack/Reach+ values in their geo table and compare to your Tarmac.

Those values are very useful information but I blame Canyon for not explaining them better.
Reach of the CP0018 bars are 74mm.
Attachments
B5851D78-F037-404D-8477-BFFAED3050A0.jpeg

Sace

by Sace

eaten14 wrote:
Hey, I just installed left power meter crank Stages 3 gen to my Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 size L. I have this much clearance and I was reading mixed up messages about if this is enough or not. What is your opinion? I tried to put 10mm hex key when having original crank and it didn't fit (I guess it was ~9mm). Now it's 3mm+.281400156_535280208136495_6809402251546192388_n.jpg279923717_526784595842364_2639416027114048526_n.jpg
I have had around the same clearance on my bikes with stages and never had an issue. Even on my Grizl that sees way more dirt than my road bikes I have never had clearance issues.

Sace

by Sace

eaten14 wrote:
Hey, I just installed left power meter crank Stages 3 gen to my Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8 size L. I have this much clearance and I was reading mixed up messages about if this is enough or not. What is your opinion? I tried to put 10mm hex key when having original crank and it didn't fit (I guess it was ~9mm). Now it's 3mm+.281400156_535280208136495_6809402251546192388_n.jpg279923717_526784595842364_2639416027114048526_n.jpg
I have had around the same clearance on my bikes with stages and never had an issue. Even on my Grizl that sees way more dirt than my road bikes with no clearance issues.

frozzberg

by frozzberg

thirdsun wrote:
frozzberg wrote:

Thanks for this info! Didn't spot this previously on their charts. From the size S table, Reach+ is listed as 459. From your explanation above this will mean bb-handlebar clamp horizontal is 459mm.

Versus the Tarmac which has technically a reach+ of ~574mm with my current setup that would be a big difference of reach+ in both frames, will this mean technically i can't fit 😂 I'm slightly puzzled now for the huge difference since canyon has recommended me a size S based on 175cm height 83cm inseam. Appreciate your insights if i've interpret the figures correctly, thanks!

thirdsun

by thirdsun

frozzberg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:38 am
thirdsun wrote:
frozzberg wrote:

Thanks for this info! Didn't spot this previously on their charts. From the size S table, Reach+ is listed as 459. From your explanation above this will mean bb-handlebar clamp horizontal is 459mm.

Versus the Tarmac which has technically a reach+ of ~574mm with my current setup that would be a big difference of reach+ in both frames, will this mean technically i can't fit 😂 I'm slightly puzzled now for the huge difference since canyon has recommended me a size S based on 175cm height 83cm inseam. Appreciate your insights if i've interpret the figures correctly, thanks!
I think you're comparing 2 different values.

Reach+ is measured from the bottom bracket to the point where the steam meets the handle bar. Looking at the Tarmac SL 6 geo table the equivalent measurement would be frame reach (384) + stem (110, well slightly shorter due to the angle - let's say 100) = 484. That's not too far off the Aeroad.

Your earlier calculation included the handle bar reach (which is the distance from the crossbar to the hoods) - for your Tarmac that seems to amount to 574. If we include that distance in the Aeroad we are looking at 459 (Reach+) + 74 (handle bar reach, see crabra's post) = 533

So it's ca. 484 vs 459 at the handle bar or 574 vs 533 at the hoods.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com