2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:57 pm
Only color that looks good is Alpecin-Deceuninck Replica and atleast here, only in CFR version which is too expensive.
Same shitty BB86 standard to :(
Agree that BB86 is not ideal. But let's not overstate things - there are very nice threaded BBs that you can slot in there to replace stock plastic cups that will work trouble free for years. Although yes, 30mm axle is best avoided. I suppose this is why they went with Rotor for their CFR DA setup - Rotor allows you to choose between 30mm and 24mm axles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

I'm interested in an Aeroad CF SLX 8 Disc Di2, it seems to match my needs. I'm quite a tall rider at 196cm. With very tall legs so I need my saddle to be quite high. Looking at the geometrie of a XXL frame, the seatpost lenght (B) is 623mm, the seatpost itself is 335mm, minus the minimum insertion of 122mm. Would be a total of 623mm + 213mm = 836mm. That would not be enough for me, did anyone else face this problem and find a solution? Darimo for example doesn't mentoin available for the latest model Aeroad. They do make very long seatposts so I guess that could be an option.

TomS

by TomS

MrRolandos wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:58 pm
I'm interested in an Aeroad CF SLX 8 Disc Di2, it seems to match my needs. I'm quite a tall rider at 196cm. With very tall legs so I need my saddle to be quite high. Looking at the geometrie of a XXL frame, the seatpost lenght (B) is 623mm, the seatpost itself is 335mm, minus the minimum insertion of 122mm. Would be a total of 623mm + 213mm = 836mm. That would not be enough for me, did anyone else face this problem and find a solution? Darimo for example doesn't mentoin available for the latest model Aeroad. They do make very long seatposts so I guess that could be an option.
I have a 2XL; (also SLX di2) I'm 190cm but very long legs (I think my inseam is95 or 96, measured at canyon Koblenz). I have 8mm to spare (seattube insertion wise), and the rails are 83cm from center BB. Standard saddle is then at 87.5 (top). LMK if you need me to measure anything.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

My BB86 in the Endurace has served really really well. What's so bad about it? My Trek Domane ALR had creaking BB all the time.

bobones

by bobones

NordicSal wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 pm
My BB86 in the Endurace has served really really well. What's so bad about it? My Trek Domane ALR had creaking BB all the time.
Its 41 mm bore is smaller than ideal for 30 mm spindles or DUB (28.99mm). BB386EVO at 46 mm would perhaps be a better choice if sticking with press fit.

That being said, I have 2 well made BB86 frames (Giant and Basso) with DUB cranks and standard, cheap SRAM DUB BB cups and haven't experienced any problems with durability or noise, and I frequently ride in wet conditions. So I have come to believe that the theoretical shortcomings of BB86 with DUB are somewhat overblown and not necessarily borne out in practice.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

NordicSal wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 pm
The 30mm ID bearings for BB86 is 41mm OD and 25% less durable than a 42mm OD bearing.
Totally st*pid to use this BB standard.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

TomS wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:10 pm
MrRolandos wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:58 pm
I have a 2XL; (also SLX di2) I'm 190cm but very long legs (I think my inseam is95 or 96, measured at canyon Koblenz). I have 8mm to spare (seattube insertion wise), and the rails are 83cm from center BB. Standard saddle is then at 87.5 (top). LMK if you need me to measure anything.
Yeah I am 196cm, 98cm legs. Currently rails is +/- 85cm from center and top is like 88cm. And my fitter told me I can push the saddle up more. I think thats gonna be a problem :o

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Norsgaard is 202 cm and fitting on an XL, just saying.

I really hope I could fit on an XL too, merely because of looks.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Could someone with an Aeroad with bars at full height tell me this distance (to the point at the center part of the bars)?

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Does anyone know if people from canyon are actually reading this forum? I really wish they were more transparent about the decisions they have made with the aeroad. None of them make sense and in the US I haven’t been able to get any info from anyone on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

I can guarantee someone is reading this forum from Canyon. But I can also guarantee that they won't answer to you here. Or give explanations for why they've chosen to do some of the things they did.

spartacus

by spartacus

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm
Does anyone know if people from canyon are actually reading this forum? I really wish they were more transparent about the decisions they have made with the aeroad. None of them make sense and in the US I haven’t been able to get any info from anyone on anything.

Their engineers' heads are so far up their asses that they would probably tell everone here that has an issue they're doing something wrong and the design is perfectly great. I don't know how familiar you guys are with older German engineers but some of these guys have heads that are made of concrete.

If you don't believe me look at their presentation about that self steering crap, talk about a circle jerk.People that raise their hand and say "this kinda doesn't make sense?" don't last in places like Canyon.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

spartacus wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:

Their engineers' heads are so far up their asses that they would probably tell everone here that has an issue they're doing something wrong and the design is perfectly great. I don't know how familiar you guys are with older German engineers but some of these guys have heads that are made of concrete.

If you don't believe me look at their presentation about that self steering crap, talk about a circle jerk.People that raise their hand and say "this kinda doesn't make sense?" don't last in places like Canyon.
I really hope this isn’t the case.

Lina

by Lina

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 pm
spartacus wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:

I really hope this isn’t the case.

Have you seen the engineering choices they've made lately?

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Thanks for explaining the BB stuff.

I am thinking about replacing my crankset to a QUARQ+SRAM Red DUB from normal Shimano Ultegra on the Endurace. Is this combo equally bad as the standard Ultegra I have now, or is it worse, and for what reason? I know it's kinda off topic, but it's the same BB the Aeroad uses anyway.

Also, it seems to me that Canyon have obviously steered away from solely trying to create "the best bikes ever" and more into making it easier for them to make their bikes cheaper to manufacture and ship.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com