2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

pedrop wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm
Hi, after 2100km the handlebar screws of my Aeroad CF SL 8.0 have loosened. It is true that I have never checked. I had tightened the screws to 5nm as recommended. Has anyone had a similar experience? do you have any tricks to overcome this problem in the future?
I have this same issue. I followed the advice of Cannoli and purchased locktite. When I attempted to unscrew the bolt completely I discovered this is not just an average bolt but another piece of custom engineering. I can only loosen the bolt. It doesn't come out all the way so it looks like I cannot apply locktite. Am I missing something?

Hapatron

by Hapatron

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:27 pm
Question.

For those Aeroad owners who have sold the stock DT Swiss ARC dicut 1400 wheelset, what did you get for it? I'm considering putting mine up for sale to fund the purchase of either the new dicut 1400's or a similar depth wheelset and was curious what to list them for.
I sold mine new for $1400 back in January and got another $150 for the Contis and Tubes (also sold the Ultegra Di2 groupset on there) and ended up with ENVE Fundation 65's and DuraAce Di2 instead.

What saddle is that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pedrop

by pedrop

yungillmatic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:06 pm
pedrop wrote:
Hi, after 2100km the handlebar screws of my Aeroad CF SL 8.0 have loosened. It is true that I have never checked. I had tightened the screws to 5nm as recommended. Has anyone had a similar experience? do you have any tricks to overcome this problem in the future?
I have this same issue. I followed the advice of Cannoli and purchased locktite. When I attempted to unscrew the bolt completely I discovered this is not just an average bolt but another piece of custom engineering. I can only loosen the bolt. It doesn't come out all the way so it looks like I cannot apply locktite. Am I missing something?
...on my bike (CF SL 8 ) the bolts are possible to unscrew completely. :noidea:
Aeroad CF SL 8 Disc 8kg

Cannoli

by Cannoli

yungillmatic wrote:
pedrop wrote:
They should come out completely as they are just standard fasteners. They may be getting hung up on the cables. Simply loosen them completely then give them a gentle tug.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

pedrop wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:58 pm
yungillmatic wrote:
pedrop wrote:
Gotcha. I got the CF SLX 8 and the whole unit is custom. Guess I'll have to keep checking it every now and then :|

Cannoli

by Cannoli

yungillmatic wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:46 pm
pedrop wrote:
yungillmatic wrote:
pedrop wrote:
Gotcha. I got the CF SLX 8 and the whole unit is custom. Guess I'll have to keep checking it every now and then :|
The SLX and CFR use the same design bars, and the screws come out on my CFR. In fact, I had to install them to begin with (and so did you if you built your bike after delivery).
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

My plan on those bolts had always been 1: use loctite, 2: a neatly cut piece of electrical tape over them.
all bolts will loosen , sure when your bike gets a service thats what any good mechanic is doing is checking torque on all the bolts.
Dont think there is a need to jump to any conclusions here that is an issue.
Every 1000km you should be checking all bolts torque.

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

Cannoli wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 pm
yungillmatic wrote:
pedrop wrote:
yungillmatic wrote:

The SLX and CFR use the same design bars, and the screws come out on my CFR. In fact, I had to install them to begin with (and so did you if you built your bike after delivery).
Ah I misread the initial post. My bad. In my case I was refering to the single screw that is part of the headset thingy.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

yungillmatic wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:57 am
Cannoli wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 pm
yungillmatic wrote:
pedrop wrote:

Ah I misread the initial post. My bad. In my case I was refering to the single screw that is part of the headset thingy.
Gotcha. That's the headset preload adjuster at the top (under the rubber cap) and doesn't need thread locker. The 4mm bolt at the back side of the stem where the spacers are should come out and should be checked regularly. My wife's came loose during a ride and scared her half to death on a descent. I blame the shade tree mechanic (me) for that one. :D

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Been a long time since we had any word from canyon. Does anyone have any updates when we might see our bikes?

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

The last update I recieved was from a tech when I was going back and forth about the "hands free" riding issue I was having. He said the latest information that he heard was that the drops would be emailed out to those who have a place to get them professionally installed. I'm assuming that this is still sometime in July, but for those who can have the drops shipped out/installed it would most likely mean less downtime than if you had to send the bike back.

Sidenote: since I see some questions about the head/stem bolts. Is there any specific source for how tight to get the preload adjuster screw (the one on the top of the stem that you have to use the long tool to reach) or is it just tight enough so there isn't any play? Then lock down the single bolt on the back side by the spacers to 9nm. Because that's the method that I have been using, preload until there isn't any play, then 9nm on the bolt by the spacer.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

But what about those of us that ordered and our bikes never came? Are we writing those orders off? As surely the new ultegra di2 and new etap will come out

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

That I have no info on as it's a totally different situation than I'm in. That probably has multiple factors that may even be out of Canyons hands. They'll probably get what ever Shimano sends them first

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 pm
But what about those of us that ordered and our bikes never came? Are we writing those orders off? As surely the new ultegra di2 and new etap will come out
I am in the same situation as you. My bike was supposed to be delivered around now...
I had a couple of mails exchange with Canyon's CS in Germany.
To the question "would we get an updated version of the bike if a new version (new DA/Ultegra) is released in fall", I got the following answer (end of March):
"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, this currently affects all of our Aerod customers.
Currently we do not know if a new bike at the same time comes on the market.
But I do not expect it.

Of course, you have enough time to wait and adjust if necessary.
You are of course free to cancel the order until the time when it leaves our house.
"

And to the question, "Can we expect any kind of compensation for the extra 6 months wait", I got that one (two weeks ago):

"
Thank you for your email.

In this case, as the order has not been delivered or processed, we are not offering a discount as you are on your complete right to cancel the order anytime you wish. We can well imagine how difficult it is for you to wait longer for your bike - but we hope for your understanding.
"
So it sounds to me like you will get what you ordered, nothing more and/or updated and no compensation.
I understand their point; they don't have to propose any compensation to people who didn't receive the bike yet, as we can cancel whenever we want. Nevertheless, even if the bike turns out to be very good and hopefuly without any issue when they finaly send it, that, combined with the very steep price increase in January (I tried to order in October, didn't managed) might let me a very bitter aftertaste.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Jeffouille wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:06 am
Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 pm
I am in the same situation as you. My bike was supposed to be delivered around now...
I had a couple of mails exchange with Canyon's CS in Germany.
To the question "would we get an updated version of the bike if a new version (new DA/Ultegra) is released in fall", I got the following answer (end of March):
"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, this currently affects all of our Aerod customers.
Currently we do not know if a new bike at the same time comes on the market.
But I do not expect it.

Of course, you have enough time to wait and adjust if necessary.
You are of course free to cancel the order until the time when it leaves our house.
"

And to the question, "Can we expect any kind of compensation for the extra 6 months wait", I got that one (two weeks ago):

"
Thank you for your email.

In this case, as the order has not been delivered or processed, we are not offering a discount as you are on your complete right to cancel the order anytime you wish. We can well imagine how difficult it is for you to wait longer for your bike - but we hope for your understanding.
"
So it sounds to me like you will get what you ordered, nothing more and/or updated and no compensation.
I understand their point; they don't have to propose any compensation to people who didn't receive the bike yet, as we can cancel whenever we want. Nevertheless, even if the bike turns out to be very good and hopefuly without any issue when they finaly send it, that, combined with the very steep price increase in January (I tried to order in October, didn't managed) might let me a very bitter aftertaste.
I'm exactly the same, missed the October batch , had to swallow the price increase and now no bike and can't get a bike for the summer. I don't expect and compensation but I would expect them to give me the latest di2 if it's out when the bikes can be shipped or at the very least give us first refusals on any new models in a pre order situation. I could see them they saying all old orders are cancelled and you have to order again and I'll miss out to someone who hadn't ordered before . That would really piss me off

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com