2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottydonald

by scottydonald

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 pm
I also had difficulties with shipping the bike back and the handlbar. Everything else made sense, but it was just awkward for the bar. I also had AXS so probably easier than di2.

As far as tire clearance. I am running a GP5000 on 21mm ID rims and running a 28mm and there looks like there is easily room for a 30mm and possible a 32mm. Front looks to be able to run whatever you damn well please.

Can't give you a weight as mine is the SLX.
Thank you sir.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

denchr wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm
Recieved delivery notice for my SLX di2 (blue) model in XS the day before yesterday with estimated delivery in the start of February. Wrote to them that I would prefer to update my order to the upgraded 12 speed version and would be ok to wait a bit longer - I am really not interested in buying a new full price bike and receive "last year's model". I was told that they expect that the 12 speed models would be made available to order in May, but the delivery times where unclear at the moment. So far they haven't replied to my request to update, but I would suspect the answer would be the same as the rest of you have received: cancel your current order and take your chances...
This is the same spec/size that I ordered. Still no delivery notification. I too asked the question about the 12sp option and was told the same thing - cancel and wait. They never mentioned a potential release date though. Can I take a chance and wait until May, and maybe delivered after the summer? I'm not so sure.

cberg

by cberg

Still waiting for notice on my white/large SLX order. It seems weird because they were already delivering those early last week... I wonder if having items added to my order later changed anything. Canyon support says no, but still :|

denchr

by denchr

Dieselbike wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 am
denchr wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:56 pm
Recieved delivery notice for my SLX di2 (blue) model in XS the day before yesterday with estimated delivery in the start of February. Wrote to them that I would prefer to update my order to the upgraded 12 speed version and would be ok to wait a bit longer - I am really not interested in buying a new full price bike and receive "last year's model". I was told that they expect that the 12 speed models would be made available to order in May, but the delivery times where unclear at the moment. So far they haven't replied to my request to update, but I would suspect the answer would be the same as the rest of you have received: cancel your current order and take your chances...
This is the same spec/size that I ordered. Still no delivery notification. I too asked the question about the 12sp option and was told the same thing - cancel and wait. They never mentioned a potential release date though. Can I take a chance and wait until May, and maybe delivered after the summer? I'm not so sure.
Yeah - it is really a modern day "marshmallow test". Do you seek instant gratification and one marshmallow now, or are you able to wait out and perhaps get a more up to date spec'ed bike - equalling double up on marshmallows... I have come to the conclusion, that if I accept my current order I would absolutely love it - until the new version comes out, and then I would be full of regret... This is really an annoying situation Canyon has put us in...

Lina

by Lina

There's no way the 12 speed models wouldn't be quite a bit more expensive though. So with that and selling off the 11 speed parts you might get pretty close to the price you'd pay for one while getting your bike earlier.

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

Agreed, we have no indication of price. Therefore the marshmallow analogy is a little different. Get a one beautiful marshmallow now at a great price, or wait for a marshmallow that is a little sweeter but pay a lot more.

Enough about marshmallows. I'm considering taking delivery of my original order anyway. I could always order the newer version when it comes available and sell on the 11sp to someone who is waiting or missed the boat. The 11sp will still hold its value because there is still a big shortage in the market.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Dieselbike wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:53 am
Agreed, we have no indication of price.
We have some indication of price.

The Endurace CF SL 8 Aero was just updated with Ultegra R8100 and the price went up from 4499 € to 4799 €. They also changed the wheel set from Reynolds AR41 DB to DT Swiss ERC 1400 Dicut but I think a 300 € increase is realistic. That would also allow Canyon to stay just below that big 6000 € mark. Therefore my guess is 5999 € for the 12 speed Aeroad CF SLX. I hope it's less but I could live with that.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

TomS

by TomS

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:14 am
Dieselbike wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:53 am
Agreed, we have no indication of price.
We have some indication of price.

The Endurace CF SL 8 Aero was just updated with Ultegra R8100 and the price went up from 4499 € to 4799 €. They also changed the wheel set from Reynolds AR41 DB to DT Swiss ERC 1400 Dicut but I think a 300 € increase is realistic. That would also allow Canyon to stay just below that big 6000 € mark. Therefore my guess is 5999 € for the 12 speed Aeroad CF SLX. I hope it's less but I could live with that.
I (unfortunately) doubt this will be true - it would not make much sense for Canyon to piss off the current/future 11-sp aeroad owners by bumping the price by only 300euro. Which in fact is only 200 given that you need to buy the EWU-111 and additional cable for the 11-sp while it comes standard on the 12-sp (that's what Canyon CS told me anyway).

I'm expecting them to increase profit margins as most other bikes are >7k now for Ultegra di2 (Merida Reacto, Trek Madone SL7, ...). somewhere around 6200 or so. But I admit this is pure speculation on my part :lol:

mgrl

by mgrl

You don't NEED the wireless unit (and yes it is integrated into the 12 speed)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

TomS wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:36 am
I (unfortunately) doubt this will be true - it would not make much sense for Canyon to piss off the current/future 11-sp aeroad owners by bumping the price by only 300euro. Which in fact is only 200 given that you need to buy the EWU-111 and additional cable for the 11-sp while it comes standard on the 12-sp (that's what Canyon CS told me anyway).

I'm expecting them to increase profit margins as most other bikes are >7k now for Ultegra di2 (Merida Reacto, Trek Madone SL7, ...). somewhere around 6200 or so. But I admit this is pure speculation on my part :lol:

Well, let's not pretend that 300 € isn't a significant increase. You and I may think it's fine but other customers might feel they got a great deal with the current price 11 speed Aeroad once the increase kicks in.

Sure, it's still great value - particularly compared to other manufacturers. However Canyon has always been priced below competition. I mean let's just take the mentioned Endurace CF SL 8 Aero: https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=GY%2FBK - even with the price increase you'd be hard pressed to find a similarly spec'ed bike under 6000 €.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

TomS

by TomS

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 am
TomS wrote:

Well, let's not pretend that 300 € isn't a significant increase. You and I may think it's fine but other customers might feel they got a great deal with the current price 11 speed Aeroad once the increase kicks in.

Sure, it's still great value - particularly compared to other manufacturers. However Canyon has always been priced below competition. I mean let's just take the mentioned Endurace CF SL 8 Aero: https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=GY%2FBK - even with the price increase you'd be hard pressed to find a similarly spec'ed bike under 6000 €.
Sorry, was not my intention to say 300euro wasn’t much in absolute sense, just that I expect it to be more than that.

And yes, you don’t need the wireless unit. I do.

And I’d be perfectly happy whenever I will finally get my 11-sp Aeroad…

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

In Ireland, the price went up 200 euro since I placed my order last year, so it's already 200 more for the 11sp. I would be happy to pay 300 more for the new groupset but I just don't see that becoming reality. I expect 500 to 600 more, or even more if they increase the specs of the saddle or wheels.

The problem is we are guessing and nobody really knows - it's hard to make a decision without knowing all the facts.
And Canyon should be cheaper than some of the other brands mentioned because of their consumer direct online model. They cut out the middle man to help lower the cost.

tomtom

by tomtom

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 am
TomS wrote:

And a 4iii PM included(!)....that alone is about 250/300 euro. No other bike comes standard with such feature as far as I know
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

cberg

by cberg

Just got my payment notice :) Hopefully only a few days left now

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

cberg wrote: