2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cannoli

by Cannoli

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm
cearoad22 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:50 am
Well, speaking of slipping: While my seat post was slipping in the beginning I have the opposite problem with the saddle: I'd like to adjust the tilt but that thing sits so tight that I can't it loose. I understand that it apparently needs a good smacking but I feel as if I already hit it as hard as I feel comfortable with. I don't want to damage anything.

Great bike still, but the whole seatpost and saddle attachment design feels completely over-engineered.
I had the same issues with adjusting the tilt. They probably used carbon gripper to further strengthen the clamp. You need to hold the saddle with two hands and slowly but firmly try to tilt it in either direction. Screw needs to be loose. You need quite a bit of force then it suddenly becomse loose. Giving it a smack could work aswell, but you might apply too much force. It's definitely not as easy as they make it out to be in the manual.

Also you need to apply atleast 15Nm or the tilt will unloosen itself when driving over bumps. I had this happen, now using a bit more than 15Nm.

I love this bike, but the seatpost adjustments are a mess.
Thanks, will try again. As far as I remember though the required force almost has to feel as if I'm going to break my saddle. I'll try not to :)
The hand tilting technique didn't work for me. I had to use a soft face dead blow hammer to get it to break loose. I put the stock saddle with the metal rails on to do this as I didn't want to risk cracking my carbon ceramic rails on my Selle Italia. A firm sharp blow did the trick (with the saddle rail bolt completely removed of course. This allowed me to replace the round rail mount with the oval rail mount that I bought from Canyon.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Why can’t canyon design a seatpost for the aeroad that is more similar to the new Scott foil? Even with the different position for the seatpost clamp I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:28 pm
Why can’t canyon design a seatpost for the aeroad that is more similar to the new Scott foil? Even with the different position for the seatpost clamp I don’t see why this wouldn’t be possible.

It shares one shortcoming though: Apparently the seatpost of the new Foil has to be serviced every 1000 Km as well, similar to Canyon's recommendation.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

That’s unfortunate

Robius

by Robius

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:28 pm

New Felt AR has the best seatpost design imho. If they need to copy something they should copy it.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Anyone know the stem angle on the CP0018 cockpit? Someone asked but never got an answer. I thought it was negative, but looking at it it appears to be positive.

+6°?

Thanks

Edit: Got off the phone with Canyon. It is confirmed to be -6°

CP0018 is -6°
CP0015 is -17°

kipers

by kipers

Speaking of handlebars - do anyone knows anything about aero bar extension for CP018? Is it coming? Any 3rd party? I would kill for one.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

cearoad22 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:
Well, speaking of slipping: While my seat post was slipping in the beginning I have the opposite problem with the saddle: I'd like to adjust the tilt but that thing sits so tight that I can't it loose. I understand that it apparently needs a good smacking but I feel as if I already hit it as hard as I feel comfortable with. I don't want to damage anything.

Great bike still, but the whole seatpost and saddle attachment design feels completely over-engineered.
I had the same issues with adjusting the tilt. They probably used carbon gripper to further strengthen the clamp. You need to hold the saddle with two hands and slowly but firmly try to tilt it in either direction. Screw needs to be loose. You need quite a bit of force then it suddenly becomse loose. Giving it a smack could work aswell, but you might apply too much force. It's definitely not as easy as they make it out to be in the manual.

Also you need to apply atleast 15Nm or the tilt will unloosen itself when driving over bumps. I had this happen, now using a bit more than 15Nm.

Just a quick update: It worked. The slow and forceful tilt method did the trick. However I never would have pushed on if I hadn't read up on the difficulties about this process before. It fellt as if I'm going to break something.

On an unrelated note: The other day my seatpost slipped down during a ride though it was tightened to spec. Since then I have what might be described as seatpost slippage PTSD. Now I always ride with that uneasy feeling, particularly on rough surfaces - "Did it slip again? Better check." - of course it hasn't but the anxiety is there :)
  • Vitus Venon Evo

cearoad22

by cearoad22

thirdsun wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:00 am
cearoad22 wrote:
thirdsun wrote:

Just a quick update: It worked. The slow and forceful tilt method did the trick. However I never would have pushed on if I hadn't read up on the difficulties about this process before. It fellt as if I'm going to break something.

On an unrelated note: The other day my seatpost slipped down during a ride though it was tightened to spec. Since then I have what might be described as seatpost slippage PTSD. Now I always ride with that uneasy feeling, particularly on rough surfaces - "Did it slip again? Better check." - of course it hasn't but the anxiety is there :)
Seatpost slippage PTSD is a thing with this bike, yes.
You need to apply carbon gripper paste inside where the clamping screw would connect with the seatpost. This adds friction and that way with 5Nm torque the seatpost stays firm. My bike came with not enough paste pre installed so I had slipping aswell. I used the Parktool Carbon Supergrip paste and it works well.

BernieV

by BernieV

Does anybody know if there is an alternative for the default CP0018 cockpit?
At this moment I'm riding the Aeroad CF SLX (size XL) from 2016 with a 130/410 cockpit. I had to buy a new cockpit other then the default one with a 110 mm stem.
The new Aeroad CFR (in size XL) is again with a default 110 mm stem and there is no way to swap or buy another cockpit with a 130 mm stem according to Canyon Belgium. So I can't buy this bike :-(

Are there other possibilities with aerocockpits that are compatible with the Aeroad CFR?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

BernieV wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 pm
At this moment I'm riding the Aeroad CF SLX (size XL) from 2016 with a 130/410 cockpit. I had to buy a new cockpit other then the default one with a 110 mm stem.
The new Aeroad CFR (in size XL) is again with a default 110 mm stem and there is no way to swap or buy another cockpit with a 130 mm stem according to Canyon Belgium. So I can't buy this bike :-(

Are there other possibilities with aerocockpits that are compatible with the Aeroad CFR?
There is no alternative and for me it was not possible to source a second cp018 from canyon Germany.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

That’s the problem with designing a stupid proprietary bar and stem

Lina

by Lina

BernieV wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 pm

The alternative is buying the CF SL model with traditional cockpit that you can swap. That is if you want an Aeroad.

BernieV

by BernieV

Lina wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:32 pm
The alternative is buying the CF SL model with traditional cockpit that you can swap. That is if you want an Aeroad.
I have an Aeroad at this moment (model 2016) but I want to buy the new Aeroad CFR.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

BernieV wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:04 am
Lina wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:32 pm
I have an Aeroad at this moment (model 2016) but I want to buy the new Aeroad CFR.
You won't be able to change the cockpit then.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com