2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mal

by mal

Hi!
Any update regarding next steps from Canyon? The latest I have:
- 17th March--official fix announcement for the seatpost issue
- no info on handlebars/STI
- CF SLX 8 shipment will be delayed (original date was the beginning of April)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

Seatpost news will probably come in a few hours, it's still pretty early in Germany :)

hhp5711

by hhp5711

Very excited to hear what they'll come up with.

But if this is true, who would still want their Aeroad delivered with the old 11-speed groupset, just a couple of months before the brand new 12-speed Shimano groups are launched..?
DA_12.jpg
(from the "Next generation of Dura-Ace Di2" thread)

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

hhp5711 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:36 am

But if this is true, who would still want their Aeroad delivered with the old 11-speed groupset, just a couple of months before the brand new 12-speed Shimano groups are launched..? DA_12.jpg
If they can still sell it now, they'd be stupid to wait until Dura Ace 9200 becomes widely available. Canyon hasn't sold a Aeroad in weeks...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

joaoapura

by joaoapura

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:30 am
hhp5711 wrote:

But if this is true, who would still want their Aeroad delivered with the old 11-speed groupset, just a couple of months before the brand new 12-speed Shimano groups are launched..? DA_12.jpg
If they can still sell it now, they'd be stupid to wait until Dura Ace 9200 becomes widely available. Canyon hasn't sold a Aeroad in weeks...
I would bet they will add the new Shimano (and SRAM) groups in the 2022 Aeroad and use that to increase prices.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

joaoapura wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:28 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:30 am
hhp5711 wrote:

I would bet they will add the new Shimano (and SRAM) groups in the 2022 Aeroad and use that to increase prices.
This sounds like a logical line of thinking. However with the limited availability of 9100's for new builds, they may have to publish the 9200 sooner than 2022 (with the obligatory price increase, of course). I doubt they will be shipping before Fall 2021 though (unless Shimano has been mass-producing the 9200 behind the scenes)
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

I had a rather cryptic conversation a few days ago with Canyon. While they said they could not adjust the price of a bike for me (looking at an Ultimate since my Aeroad is collecting dust) the rep did say that there was some news coming out around today that would make it right and help me get on a bike. He said this in reference to the Ultimate, not the Aeroad. That or he mixed up the bikes.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Late in the day now and still nothing, Makes me think no news is coming .

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

No news is good news.

J/K

doktoroste

by doktoroste

I just received an email from Canyon.

As it is in German, here are the key points:
- They will provide a new handlebar as of July
- Every owner will receive a discount of 1.000 Euro on the Aeroad if they wait until the replacement
- No news on the seatpost, they expect news in autumn
- They advise to not ride the bike until the replacement of handlebars.

Voss27

by Voss27

They just posted this over on FB:

As promised, we'll keep you updated on the actual Aeroad topics. In addition to this Social Media statement, we will inform all customers via email – those who already got an Aeroad and of course, all who actually have a bike on order.
As you know, our Alpecin-Fenix Cycling Team
pro Mathieu van der Poel broke part of the handlebars of his Canyon Aeroad CFR during a bike race at the beginning of March. This did not show up in any of our industry-standard intensive testing procedures according to ISO4210-5, which we always carry out before launching new products. To ensure the safety of our customers, we will replace the drop bars on the cockpit with a reinforced version.
Therefore, we will equip all CFR and CF SLX bikes in the market with the new drop bars, which will be available from July. We have asked our customers not to use their Aeroads until then. To compensate them for the downtime of not being able to ride their Aeroad CFR and CF SLX and to thank them for their loyalty and patience, we will give them a credit. The payment is linked to the repair and will be made after the replacement of the drop bars has been carried out and they have received their Aeroad back from us. We will contact them in due time about the exact repair and payment procedure.
You are probably also wondering about the status of the seat post. The improvement of the seat post will take longer than we originally thought. We currently expect to be able to offer a suitable solution in the autumn that will satisfy our customers and us 100%. We are sorry that we cannot give you an earlier date now. We are also very sorry that we will probably not be able to deliver ordered Aeroads before autumn this year. We ask for your understanding and apologize for a long time off the bike or the waiting time and will also offer compensation for those who won’t be able to use their bikes.
It is important to us that all customers can ride their Aeroads as soon as possible - just like the riders of our pro teams who are currently riding the Aeroad from victory to victory. The handlebars solution used here is safe and complies with UCI regulations, but unfortunately, it is not suitable for series production. Our pro teams will also receive new drop bars and will be equipped with the same configuration as our customers in the future.
Cheers
Robert
Your Canyon Team

doktoroste

by doktoroste

...and they have received their Aeroad back from us...
I'm really not excited to pack my Aeroad again, send it back, wait for a new bar to be assembled, wait for the DHL guy and reassamble the bike again. But to get back 1000 Euro on the other hand...

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

So that is all fine and dandy, but the credit is linked to the repair, which won't happen until July-August?
I need a road bike now. I would honestly buy an Ultimate from them today if I had that credit. Now I might just have to go with another brand and Canyon might lose me forever.

joaoapura

by joaoapura

To compensate you for the downtime of not being able to ride your Aeroad CF SLX and to thank you for your loyalty and patience, we will give you a credit of 1,000 Euros (or the equivalent amount in your local currency).
Credit means it can only be used for purchases in Canyon's web shop, correct? :?

What happens if I made mods to the bike? Am I still elegible for the repair? :noidea:

doktoroste

by doktoroste

joaoapura wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 pm
Credit means it can only be used for purchases in Canyon's web shop, correct? :?
I understood it as you get back 1000 Euro from your original price, but now I'm not sure anymore as well :|

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com