2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thirdsun

by thirdsun

madden2010 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:46 pm
I guess not many are a fan of the Hot Salsa paint job as its the only version that seems to be in stock in various sizes of the SLX
I guess that's one way to improve availability :)

It's my impression that people universally hate this color option. I don't like it either and I'm not very particular about frame colors.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

chicagocyclist wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 am
What's everyone's take on CFR ha SLX? I believe stiffness and tube profiles are identical and the only difference is weight (and obviously groupset/wheels). Seems like a hefty price for a few grams less on the Cfr model where I can't imagine there's any noticeable change in ride quality at all. Others agree?
Just did a TT last night on my CFR. Dropped 25 seconds on a 9 mile course compared to last year on the SLX. Shallower wheels this time around too (55 vs 80), so it must be the bike! 😂🤣🤷🏻

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Ride today. I think my seatpost is creaking. Sounds almost like a rattle or circular, but not. Goes away standing up.

Just to be clear tape goes on the back of the post like when we were trying to stop the wear?

TomS

by TomS

yourrealdad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:16 am
Ride today. I think my seatpost is creaking. Sounds almost like a rattle or circular, but not. Goes away standing up.

Just to be clear tape goes on the back of the post like when we were trying to stop the wear?
I put mine all around the bottom part of the seatpost few days ago, will try today whether that helps. FYI - went to Canyon CS center few weeks ago, they "fixed" it permanently they claimed.... permanent for 1200km or so yes, but it was back louder than ever on my last ride... taper worked fine for me before I went back to Canyon.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Damn, is there anyone with any iteration of the bike without seat post issues that require some sort of hack?

hubevash

by hubevash

my frame broke again, exactly in the same place as the previous one, rear fork ...

stoney

by stoney

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:00 am
Damn, is there anyone with any iteration of the bike without seat post issues that require some sort of hack?
The Canyon engineers definitely fell short when they designed this bike.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

stoney wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 am
Eterna7m wrote:
yeah, if you have to introduce newer features to advertise, because only stating "its 2 w more aerodynamic than the predecessor" is apparently not enough, so they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
I am just confused how this was not uncovered during prototyping.
I mean, we do not know what % of bikes is actually affected and i know that negative feedback is voiced the loudest but the % seems quite high regardless.

Lina

by Lina

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:03 pm
stoney wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 am
Eterna7m wrote:
yeah, if you have to introduce newer features to advertise, because only stating "its 2 w more aerodynamic than the predecessor" is apparently not enough, so they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
I am just confused how this was not uncovered during prototyping.
I mean, we do not know what % of bikes is actually affected and i know that negative feedback is voiced the loudest but the % seems quite high regardless.
I'm 100% sure they found out that the seatpost gets worn in a non-structural part that's hidden in the frame. What they didn't understand is how fuzzy some people are about their bikes. The seatpost design isn't even that bad, it allows for thick aero post that's still comfortable. That means it will be flexing. And unless the hole is a lot larger than the tube it will chafe and wear slightly. It really shouldn't matter. Now is it worth it? Probably not. Were there reports of the seatpost creaking before the fixes?

I'm also sure they wouldn't have done anything regarding the seatpost unless the whole handlebar fiasco happened. And that handlebar is really where they *f##k* up big time. From all I've heard it's a proper pain in the ass to work on, it's not easy to change cockpit length, it required their proprietary brifter mounts. They reinvented the wheel so many time for that cockpit when there are plenty of perfectly working solutions on the market for hidden cables.

tomtom

by tomtom

yourrealdad wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:22 pm
chicagocyclist wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 am
What's everyone's take on CFR ha SLX? I believe stiffness and tube profiles are identical and the only difference is weight (and obviously groupset/wheels). Seems like a hefty price for a few grams less on the Cfr model where I can't imagine there's any noticeable change in ride quality at all. Others agree?
Just did a TT last night on my CFR. Dropped 25 seconds on a 9 mile course compared to last year on the SLX. Shallower wheels this time around too (55 vs 80), so it must be the bike! 😂🤣🤷🏻
I hope so.....but did you compare your NP as well?
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

TomS wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 am
yourrealdad wrote:

I put mine all around the bottom part of the seatpost few days ago, will try today whether that helps. FYI - went to Canyon CS center few weeks ago, they "fixed" it permanently they claimed.... permanent for 1200km or so yes, but it was back louder than ever on my last ride... taper worked fine for me before I went back to Canyon.
So you put tape in the thin part that gets clamped? 360 degrees of tape? Seems excessive?

Also to the previous post asking if the seatpost ever worked right, I put 4K miles on my SlX with a small piece of tape on the back. Pulled the tape off to send it in and it looked flawless. So I consider the initial version to have worked just fine. No creaks no wear.

My handlebars also didn't ever break cause I didn't crash into a car and then over tighten the clamp.

My rear triangle did happen to break along the chain stay however...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

With respect to how much crap i've read about this version of the bike, i guess they work on a complete redesign?
Even if i wanted this bike, i would steer clear due to all that i've read here.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tomtom

by tomtom

yourrealdad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:08 pm
TomS wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 am
yourrealdad wrote:

So you put tape in the thin part that gets clamped? 360 degrees of tape? Seems excessive?

Also to the previous post asking if the seatpost ever worked right, I put 4K miles on my SlX with a small piece of tape on the back. Pulled the tape off to send it in and it looked flawless. So I consider the initial version to have worked just fine. No creaks no wear.

My handlebars also didn't ever break cause I didn't crash into a car and then over tighten the clamp.

My rear triangle did happen to break along the chain stay however...
Putting some Park Tool Montagepaste ASC-1 round the post where the insert is and carbonpaste only on the clampspot did the trick for me; no noises @all from the seatpost (when it came back from Canyon it did)
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Cannoli

by Cannoli

hubevash wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:02 am
my frame broke again, exactly in the same place as the previous one, rear fork ...
can you post a picture?
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:48 pm
With respect to how much crap i've read about this version of the bike, i guess they work on a complete redesign?
Even if i wanted this bike, i would steer clear due to all that i've read here.
Didn't send either of my CFRs back (mine and my wife's) and we have zero issues with seatpost noises as long as I apply some grease around the post where it interfaces with the frame every 1000km or so. It can go longer if contamination stays down. I notice a direct correlation of seatpost noise and the amount of wet riding we do. I have a small piece of 3M vinyl tape at the back of the seatpost as well. The wet riding causes the vinyl to shift a bit, which increases the flex and then noise.

The Aeroad is the best bike I've ever thorn a leg over to date. Not discounting some real issues people have had, but I believe this is a minority and not the norm. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the bike again.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)