2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Stoney silence for the people with orders,
Not that it will make you feel any differently, but even people with the bike like myself haven't received the email yet so you're not alone. Plus my situation is out of the norm since my bike had already been sent back for warranty.

I don't think any US customers have received an email yet and I'm now betting that it will come on Friday. We don't have "getbikeservice" here in the US so I'm curious what options Canyon will give, if any, besides sending the bike back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:00 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Stoney silence for the people with orders,
Not that it will make you feel any differently, but even people with the bike like myself haven't received the email yet so you're not alone. Plus my situation is out of the norm since my bike had already been sent back for warranty.

I don't think any US customers have received an email yet and I'm now betting that it will come on Friday. We don't have "getbikeservice" here in the US so I'm curious what options Canyon will give, if any, besides sending the bike back.
Will they use VeloFix? that would be a great solution. you wouldnt even need to send the bike away.

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

Aerohead23 wrote:
Stoney silence for the people with orders, i am really starting to think theyll cancel our orders and make us re order with all the price increses across the market. I'm desperatley trying to get a SL7 now as Ive really run out of patience
Even though the lack of communication is annoying and unforgivable, I'm sure Canyon won't go as far as cancelling our orders and letting us pay more. That move would probably not be in their favor at all and I think they can't get away with it legally either since you as a customer already have an agreement with them. I just hope ill hear something soon though, I'm waiting on my SL7 too!

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I'm sure some areas will be able to utilize Velofix, but my area isn't in their territory range. So I'm assuming it's either velofix or send in the bike.

doktoroste

by doktoroste

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:30 pm
I was going to wait until I hear back from Canyon to post, but I guess it won't change what they find really.
I had to jump back a bit to find your post, but I remembered someone already posting about the same issue. I was cleaning my Aeroad SLX Di2 today and spotted a spot without paint - didn't have to look that much closer to see that this might be the same crack that you suffered.
Attachments
photo_2021-07-29 17.44.48.jpeg
photo_2021-07-29 17.44.50.jpeg

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

doktoroste wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:46 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
I was going to wait until I hear back from Canyon to post, but I guess it won't change what they find really.
I had to jump back a bit to find your post, but I remembered someone already posting about the same issue. I was cleaning my Aeroad SLX Di2 today and spotted a spot without paint - didn't have to look that much closer to see that this might be the same crack that you suffered.
Yep, looks like the same exact issue with the bonding agent failing. Take a close look at the other chainstay and see if there isn't a hairline crack staring, mine had it. I informed the tech I was in contact with about the issue and my concern about a bad batch of bonding agent being used a while back. I inquired if there was a way to track my bike down to a certain batch and warned that there would probably be others with the same issue, but he told me there wasn't a way.

My bike has been back with Canyon California for a while now just waiting to hear what they say. If I was you I would start a claim immediately, if you haven't already, and get that bike sent back ASAP. You deffinitely don't want to be waiting for a warranty return authorization in the middle of this whole "ship the bike back for repairs" ordeal. On the bright side though you and I may just get whole new bikes depending on what's easier.

doktoroste

by doktoroste

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:35 pm
Yep, looks like the same exact issue with the bonding agent failing. Take a close look at the other chainstay and see if there isn't a hairline crack staring, mine had it. I informed the tech I was in contact with about the issue and my concern about a bad batch of bonding agent being used a while back. I inquired if there was a way to track my bike down to a certain batch and warned that there would probably be others with the same issue, but he told me there wasn't a way.

My bike has been back with Canyon California for a while now just waiting to hear what they say. If I was you I would start a claim immediately, if you haven't already, and get that bike sent back ASAP. You deffinitely don't want to be waiting for a warranty return authorization in the middle of this whole "ship the bike back for repairs" ordeal. On the bright side though you and I may just get whole new bikes depending on what's easier.
So far the other side looks good (as far as I can see). I already contacted Canyon and filed a warranty claim, just as you said. Let's see how this turns out. Im sad to hear that you haven't had any success so far, hope they come back with a good solution for both uf us (and maybe others who suffered from the same production issue).

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Finally got the letter from Canyon today. Not sure why it took so long as the only difference is there is no mention of getbikeservice as it's in EU. No mention of Velofix either so it looks like US customers have no choice but to send their bike back. Unless that is you like close to the Canyon store in California.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

doktoroste wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:

Oh for F&€ksake! Don't tell me another sh1t storm is coming!

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

Aerohead23 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am
doktoroste wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:

Just because two people have this problem doesn't mean that everyone will encounter this, lets calm down and dont blow this up just because of two coincidental cases.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Aerohead23 wrote:
doktoroste wrote:
EsotericCyclist wrote:
I'm not sure on that but like I said to the tech on my case, there will be more of these chainstay cracks coming if there was a bad batch of bonding agent. He went through all of the steps that Canyon takes for QC and admittedly it does sound very hard for something like this to get by, but it's happened to me and one other person on this board. I suspect we haven't seen the last of this issue and I'm sure there will be more cases that we'll never hear about.

Anywho, I'm still hopeful that Canyon gets back to me with what's happeneing with my situation. It falls out of the standard recall and I fear that it may fall through the cracks with all of the bikes being sent back for repair.

calleking

by calleking

I had the gen 2 Aeroad CF SLX rim version. Fantastic bike. Sold it to a friend and always regretted it.

Despite being a big fan of the Aeroad, which had next to no issues, I have to say that this thread makes me hesitate to buy the latest version.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

calleking wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 pm
I had the gen 2 Aeroad CF SLX rim version. Fantastic bike. Sold it to a friend and always regretted it.

Despite being a big fan of the Aeroad, which had next to no issues, I have to say that this thread makes me hesitate to buy the latest version.
My 2019 Aeroad which I still have has been an absolutely great bike. I haven't had one single problem with it so I guess I have been on both sides of the spectrum. Even though my 2021 Aeroad has had issues, I'm hopeful that it's replacement will be A-ok. Remember, the internet will always be an exagerated picture of issues that any brand has. Customer service and seatpost issue aside, I still will be happy to get the new Aeroad back.

usr

by usr

Aerohead23 wrote:
Definitely reads like a full new generation will come faster than the usual ca 5 years, and like the new generation won't be Aeroad gen 4 but a new name.

Or perhaps they combine it with the expected end of the Ultimate (already hinted at by current Aeroad stack size), do a Venge/Tarmac and brand the would-be Aeroad gen 4 as next gen Ultimate? Personally I'd prefer that anyways, because the Aeroad name always seemed a little too clever for its own good to me. The name Ultimate on the other hand, it's glaring with delightfully silly overconfidence, just like a performance bike should be. When they still had the "Pure Cycling" line for Switzerland that put the model name on the down tube, "Ultimate" in big letters was almost on par with the Chipollini branding (which somehow manages to be ugly in a very good way), whereas "Aeroad" on the downtube... well, I ride it anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:11 pm
calleking wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:36 pm

My 2019 Aeroad which I still have has been an absolutely great bike. I haven't had one single problem with it so I guess I have been on both sides of the spectrum. Even though my 2021 Aeroad has had issues, I'm hopeful that it's replacement will be A-ok. Remember, the internet will always be an exagerated picture of issues that any brand has. Customer service and seatpost issue aside, I still will be happy to get the new Aeroad back.
This is very true, also note that people in general won't go and vent about their bike online when its performing just fine. In this thread you'll mainly find people that have something to complain about their bike or want to follow the updates on the Aeroad. I'm still confident that my Aeroad i'll be receiving later this year will be an amazing bike!