2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomS

by TomS

TomS wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:22 pm
TomS wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:48 am
tmanley wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:12 pm
Anyone here riding the XXL size? I’m curious to know what the maximum distance you can get from BB to top of saddle. I know Canyon lists this measurement on the geometry table but I’d prefer to hear from an owner. I need 91cm from BB to top of saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i have a 2XL version, I'll check tomorrow when I'm back home. But I'm 99% sure that won't work since mine is at 87cm (center BB to top saddle) and it's set at 7.1 out of a 8cm max... But this is just on top of my head, so will check tomorrow.
So here are my measurements: center BB to top of the saddle = 86.5cm, set at 7.1 cm. So you get it to about 87,5cm at max seatpost height, but no more than that I'm afraid... (btw my inseam is 97cm, with 175mm cranks this works just fine for me).
Just remebered I also asked Merida what the max saddle height was on the largest (XL) Reacto frame (that was for the 2022 model, still is the same...). They e-mailed me the max would be 93cm from BB to top of the saddle... you might want to consider that one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cearoad22

by cearoad22

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 am
Just to offer some positive feedback: I know it's early but after about 1000 Km ridden on my Aeroad CF SLX there isn't any creaking to report. It's one of the new Aeroads (in Pale Green).

Though the other day my seatpost, which was tightened to spec, slipped down during a ride (and I'm a rather lighweight rider). Unfortunately on a 2XS frame that means removing the back wheel in order to even reach the clamp screw. Let's hope it won't be a frequent occurrence.

Still, so far it's a fantastic bike.
I own the same 2022 Aeroad in M in Pale Green and after 200km or so creaking has appeared. Also had seat slipping. Probably because I had to adjust and remove the seat a couple of times to move the bike in my car, definitely not ideal to move the seatpost around a lot (my other bikes don't have this issue at all).

I also have the seat height on close to "max" and I am a rather heavy rider (85kg), so lots of stress on the frame. I can't imagine though the frame is designed for 120kg or so, it should be impossible to have no creaking at that stress level, when it already appears with 35kg less.

Fixed both issues for now with new carbon paste (Park Tool Supergrip) around the seat screw and grease around the plastic sleave.

It also helps that with proper gripper carbon paste you can apply only 3Nm-5Nm or less and the seat is fixed in place, with no carbon paste the torque had to be much bigger (more stress on the frame?).

Where exactly is the isulation tape supposed the be on the seat btw? I've read a lot of different opinions here. Also I feel like the kind of grease around the sleave does matter. I use multi purpose grease because supposedly the lubrication is better than silicone based grease and it is fine for plastic applications.

Definitely a great bike, but having to deal with these issues for such a high priced bike well, especially since the creaking sound is high pitched and annoying during rides.

If the creaking is not permanently fixed with all these measures (or maybe only after 1-2k kms) I'm contacting Canyon to see what they have to say about it.

AAD

by AAD

Hello,

Just received my new Aeroad CFR MvdP edition bike and have a problem with sizing. I have an XS size and was told that Canyon measures stems from center of steertube bolt to "trailing edge" of handlebar. Guess what? They don't, they do it tradtionally from center to center. So, while I need 520mm from saddle nose to center of handlebar, I can only get 420mm. Called Canyon. Solution: send the bike back - no optional bar-stem combos or setback seatposts available. So I'm wondering if anyone knows an aftermarket integrated bar/stem combo that will work on this new generation Aeroad and if there is same for the seatpost? I've used the FarSport F1 bar on my SL7 and its great, but don't know if it will work on the new Canyon. Canyon will not give me any advice on this. Thanks!

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

AAD wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Hello,

Just received my new Aeroad CFR MvdP edition bike and have a problem with sizing. I have an XS size and was told that Canyon measures stems from center of steertube bolt to "trailing edge" of handlebar. Guess what? They don't, they do it tradtionally from center to center. So, while I need 520mm from saddle nose to center of handlebar, I can only get 420mm. Called Canyon. Solution: send the bike back - no optional bar-stem combos or setback seatposts available. So I'm wondering if anyone knows an aftermarket integrated bar/stem combo that will work on this new generation Aeroad and if there is same for the seatpost? I've used the FarSport F1 bar on my SL7 and its great, but don't know if it will work on the new Canyon. Canyon will not give me any advice on this. Thanks!
Nope you're out of luck. Canyon CS told me multiple times I could exchange the stem and handlebar and after I've showed them pictures of the internals they've probably escalated the matter , admitted and apologized.
You can only ever use CP18 and you can't really get these units (right now) by themselves. Maybe they'll change their processes when the ultimate gets released with the very same handlebars.
But If you're so delicate about 1 cm maybe you should've looked at a bike manufacturer that allows for custom solutions, especially at that price point.

Hold up i miscalculated. How is the difference between center of handlebar to trailing edge 10 cm!?

thirdsun

by thirdsun

AAD wrote:
Hello,

This probably won't help you but Canyon provides Reach+ and Stack+ which are measured from bottom bracket to the center of the handle bar (the cross bar). Really useful to compare actual reach because it takes the cockpit into account, not just the frame.

And no, sorry, if the bike doesn't fit you Canyon doesn't offer any component exchanges or customizations for the Aeroad. To be fair they offer a wide range of sizes, more than most manufacturers, but if none works for you I guess you're simply out of luck.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Vuong05

by Vuong05

AAD wrote:
Hello,

How is the quality of the paint on the MVDP edition? Do you have any pictures you can share?

Thanks.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Jeffouille

by Jeffouille

Vuong05 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:43 am
AAD wrote:
Hello,

How is the quality of the paint on the MVDP edition? Do you have any pictures you can share?

Thanks.
I was actualy starting to wonder if they did ever sold it; never saw it avalaible on their Website. Probably sold too fast

SeanD380

by SeanD380

So received me Aeroad CFR, what a great looking bike.

Just a query though around the seat post. There was a lot of white grease around the rubber seal that sits between the post and the frame. There also was a tag saying do not use carbon paste.

But on reading some comments above it appears people have left the grease as is, but used carbon paste on the cut out section where the clapping area will be, is this correct? Also my understanding is a piece of electrical tape where the clamp pushes against the seat post will help reduce creaking?

One last question, seatpost clamp needs to be 5NM???

Thanks

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Grease on the post where it tells you.
Carbon paste only where it clamps.
3m clear tape on the back of the top full portion of the post where inserted.

Can't remember clamp nm

Cannoli

by Cannoli

For seatpost slipping issues, don't forget to apply a little grease to the threads of the seatpost clamp from time to time. The clamp threads are exposed to contaminate from water and other road debris getting into the seat tube over time, and the threads can get really dirty. This will lead to functional under torque when tightening the seatpost clamp screw, despite hitting the torque value on the torque wrench.

As a side, my wife and I had major saddle slipping issues when we first got our CFR's. The 9nm for the seatpost clamp wasn't enough to keep the saddle in place, even with greased threads and carbon paste. I have to go to 12nm every time to be sure it doesn't fall back (or forward) when going over road bumps at speed. At 12nm, no issues whatsoever.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

yourrealdad

by yourrealdad

Speaking of slipping, has anyone has their "headset" come loose? Mine has come loose twice now. Not to the point where I have play, but it will creak for the rest of the ride.

I have to insert the tool and then retighten everything. Torquing to 9nm as specified on the clamp.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

yourrealdad wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Speaking of slipping, has anyone has their "headset" come loose? Mine has come loose twice now. Not to the point where I have play, but it will creak for the rest of the ride.

I have to insert the tool and then retighten everything. Torquing to 9nm as specified on the clamp.
I haven't had it come loose, but I put a small drop of blue loctite on the locking fastener to be sure it wouldn't. I can't say if that's why I haven't seen any issues in that area or not, however.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Well, speaking of slipping: While my seat post was slipping in the beginning I have the opposite problem with the saddle: I'd like to adjust the tilt but that thing sits so tight that I can't it loose. I understand that it apparently needs a good smacking but I feel as if I already hit it as hard as I feel comfortable with. I don't want to damage anything.

Great bike still, but the whole seatpost and saddle attachment design feels completely over-engineered.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

cearoad22

by cearoad22

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:50 am
Well, speaking of slipping: While my seat post was slipping in the beginning I have the opposite problem with the saddle: I'd like to adjust the tilt but that thing sits so tight that I can't it loose. I understand that it apparently needs a good smacking but I feel as if I already hit it as hard as I feel comfortable with. I don't want to damage anything.

Great bike still, but the whole seatpost and saddle attachment design feels completely over-engineered.
I had the same issues with adjusting the tilt. They probably used carbon gripper to further strengthen the clamp. You need to hold the saddle with two hands and slowly but firmly try to tilt it in either direction. Screw needs to be loose. You need quite a bit of force then it suddenly becomse loose. Giving it a smack could work aswell, but you might apply too much force. It's definitely not as easy as they make it out to be in the manual.

Also you need to apply atleast 15Nm or the tilt will unloosen itself when driving over bumps. I had this happen, now using a bit more than 15Nm.

I love this bike, but the seatpost adjustments are a mess.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

cearoad22 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:15 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:50 am

I had the same issues with adjusting the tilt. They probably used carbon gripper to further strengthen the clamp. You need to hold the saddle with two hands and slowly but firmly try to tilt it in either direction. Screw needs to be loose. You need quite a bit of force then it suddenly becomse loose. Giving it a smack could work aswell, but you might apply too much force. It's definitely not as easy as they make it out to be in the manual.

Also you need to apply atleast 15Nm or the tilt will unloosen itself when driving over bumps. I had this happen, now using a bit more than 15Nm.

I love this bike, but the seatpost adjustments are a mess.
Thanks, will try again. As far as I remember though the required force almost has to feel as if I'm going to break my saddle. I'll try not to :)
  • Vitus Venon Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com