2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

AAD wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:57 pm
I think the new mount is very nice looking and I like how they ressessed the light mount to reduce stress on the mount end.
Recessed as in moved back, closer to the steerer? Yes, I never understood why most insist on placing the gopro out front. Some "that's how we've always done it" left over from round bar mounts that could in theory also be put on an MTB with negligible stem length?

(and an unrelated question: are the dots on that bar tape reflective? I absolutely love bar tape that has reflective surface in those classic two layer dots on my otherwise all-black bike and I haven't found many, would love to know of some alternatives to the Cinelli 3D Super Reflective)

cberg

by cberg

tomtom wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:13 am
cberg wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:28 am
Has anyone replaced headset bearings on their SLX/CFR yet? Mine are a bit tired after a year of use and a race with cobbles last weekend. It seems like a somewhat big job to remove the top bearing while the bottom one is "only" limited by the front brake hose. Should I just send it off to Canyon to have it serviced?
Yeah I figured it would be an annoying job to do do Ill just hand it in to a bikeshop nearby that has some partnership with Canyon

I have installed Shimano instead of the delivered Sram. Unless you are an experienced (and even then) AND you have special tools/wireset like Park Tool IR-1.2 it's a hell of a job.... I know now why Canyon for the first time (!) delivers framesets with parts installed :mrgreen: .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

Update: Had the bearings replaced, which ended up costing just over €400, with just over half of it being labor cost and including new handlebar tape and L05A brake pads. I knew was what I signed up for when I bought the bike, but still hurts a bit considering I could easily buy the bearings and do it myself on the last gen Aeroad

RDY

by RDY

Wonder if they have a live webcam feed for Canyon's new owners to beat off to whilst people pay more than 300 euros for headset bearing replacement.

spartacus

by spartacus

The bearings only lasted a year? Is that normal?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

cberg wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:52 pm
Update: Had the bearings replaced, which ended up costing just over €400, with just over half of it being labor cost and including new handlebar tape and L05A brake pads. I knew was what I signed up for when I bought the bike, but still hurts a bit considering I could easily buy the bearings and do it myself on the last gen Aeroad
I'm in the middle of this myself. I started a thread here:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171011

It's actually pretty straight forward once you know what the heck is going on. Definitely a pain in the butt, but completely doable if you have a little know how and a few specialized tools. I don't look forward to having to do it again any time soon, but the upper headset bearing completely failed in less than 18-months on one of my CFRs, and it's only been ridden in the rain a few times and always dried and climate controlled garage kept. I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the bearings for a $9k+ bike.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

cberg

by cberg

Cannoli wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:09 am
cberg wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:52 pm
I'm in the middle of this myself. I started a thread here:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171011

It's actually pretty straight forward once you know what the heck is going on. Definitely a pain in the butt, but completely doable if you have a little know how and a few specialized tools. I don't look forward to having to do it again any time soon, but the upper headset bearing completely failed in less than 18-months on one of my CFRs, and it's only been ridden in the rain a few times and always dried and climate controlled garage kept. I'm very disappointed at the poor quality of the bearings for a $9k+ bike.
Maybe I'll look into that the next time then. I think an explaination (not excuse!) for short bearing life is that the Aeroad is actually pretty narrow and has pretty thin bearings to allow that. Also mine was at least partly due to the headset coming lose in a race that had about 4 kilometers of cobbles and me not realising before we finished :oops:

romanmoser

by romanmoser

The cfr are supposedly equiped with ceramicsh**t Solid Lubricant Technology headset bearings non ?

Anyway even these aren't that great according to a serious mechanic on insta
That serviced a lot of ostro factor with these.

And even if the bearings were nearly immortal as promised ( but sounds not true )
you still have to clean, and regrease, the frame and outer bearings cage from time to time
A mess
My 2011 frame with a no thread chris king headset external cups, still like new
Only serviced once ahah :mrgreen:

romanmoser

by romanmoser

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:21 pm
That’s insane
Yes
But most customers should have known what they were getting into ... :mrgreen:
400e lol, it's the price of a nice motorcycle or car small checkup no ?

Previous generation ( non 100% integrated ) canyon already had bearings with poor size and quality ( accros )
Big inner diameter and big outer diameter, they didn't last more than one season in Belgium if racing and training hard...
But hey at least you could service them easily and cheap

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah I got a bike with integrated cables, but I also got a winter bike for those wet and muddy Belgian winters haha

Cannoli

by Cannoli

romanmoser wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:23 pm
The cfr are supposedly equiped with ceramicsh**t Solid Lubricant Technology headset bearings non ?
The CFR comes with cheap steel bearings that rust and fall apart after a season.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Is this normal with most of these "integrated bikes"?
Not bearings that die in less than 2 seasons, but this time consuming labour?
400 Euro just changing bearings, that's so crazy it's even hard to believe.
I have used ceramic bearings a few times, but they always fail very quick.
Often they start to sound like a coffee grinder. I have a set here, think it's Kogel. I wish i got the cross seals instead of road.
The bearings i currently use is same as the bike was delivered with and they run superbly smooth.
First season i rode it was 2019, so it's been used 3 seasons now.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

cberg

by cberg

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:47 pm
Is this normal with most of these "integrated bikes"?
Not bearings that die in less than 2 seasons, but this time consuming labour?
400 Euro just changing bearings, that's so crazy it's even hard to believe.
I have used ceramic bearings a few times, but they always fail very quick.
Often they start to sound like a coffee grinder. I have a set here, think it's Kogel. I wish i got the cross seals instead of road.
The bearings i currently use is same as the bike was delivered with and they run superbly smooth.
First season i rode it was 2019, so it's been used 3 seasons now.
To be fair the cost included new L05A pads since the brakes were being bord anyway and the old pads were worn. It also included new handlebar tape because the old was removed during the repair. So about 25% of the cost was in parts you change somewhat often anyway

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Cannoli wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:38 pm
romanmoser wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:23 pm
The CFR comes with cheap steel bearings that rust and fall apart after a season.
Yeah i saw your response, and others who said it used the same shitty as the previous version
Crazy that they don't even spec stainless steel bearings ...

Maybe check if chris king or someone else does it in their probably non standard size

I swear I read somewhere they were using ceramicspeed slt headset on the cfr ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com