2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:05 am
Aeroads no longer say Available Autumn, just says coming soon now.
At this point I'm guessing there won't be any 11 speed Aeroads. Someone mentioned a planned shadow site for the updated 12 speed Aeroads and I could imagine Canyon offering priority access to that site for anyone with an active preorder, probably even selling the bikes for the original preorder price (it would be the right thing to do after all that waiting time). Once those preorder customers are served, they'll release whatever stock is left on the public site.

Of course that's just my speculation but it's the reasonable thing to do in my opinion.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

bratz

by bratz

Aerohead23 wrote:Aeroads no longer say Available Autumn, just says coming soon now.
Hopefully this meant it really is coming soonImage

Damn...I get better updates here than from CanyonImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

bratz wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:40 am
Aerohead23 wrote:Aeroads no longer say Available Autumn, just says coming soon now.
Hopefully this meant it really is coming soonImage

Damn...I get better updates here than from CanyonImage
I think the opposite, they changed it because its no longer Autumn in some regions and they still cant give a date so changed it to a catch all statemnt of "Soon".
As we know from their mail about we are about to get started, soon to them could be 12 months.

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

thirdsun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am
Aerohead23 wrote:
At this point I'm guessing there won't be any 11 speed Aeroads. Someone mentioned a planned shadow site for the updated 12 speed Aeroads and I could imagine Canyon offering priority access to that site for anyone with an active preorder, probably even selling the bikes for the original preorder price (it would be the right thing to do after all that waiting time). Once those preorder customers are served, they'll release whatever stock is left on the public site.

Of course that's just my speculation but it's the reasonable thing to do in my opinion.
I'm thinking this could be a reality - and I actually hope it is. It would be a great outcome after the journey we have been on to honour the orders making the 12sp available.
I am disheartened by the change from Autumn to soon though. This certainly means it will be months rather than weeks.

baldav74

by baldav74

Info this morning by E-mail (Canyon France)
Nothing crisp but good ...

Dear David,
Thank you for your email.
We are sincerely sorry for this delay and the lack of information.
Frankly, we don't have much more information than you do on your Aeroad.
Indeed, the repairs started a little less than 2 months ago now, and according to the latest information received by our factory, all models will go to quality control in the next 15 days, to then be able to ship them as soon as possible. .
We sincerely hope that this deadline will be respected, and that you can get your bike as soon as possible.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

Dieselbike wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:32 am
Aerohead23 wrote:

I'm thinking this could be a reality - and I actually hope it is. It would be a great outcome after the journey we have been on to honour the orders making the 12sp available.
I am disheartened by the change from Autumn to soon though. This certainly means it will be months rather than weeks.
This wont happen, some bikes have gone out with the 11 speed so what do you say to those people?

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:10 pm
This wont happen, some bikes have gone out with the 11 speed so what do you say to those people?
I was wondering this because the bikes would/should have been build months ago with the 11sp groupsets before/at the time of recall. If they only needed to rework seatpost and replace handlebars there would be no reason to remove an entire groupset from the original build.
But if the bikes haven't been built at the time of recall and there is a shortage of 11sp groupsets, there may no no other option than offering another groupset. If bikes have already been delivered - that's fine - the customer got their bike.
Us on the other hand have not received any bike and are still waiting. I certainly think this could be the solution in small numbers.

baldav74

by baldav74

Dear David,
Indeed, the repairs started a little less than 2 months ago now, and according to the latest information received by our factory, all models will go to quality control in the next 15 days, to then be able to ship them as soon as possible. .
We sincerely hope that this deadline will be respected, and that you can get your bike as soon as possible.

baldav74

by baldav74

Dear David,

usr

by usr

Dieselbike wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 pm
But if the bikes haven't been built at the time of recall and there is a shortage of 11sp groupsets, there may no no other option than offering another groupset.
I think this is the core truth: it all depends on the facts in their inventory shelves (or in some shipping containers in transit, or maybe even in order books that cannot be revised). What they'd want to do to please customers (or to screw them) is not much of a factor. They certainly won't switch to 12s Shimano if it would require dumping 11s stocks on eBay, they certainly won't bend over to fulfill orders from 11s days with 11s if it would require participating in a bidding war for the last leftover NOS like in a stock market short squeeze.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Dieselbike wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:17 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:10 pm
I was wondering this because the bikes would/should have been build months ago with the 11sp groupsets before/at the time of recall. If they only needed to rework seatpost and replace handlebars there would be no reason to remove an entire groupset from the original build.
But if the bikes haven't been built at the time of recall and there is a shortage of 11sp groupsets, there may no no other option than offering another groupset. If bikes have already been delivered - that's fine - the customer got their bike.
Us on the other hand have not received any bike and are still waiting. I certainly think this could be the solution in small numbers.
I don't think this will happen either. You had people asking very early on if they could change their orders to 12spd and the answer was a firm no. If those people canceled or had paid but not yet received their bikes, then canceled, it would make quite a lot of people mad to hear Canyon was giving out priority access. That would be very unfair too.

I do agree though Canyon should have given people who put money down on bikes first dibs on the new stuff, but for them to say one thing then totally change directions wouldn't look good either. Hell, Canyon had my money for a year while I had a bike that only was able to be ridden 60 miles before it broke and then the recall. You think for sure I would have gotten prority access to the new bikes, and I asked, the answer was no.

BUT, who knows what happens if they can't get 11spd Di2 anymore though. If that's the case I still think that Canyon will make people cancel and reorder with 12 spd.

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

I'm certain we will be told re order our orders can't be fulfilled . I'm just waiting to see how long it takes them to do it .

Dieselbike

by Dieselbike

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm
I'm certain we will be told re order our orders can't be fulfilled . I'm just waiting to see how long it takes them to do it .
The more I think about it, the more I think this will happen.
My original delivery date was May. So by that date the recall was already underway. So they probably never built those bikes. You cannot find full 11sp Ultegra groupsets anywhere and Canyon don't have any bikes with that spec for sale (even on the Ultimate release yesterday).
So, I think we will be either waiting for months for the 11sp, or reordering the 12sp option. It would be a real kick in the teeth if they say they cannot honour the order after waiting 11 months. I only hope that there is some level of understanding and the 12sp option (if that's the way forward) is made available to the original customers. People waiting should 100% be given priority to order a new bike, and they shouldn't be penalised financially.

The other question is, when will the 12sp Ultegra be available for delivery? :|

TomS

by TomS

Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm
soon.............

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com