2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skidz

by skidz

Apologies in advance for the boring sizing q.

About to take the plunge on the cf sl 8 aeroad and im bang between both sizes. Weirdly the calculator accurately confirms my saddle height at around 71cm, and will recommend an M, even though that doesn't seem to quite fall within the stated seat height range. Hence I should probably go small (which it also recommends).

The cockpit on neither are ideal - either too wide or too short (which almost tempts me to give up on this). Current bars are 38 wide and I'd like to go narrower.

My thoughts:

SMALL pros:
+ better stack range if I really wanted to go lower
+ 39cm handlebars way better than 41cm

Cons:
- will need at least one spacer
- cockpit still potentially too short
- comes with 50mm front wheel and I'd prefer 62.

MEDIUM pros:
+ can slam stem
+ I could prob actually do with coming in and up on current bike too
+ get 62mm front wheel instead of 50mm
+ May be a more stabile ride??

Cons:
- handlebars will definitely be too wide so I think id definitely need to get some other handlebars.
- no room to lower stack, but I'm not mega flexible.

On paper M prob looks better but weirdly im still tempted to go for the small, mainly based on the suggested seatpost height range...

Any wise words?? I'd go and get a proper bike fit done but they've not been in stock all year and for certain reasons I sort of need to pull the trigger right now.
Attachments
6A780FB6-A95B-4ACD-8DB6-E91A4CEE634A.jpeg

MattVega

by MattVega

I was in the same situation , but right between M and L.

firstly: the aero "gain" between the 50mm and 60mm front wheel is mininal to non-existant. I would not make that an issue or take that into consideration.

2nd: if you are between the 2 sizes, the smaller one will give you a more aggressive ride, while the bigger one will give you a more comfortable ride. (but the bigger one a little bit less stable in corners)

I took the bigger one; since I am not super flexible and I prioritise that little bit of comfort over the aggressiveness (also, I am 32y old, my back is basicly busted)
That and I am not going to win any races anymore. that ship has sailed :lol:

The 41mm vs the 39mm: depends as well. the 41mm will improve handling, while the 39mm is more aero. For me, 41mm is actually the sweet spot between 39mm and 43mm. (my old bike had 43mm) lastly it depends on how big/wide your shoulders are as well.

Off course, if you are going to do some competition with it, you should take the S.
It all depends on your needs and expectations.

If you are searching for a more aggressive ride with a more aerodynamic riding position : take the small

If you want a more comfortable (and less aggressive in corners) ride: take the M

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skidz

by skidz

Yeah cheers - all those thoughts gone through my head. I'm just procrastinating.. pain tho that they don't let you choose your bars. Seems mad to spend this much on a bike for you to have to retrofit.

38 width seems wide to me these days, especially for racing, and it's so hard finding what you want in anything less. My upper body is prob smaller than average but I don't know how proper small people ride 40cm plus stock bars.

Thanks for response anyway.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Do we have any confirmed info about what canyon will be doing with the aeroad in 2023?

wozzo

by wozzo

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:45 am
Do we have any confirmed info about what canyon will be doing with the aeroad in 2023?
Not sure, but Looks like they are up to sth. The pro white in XL is stated as a sold out, so i reached with customer service and she told me that the production of it is stopped now, and suggested to buy different option/color if I need XL. It's kind of weird since all the other sizes are marked with a dates (like Feb or march ). Was thinking to buy stealth instead, but after that what she said maybe it is better to wait now.

MattVega

by MattVega

probably rerelease with different colors, maybe slightly updated tech/different wheels.

probably a release of the SLX with 105di2 (or/and SL with 105di2)

raise prises again probably. Don't think there will be huge changes to the Aeroad. The Grand Canyon (MTB) line up is due for a bigger refresh IMO.

Maddie

by Maddie

And I wouldn't expect any changes to the seatpost area.

wozzo

by wozzo

MattVega wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:32 am
probably rerelease with different colors, maybe slightly updated tech/different wheels.

raise prises again probably. Don't think there will be huge changes to the Aeroad. The Grand Canyon (MTB) line up is due for a bigger refresh IMO.
Yeah, but the pro white and stealth was always there since release, so that's odd. I was trying to get any more info from the support, but no luck. I asked so it's only the XL that's not coming back in this color and she says "as of today,yes". Checked another configs and there are random sized sold out as well (stealth small eg.).

I will dig deeper, trying to connect to other consultants on the chat :wink:

rideitstereo

by rideitstereo

wozzo wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:23 pm
MattVega wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:32 am

Yeah, but the pro white and stealth was always there since release, so that's odd. I was trying to get any more info from the support, but no luck. I asked so it's only the XL that's not coming back in this color and she says "as of today,yes". Checked another configs and there are random sized sold out as well (stealth small eg.).

I will dig deeper, trying to connect to other consultants on the chat :wink:
Pro White in XL is available again - hurry up if you still looking for one ;)

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Just had a chat with Canyon:
- asked what is the difference between CLX and CFR frames. Was told that CLX is 970g and CFR is 915 g
- asked if the frame/brake kit will be availbale in any colour other than stealth black. Was told that this is pretty unlikely
- Complained about lack of ability to customize cockpit length and that 390mm minimum width is too wide. Asked if you can buy different dimensions separately, and was told that while nothing is in stock now, they should have 110 and 120 mm stems next year.

No idea what's up with updates to frames generally, but there are some splashy colours on the CLX framesets now. I think there isn't much else to be waiting for.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:51 pm
Just had a chat with Canyon:
- asked what is the difference between CLX and CFR frames. Was told that CLX is 970g and CFR is 915 g
- asked if the frame/brake kit will be availbale in any colour other than stealth black. Was told that this is pretty unlikely
- Complained about lack of ability to customize cockpit length and that 390mm minimum width is too wide. Asked if you can buy different dimensions separately, and was told that while nothing is in stock now, they should have 110 and 120 mm stems next year.

No idea what's up with updates to frames generally, but there are some splashy colours on the CLX framesets now. I think there isn't much else to be waiting for.
take everything they tell you with a grain of salt. I was told multiple times that I can easily exchange cockpits on my slx.
So if they tell you different stem lengths they re probably referring to the sl variant.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

This Aeroad would be such a great bike if it wasn’t for this terrible cockpit. The fact that canyon won’t do ANYTHING to work with customer and get the dimensions they need just adds insult to injury. Then to throw acid on the burn they clearly make a bunch of other cockpit dimensions for pros that they just don’t sell. I’m pretty sure even the men’s zwift academy finalists got custom sized cockpits on their bikes. It’s seems like it would be so easy for them to make a few changes with the cockpit and this bike would be perfect.

Just to be clear, I think the following things need to change:

- they need to have options for the bar to be at a steeper stem angle

- they need longer stems that also go to at least 36cm at the hoods. Ideally even more narrow with a flare at the drops

- they need to allow customer buying brand new bikes to swap cockpits and the point of purchase and make give more choice to the customer in terms of cockpit dimensions, much more choice.

Sorry for the rant, I would really like this bike if it wasn’t for that darn cockpit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidz

by skidz

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm
This Aeroad would be such a great bike if it wasn’t for this terrible cockpit. The fact that canyon won’t do ANYTHING to work with customer and get the dimensions they need just adds insult to injury. Then to throw acid on the burn they clearly make a bunch of other cockpit dimensions for pros that they just don’t sell. I’m pretty sure even the men’s zwift academy finalists got custom sized cockpits on their bikes. It’s seems like it would be so easy for them to make a few changes with the cockpit and this bike would be perfect.

- they need longer stems that also go to at least 36cm at the hoods. Ideally even more narrow with a flare at the drops

- they need to allow customer buying brand new bikes to swap cockpits and the point of purchase and make give more choice to the customer in terms of cockpit dimensions, much more choice.

Sorry for the rant, I would really like this bike if it wasn’t for that darn cockpit

They also force you take a shallower wheel in size S. I'd prefer the choice. Totally agree on bar width. Would also want 36 at hoods.

Best I can get on cf sl is 39, but stuck with a 90mm stem.

Lina

by Lina

skidz wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:54 pm
mrbrown4001 wrote:

They also force you take a shallower wheel in size S. I'd prefer the choice. Totally agree on bar width. Would also want 36 at hoods.

On the SL you can change the cockpit to whatever you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Lina wrote:
skidz wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:54 pm
mrbrown4001 wrote:

On the SL you can change the cockpit to whatever you want.
Of course, but then I have to be okay with mechanical shifting, a heavier frame, and heavier wheels. The SL model would be great sold as a frame but nope, canyon wouldn’t do that either.