2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This is going to be one of those bikes i would never buy second hand...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

LancashireDry

by LancashireDry

Anyone else notice that MVDP wasn't using the new seatpost sleeve today?

Does this mean the sleeve and rubber gasket is a modification to cover existing frames and there will be a new frame to achieve the original 'visual' design intent?
Attachments
9496FE56-0E46-48A2-B95C-DEB6BBB30660.jpeg
3B2431EC-D030-412F-98F4-A32FC59A9669.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

LancashireDry wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pm

Does this mean the sleeve and rubber gasket is a modification to cover existing frames and there will be a new frame to achieve the original 'visual' design intent?
No I think the seat post issue doesn't effect all bikes and the pro bikes especially because they're serviced everyday. If a seat post wears they replace it and move on so the issue doesn't concern them.

willvousden

by willvousden

LancashireDry wrote:

Ironically the MvdP version is the only Aeroad model on the Canyon website that is shown with a gasket:

https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=WH%2FMC

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

willvousden wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:45 pm
LancashireDry wrote:

Ironically the MvdP version is the only Aeroad model on the Canyon website that is shown with a gasket:

https://www.canyon.com/en-de/road-bikes ... be=WH%2FMC
But again thats a consumer bike. so the seat post isnt being cleaned and greased every day, hence it has the gasket.

LancashireDry

by LancashireDry

Also interesting that the MVDP bike in the video shows the 'sleeve' protruding above the top tube. I guess the rubber gasket is to hide it, as to me it looks like a poor fit/unfinished.
Attachments
A398BC5C-FECB-4790-90F6-742E067433C7.jpeg
37819FDD-FFF1-4AA8-90F5-902A1281147B.jpeg

Mick1508

by Mick1508

LancashireDry wrote:

I certainly hope that the new frames that are (supposedly!) about to become available don't use the sleeve. Does anyone know? If they do need the sleeve, you would expect they would update the photos on the website to show customers what they are actually going to deliver.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

akb wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm
I picked up my CFR yesteday from the Service Center (Eindhoven NL). Although there was only minor wear to the seatpost they replaced it with a new one. The sleeve looks ok-ish. Don't want to disassemble it yet to inspect the internals. There are new instructions on how to place the seatpost back into the frame: clean the seatpost and don't apply any assembly paste.

The new handlebars feels a bit thin compared to the old one. I preferred the "squared rouding" of the original one. Hopefully I will get used to it.
Is the seat post replaced due to slight wear or because it has different size on the top insertion portion? If it's the same size does it mean that the solution for this is to simply glue plastic collar on top of the existing frame to get some realstate for a rubber seal?
Last edited by IvanZg on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

please delete

cberg

by cberg

IvanZg wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm
akb wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm
I picked up my CFR yesteday from the Service Center (Eindhoven NL). Although there was only minor wear to the seatpost they replaced it with a new one. The sleeve looks ok-ish. Don't want to disassemble it yet to inspect the internals. There are new instructions on how to place the seatpost back into the frame: clean the seatpost and don't apply any assembly paste.

The new handlebars feels a bit thin compared to the old one. I preferred the "squared rouding" of the original one. Hopefully I will get used to it.
Is the seat post replaced due to slight wear or because it has different size on the top insertion portion? If it's the same size does it mean that the solution for this is to simply glue plastic collar on top of the existing frame to get some realstate for a rubber seal?
From the wording of the last email I got from Canyon and what other users have posted, it seems like they are removing the existing "sleeve" that sits between frame and seatpost to replace it with the new one that goes further up. Looks wise for me, it's no different than the seatpost collar on the current gen Scott Addict

willvousden

by willvousden

Mick1508 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:55 pm
LancashireDry wrote:

I certainly hope that the new frames that are (supposedly!) about to become available don't use the sleeve. Does anyone know? If they do need the sleeve, you would expect they would update the photos on the website to show customers what they are actually going to deliver.
If new frames are going to be available soon, what are they going to do with the 2021 models that are still shown as "Coming Soon" on their website? It doesn't seem to make much sense to buy one of those right now.

BertD

by BertD

I wouldn't know why there would be a new frame; they just spent half a year working on the existing frame! It seems strange to me to expect that there would suddenly be a new frame, that is not realistic I think.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

There won’t be a “new” frame just update with the rubber sleeve.

koene

by koene

hi all, I have a question regarding the cp10 cockpit which is on the aeroad cf sl 2021. I'm looking to replace it but before I do, I would like to know if anyone could tell me whether the cables pass through the bar or not. If they don't pass through, it would make replacing it with a different cockpit a lot more eaesy (just loosen the shifters and reattach). From the bottom of the bar it looks like they go in the bar but I can't tell for sure because off the bar tape..
I have a similar setup which is shown here:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

koene wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:18 pm
hi all, I have a question regarding the cp10 cockpit which is on the aeroad cf sl 2021. I'm looking to replace it but before I do, I would like to know if anyone could tell me whether the cables pass through the bar or not. If they don't pass through, it would make replacing it with a different cockpit a lot more eaesy (just loosen the shifters and reattach). From the bottom of the bar it looks like they go in the bar but I can't tell for sure because off the bar tape..
After some Googling I found a picture from the bottom side of the cockpit without bar tape. It looks like the cables are only running through the compartment on the bottom and aren't integrated in the cockpit itself.