2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Brendan

by Brendan

thirdsun wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:04 pm
Brendan wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Only review I saw of the 9200 PM wasn't good. Better off with something other than Shimano anyways when it comes to accuracy.
As far as I can tell no Shimano power meters are used. Canyon uses 4iiii, SRAM or Rotor power meters depending on which Aeroad you buy.
That's probably an availability thing more than anything, which in this case would be good. (There was a post above referencing Shimano being unable to deliver the 12sp PM and a couple others who've referenced "wanting" it). But regardless, still nothing for 12spd Shimano even available in the US for Canyon yet. I'd take what I could get for PM, and sell the parts I don't want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

MattVega wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:19 pm
MattVega wrote:the new Canyon Aeroad CF SL seems nice tough. Also nice colors.
Altough I am not sure if the ARC1600 is worth the 200 euros extra over the Reynolds AR58/62 wheelset (which I have and adore)

What do you guys think? are the ARC1600 worth the 200 euros extra?

Edit: there is a power meter included. I stand corrected. It is worth the 200 euros extra. absolute steal

Double edit: is there a power meter included? I don't see it in the component list of the Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8
What country site are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The belgian one. Cant figure out if the power meter is included or not.

Kinda moot for me tough, I have an Aeroad CF SL7 with a stages PM. Just curious
Hopefully that configuration of the SL model is sold in the US. I’d be very interested. I’d also be interested in a 105 di2 build. Other threads on this forum have mentioned it will come out the end of June. Does anyone have any word on a 105 di2 build in the aeroad?

Unpopular opinion here: the hot salsa color way actually looks really good to me. Gives me a real Miami in the 80’s vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdsun

by thirdsun

To be fair it seems to look better in real life: https://www.rennrad-news.de/news/canyon ... os-preise/

The pictures on Canyon's product pages don't do those colors any favors.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

sib

by sib

Does anyone have a picture of the latest Aeroad with 30mm or 40mm deep wheels? Size S if possible!
I'm hoping to see how it looks with wheels shallower than those provided.

willvousden

by willvousden

Something strange happened today. The rear wheel (DT Swiss ARC 1400) on my Aeroad went bang, thankfully not while I was riding it. After taking a look, the rim tape had blown through one of the spoke holes. It looks like there's only one layer of tape on the rim, even though the tyres are rated to over 100 psi. I had them inflated to around 90.

Canyon were good about it and reimbursed me for the cost of the replacement rim tape and inner tube, but it's weird that the wheels would come out of the factory with too little tape on them. Anyone else had a similar experience?
PXL_20220520_081832607.jpg

thirdsun

by thirdsun

willvousden wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 am
Something strange happened today. The rear wheel (DT Swiss ARC 1400) on my Aeroad went bang, thankfully not while I was riding it. After taking a look, the rim tape had blown through one of the spoke holes. It looks like there's only one layer of tape on the rim, even though the tyres are rated to over 100 psi. I had them inflated to around 90.

Canyon were good about it and reimbursed me for the cost of the replacement rim tape and inner tube, but it's weird that the wheels would come out of the factory with too little tape on them. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Happened to me on my Endurace with old DT Swiss R24 Spline wheels too. Also while the bike was standing.

I think it's a combination of high pressure and sharp edges around the spoke holes that's to blame here. I just put Continental Easy Tape on top of the thin DT Swiss rim tape layer. That Easy Tape is much more solid and fabric-like. There's no way it will be cut by spoke holes.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

madden2010

by madden2010

I might have pulled a trigger on a Pale Green SLX but got all the way to shipping address to find Canyon still won’t ship to Northern Ireland and don’t look like doing so anytime soon. Brexit started 18 months ago they still haven’t got something sorted like many other companies have.

willvousden

by willvousden

thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am
willvousden wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 am

Happened to me on my Endurace with old DT Swiss R24 Spline wheels too. Also while the bike was standing.

I think it's a combination of high pressure and sharp edges around the spoke holes that's to blame here. I just put Continental Easy Tape on top of the thin DT Swiss rim tape layer. That Easy Tape is much more solid and fabric-like. There's no way it will be cut by spoke holes.
I thought it was standard practice to wrap two layers of tape onto road tubeless rims? Why would DT Swiss not do this with their own wheels and rim tape?

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

Anyone know when/if Canyon plans to offer the new color ways and options in the USA?

:)
:beerchug:

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

FLtrooper wrote:Anyone know when/if Canyon plans to offer the new color ways and options in the USA?

:)
I’d ask questions like this on their instagram. They seem quite responsive.

I wonder how well the cockpit really suits me. Are there any alternatives if I were to need a longer stem? Canyon support told me I had to resort to an stem handlebar combo but didn’t mention specifics.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Just to see if the heavier SRAM models of the CF SLX might be an option for me as well I was reading up on the effects of bike weight on mostly flat roads and was quite surprised to learn that according to this handy calculator it's completely meaningless even on climbs: https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

Of course I'd expect there to be a noticeable difference in acceleration but even in this extreme example (8 vs 11 kg) it's not an outrageous difference. I'm kind of surprised. Have I been giving too much weight to...weight?
  • Vitus Venon Evo

willvousden

by willvousden

thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:00 pm
Just to see if the heavier SRAM models of the CF SLX might be an option for me as well I was reading up on the effects of bike weight on mostly flat roads and was quite surprised to learn that according to this handy calculator it's completely meaningless even on climbs: https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

Of course I'd expect there to be a noticeable difference in acceleration but even in this extreme example (8 vs 11 kg) it's not an outrageous difference. I'm kind of surprised. Have I been giving too much weight to...weight?
Of course, but then you knew that, didn't you? That's why you're buying an Aeroad and not an Ultimate :wink:

Aerodynamics is far and away the most important determinant of speed on all but the most mountainous routes.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Of course I knew that aero trumps lightweight. However I'm surprised how meaningless weight seems to be. Even when using steep double digit climbs (which are very, very rare around here) on the linked calculator the difference is barely a handful of watts.

On a sidenote: My size is now available as Aeroad CF SLX 8 eTap in Hot Salsa but I'm not desperate. Yet.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Took the Aeroad out for a brief ride today and did a couple of sprints. The bar felt like a wet noodle. Anyone else having this issue?

In other news, I set me all time best 1 minute power and took my first “real” KOM. It’s a very fast bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

willvousden

by willvousden

thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:30 pm
Of course I knew that aero trumps lightweight. However I'm surprised how meaningless weight seems to be. Even when using steep double digit climbs (which are very, very rare around here) on the linked calculator the difference is barely a handful of watts.
It's more the feel of the bike than the speed itself that you're paying for. And a light bike really does feel different. That could be as important as speed.
thirdsun wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:30 pm
On a sidenote: My size is now available as Aeroad CF SLX 8 eTap in Hot Salsa but I'm not desperate. Yet.
You have the patience of a saint!