2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

Aerohead23 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:12 pm
Anyone waiting on a bike get an update today?

I heard on another page no bikes will now ship before 2022? is this true?
I would wager this to be true. The US site has said Feb 2022 for a couple of days now so I don't think any bikes are going anywhere until after the new year. I would bet that no new bikes will be on the site until early Spring. Depends on how quickly the fixes can be applied to current bikes.
Last edited by EsotericCyclist on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

BertD wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:49 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:

Is there any other website where future Aeroad owners update each other about their orders, other than that Facebook page?

A few weeks ago I heard on the chat on the website that I would be notified shortly.
As expected total silence since then
Not really. There is a Reddit page but that doesn't really get too many updates. The FB page is heavily moderated and anything that the moderater considers Canyon bashing or just complaining in general, is removed by him. There was a thread just a day ago that was made by someone venting about their experience which got a lot of replies, the thread was toasted shorlty after. Sometimes I think it's moderated just a bit too much, but I do understand removing useless posts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cberg

by cberg

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:07 pm
BertD wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:49 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:

Is there any other website where future Aeroad owners update each other about their orders, other than that Facebook page?

A few weeks ago I heard on the chat on the website that I would be notified shortly.
As expected total silence since then
Not really. There is a Reddit page but that doesn't really get too many updates. The FB page is heavily moderated and anything that the moderater considers Canyon bashing or just complaining in general, is removed by him. There was a thread just a day ago that was made by someone venting about their experience which got a lot of replies, the thread was toasted shorlty after. Sometimes I think it's moderated just a bit too much, but I do understand removing useless posts.
I used to be pretty active on the group but it has really gone downhill lately, imo the power has gone to the head of the owner/admin/moderator. He insists on doing everything by himself and doesnt want any other mods on there

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

cberg wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm
I used to be pretty active on the group but it has really gone downhill lately, imo the power has gone to the head of the owner/admin/moderator. He insists on doing everything by himself and doesnt want any other mods on there
I joined mainly to get updates about releases and to talk about problems that I was having early on with the seatpost and cracks. I learned early on that you pretty much can't say anything negative so I decided to just lurk/read and not post much. Not that all I would have to say is negative though but when there's a problem I don't want to tip toe around it. I want to state the issue and get other peoples experiences and I think that can be done without "bashing" a brand.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:

I would wager this to be true. The US site has said Feb 2022 for a couple of days now so I don't think any bikes are going anywhere until after the new year. I would bet that no new bikes will be on the site until early Spring. Depends on how quickly the fixes can be applied to current bikes.
Dear god. I don't have an active pre-order but I'm desperate to get a 12 speed CF SLX Aeroad, which seems to move further and further away.

On the other hand I don't think there are any other manufacturers actually shipping 12 speed Ultegra equipped bikes. Well, let's hope for next year's season.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:43 am
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:

Dear god. I don't have an active pre-order but I'm desperate to get a 12 speed CF SLX Aeroad, which seems to move further and further away.

On the other hand I don't think there are any other manufacturers actually shipping 12 speed Ultegra equipped bikes. Well, let's hope for next year's season.
I was in a local shop Saturday and he had a Willier in with the new ultegra, but it was a tt bike

Stradabianche

by Stradabianche

My friend got his Trek Émonda SLR7 with new Ultegra 12-speed delivered the other week so seems like some of the big brands have received it at least.
Guess Canyon is a small customer in comparison to Trek/specialized etc.

tomtom

by tomtom

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:25 pm
tomtom wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:40 pm
- they offered me a new frame (no answer on leadtime yet) because off the fading of the horizontal stripes which are not under the clear coat (and will they be on a new set?)
I was under the impression that those horizontal stripes on the seat stays were just decals like the Canyon name decals all over the bike, couldn't they just peel them off and replace? Also, did they say that the stickers will be going under a clear coat now? Not sure how that will be done especially on the stealth black bike, on the pro white I could see but that would also add to their claimed weitght of the bike which keeps adding up.
That would be more logical and so I have asked....but no answer(s) yet
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

cberg

by cberg

If delays are only down to availability of new Shimano, then it doesnt make sense that SRAM models are also delayed imo. There's something (probably to do with cracking frames) going on since delays seem to be even longer now

Aerohead23

by Aerohead23

cberg wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:00 pm
If delays are only down to availability of new Shimano, then it doesnt make sense that SRAM models are also delayed imo. There's something (probably to do with cracking frames) going on since delays seem to be even longer now
I 100% agree with this.
If it was down to parts then they would have said so and theyve said consistenly that parts are allocated to each order already.
Previously i reckoned they didnt have the stuff but its gone too far now, surely they would have cancelled by now if they didnt .

cberg

by cberg

I messaged Canyon support again today. Nothing new, but it seems like they don't know much more than we do, they told me that they have been trying to get more information from Germany and that they would get back to me once they know more. Just confirms that local CS doesnt really know much more about the Aeroads than we do imo

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

While groupset parts are indeed scarce, other brands have gotten some bikes out the door to customers with newer groupsets. I really think Canyons delay comes down to 2 main issues:

1. They underestimated how long it would take to complete the repairs on the seatpost/bars correctly especially when done outside of the Canyon factory by GetBikeService/Velofix. So I would think that all repairs going forward will be done directly by Canyon instead of a second party. I have heard of issues where people bikes were damaged by the second party resulting in a warranty claim.

2. They didn't anticipate having to replace frames on many of the bikes that got sent back in for service either. This just pushes the timeline back even further as they wait on the new frames to be produced.

So basically, no new bikes will go on sale (even if Canyon has the parts) until all the current customers bikes are fixed and sent back out. It just wouldn't be a good look if Canyon started selling the new bike while their current Aeroad owners bikes were unridable.

spartacus

by spartacus

Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

I still think they would have been better off just recalling the bike and then giving customers new bikes. In the end I think it would have been cheaper for them, but I think they thought differently in the beginning. Maybe not so much now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

spartacus wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:44 pm
Still cracks me up that canyon won't just come out and tell everyone what's going on. Honestly this whole spectacle has been some of the most shocking "customer service" and "engineering" I've seen I've seen. The fact that people here are still trying to buy an aeroad is mind blowing.
Why do you say that? Do you own one? Have you ridden one?

While it's terribly unfortunate for those who have had real issues with their Aeroad's (cracked chain stays, etc.), some of us haven't had any issues with our bikes whatsoever. In fact, my CFR is by far the best bike I've ever owned in terms of performance and "fun factor". Having two CFR's in my household without a single issue (my wife and I), and after almost 10,000 km ridden combined, from my perspective, those who wait out the growing pains of the Aeroad will be richly rewarded with an absolutely amazing bike.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)