2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Cannoli wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:36 pm
wozzo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 pm
Doesn't the manual specifically state not to put carbon paste there and only around the clamping mechanism..?
It does, but I have taken it out after around 300km to check if there is any sign of wear and nothing like this is happening for now. I think because of the tape and snuggly fit, there is no room for any movement that could damage carbon around. if it works, I leave it and see every couple of rides if it's not making any harm to the frame...
300km is nothing in the grand scheme of things and will not represent reality over time. I would NOT recommend carbon paste on the seatpost except for the clamping area as directed by Canyon.

Use a small piece of 3M tape at the very back flat section, and thick waterproof grease all around where the post interfaces with the frame opening. Change the tape when it becomes deformed from slight movement and clean and re-grease at the same time.

I do this on my CFR and my wife's CFR approximately every 1000km or as needed. I have 13,354km on my CFR and my wife has 9,492km on her's as of today. No seatpost wear and no issues whatsoever following this routine.
Thanks for the instruction! Do you use any special grease or just any?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Eterna7m wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:11 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:36 pm
wozzo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:19 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 pm
Doesn't the manual specifically state not to put carbon paste there and only around the clamping mechanism..?
It does, but I have taken it out after around 300km to check if there is any sign of wear and nothing like this is happening for now. I think because of the tape and snuggly fit, there is no room for any movement that could damage carbon around. if it works, I leave it and see every couple of rides if it's not making any harm to the frame...
300km is nothing in the grand scheme of things and will not represent reality over time. I would NOT recommend carbon paste on the seatpost except for the clamping area as directed by Canyon.

Use a small piece of 3M tape at the very back flat section, and thick waterproof grease all around where the post interfaces with the frame opening. Change the tape when it becomes deformed from slight movement and clean and re-grease at the same time.

I do this on my CFR and my wife's CFR approximately every 1000km or as needed. I have 13,354km on my CFR and my wife has 9,492km on her's as of today. No seatpost wear and no issues whatsoever following this routine.
Thanks for the instruction! Do you use any special grease or just any?
I use Kogel Aqua Proof Grease, but only because I have it. Any viscous waterproof grease should do.

https://www.kogel.cc/collections/tools- ... 4825860746
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yungillmatic

by yungillmatic

Just clocked 10k on my Aeroad so thought I’d post a quick summary of my experience so far.

· Delivered November 2020.
· The handlebar was scratched on delivery so received a set of bottle cages to compensate for the damage.
· Kept riding it trough-out the stop ride period (handlebar saga) which took forever to resolve.
· I miss the original handlebar drops. I really liked the shape.
· The seatpost still creaks every now and then. But haven’t tried to apply some tape soon as others have recommended.
· Despite all the previous drama, I’m still very happy with my bike and absolutely love the balance between speed and comfort.[/list]
Attachments
CleanShot 2022-07-02 at 23.02.24@2x.png

tmanley

by tmanley

Anyone here riding the XXL size? I’m curious to know what the maximum distance you can get from BB to top of saddle. I know Canyon lists this measurement on the geometry table but I’d prefer to hear from an owner. I need 91cm from BB to top of saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stradabianche

by Stradabianche

So, finally mine started to create the creaking sounds (1000km) from the seatpost as I read in this thread happened to many of you. Did the same procedure as recommended; re-applied grease and put on a strip of adhesive protection film (same as I use on some exposed areas of the frame) on the flat section of the post. Silent for 350km now.
Will try to remember inspecting it every now and then even if not creaking.

By the way; I did also go for a biketrip with it and it performed wonderful with full set of bags attached to it! Really a versatile bike!
Attachments
613E3772-4D48-424E-91E5-E917D5BACFEF.jpeg

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

After cleaning and regreasing, my seatpost creak was significantly reduced. After an 80km ride, it’s now getting worse. I tried putting electrical tape on the back of the post (the flat part). That helped. Still a little creak when I move the saddle side-to-side (I’ve isolated the saddle as not being creaky/squeaky, that’s not it). I then put some electrical tape on the front of the seatpost. That helped a little more.

It’s such a great bike, but it’s extremely annoying to me to feel like I’m out enjoying a ride just waiting for the creaking to maybe start.

I feel like we shouldn’t be having to bodge fix $9-10k bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

Put around 500km so far. Never had any issue with seatpost creaking. I'm on the shorter side so my seat is further around 2.6 marker (according from where the dust/water top cover is). but did noticed an ever so slight play. literally less than 1mm fore/aft. Decided to add electrical tape, but I let the tape overlap 2mm each side instead of cutting it to the edge. I use white lightening bio grease which had a thicker viscosity than the stock grease. I put a healthy amount all inside the cover. Used Finish line carbon paste on the side where the bolt contacts to the seatpost. Had no problem sliding seatpost in. Tighten everything down and it's now a tight fit! no play whatsoever and silent.

To be honest I've had friends on 13k sworks, Trek Emonda, Giant TCR, etc... and they have had experience with seatpost/saddle creaking or slipping at some point.

TomS

by TomS

tmanley wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:12 pm
Anyone here riding the XXL size? I’m curious to know what the maximum distance you can get from BB to top of saddle. I know Canyon lists this measurement on the geometry table but I’d prefer to hear from an owner. I need 91cm from BB to top of saddle.

i have a 2XL version, I'll check tomorrow when I'm back home. But I'm 99% sure that won't work since mine is at 87cm (center BB to top saddle) and it's set at 7.1 out of a 8cm max... But this is just on top of my head, so will check tomorrow.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Maybe some people are OK with creaking seatposts. I’m actually really happy for them and I wish it didn’t bother me. But, it does. It’s a significant enough issue that Canyon had to design a “fix.”

I went on a 60k ride this afternoon. Still creaking despite tape and three attempts at cleaning and regreasing. I wonder if my bike is just out of spec. It’s interesting that some Aeroads seem to have no issues with creak and others, obviously, do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cannoli

by Cannoli

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:07 pm
Maybe some people are OK with creaking seatposts. I’m actually really happy for them and I wish it didn’t bother me. But, it does. It’s a significant enough issue that Canyon had to design a “fix.”

I went on a 60k ride this afternoon. Still creaking despite tape and three attempts at cleaning and regreasing. I wonder if my bike is just out of spec. It’s interesting that some Aeroads seem to have no issues with creak and others, obviously, do.

I do believe there are some significant manufacturing variances with the early Aeroads. I didn't send our CFR's back to Canyon for the "fix" as we didn't have any issues with our bikes (wife and I) to begin with. I was planning to send them back, then read one disastrous story after another from folks here and elsewhere regarding creaks when there was none before, scratches that weren't there before, etc.

I was in California recently for work and visited the Canyon showroom to kill some time. After talking with the folks on the floor, I was further convinced that we're better off just leaving our bikes alone. They can keep their $1500 per bike. I'm perfectly satisfied with our CFR's just as they are and still believe we got a great deal for the spec.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

wozzo

by wozzo

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:07 pm

I do feel you mate, really am. On one side this is a fantastic piece of carbon. Fast and comfortable for a race aero bike, but I can not be happy with it. Every ride there is a thought in the back of my head wheather the seatpost will start or not start to squeak soon. Obviously even worse if you have to listen to it during the ride. just not what is expected from a product of this class and price. I have already written to Canyon with question, if something other than a YouTube video (which is no use anyway) is in plans to fix this defect. unfortunately, nothing like that will probably happen. And also they are still selling those bike like there is no problem at all with it. Crazy

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Just to offer some positive feedback: I know it's early but after about 1000 Km ridden on my Aeroad CF SLX there isn't any creaking to report. It's one of the new Aeroads (in Pale Green).

Though the other day my seatpost, which was tightened to spec, slipped down during a ride (and I'm a rather lighweight rider). Unfortunately on a 2XS frame that means removing the back wheel in order to even reach the clamp screw. Let's hope it won't be a frequent occurrence.

Still, so far it's a fantastic bike.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 am
Just to offer some positive feedback: I know it's early but after about 1000 Km ridden on my Aeroad CF SLX there isn't any creaking to report. It's one of the new Aeroads (in Pale Green).

Though the other day my seatpost, which was tightened to spec, slipped down during a ride (and I'm a rather lighweight rider). Unfortunately on a 2XS frame that means removing the back wheel in order to even reach the clamp screw. Let's hope it won't be a frequent occurrence.

Congrats , also on getting that 2XS :)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Eterna7m wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:07 am
thirdsun wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:46 am

Congrats , also on getting that 2XS :)
Thanks! Now that you mention it I guess I never reported back. (Happy bike owners rarely post it seems)

About 3 weeks ago I finally saw a CF SLX 8 Di2 in size 2XS / Pale Green in stock, immediately ordered (I've never been that frantic during an order process) and 3 days later it arrived. Immediately after my order it was out of stock again so I assume it was a single bike in stock.

After all I'm glad I waited for the Shimano R8100 equipeed Aeroad.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomS

by TomS

TomS wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:48 am
tmanley wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:12 pm

i have a 2XL version, I'll check tomorrow when I'm back home. But I'm 99% sure that won't work since mine is at 87cm (center BB to top saddle) and it's set at 7.1 out of a 8cm max... But this is just on top of my head, so will check tomorrow.
So here are my measurements: center BB to top of the saddle = 86.5cm, set at 7.1 cm. So you get it to about 87,5cm at max seatpost height, but no more than that I'm afraid... (btw my inseam is 97cm, with 175mm cranks this works just fine for me).