2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:48 pm
With respect to how much crap i've read about this version of the bike, i guess they work on a complete redesign?
Even if i wanted this bike, i would steer clear due to all that i've read here.
That's hyperbolic.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BrianAllan wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:16 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:48 pm
With respect to how much crap i've read about this version of the bike, i guess they work on a complete redesign?
Even if i wanted this bike, i would steer clear due to all that i've read here.
That's hyperbolic.
You think so, i don't!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

So I think my seat post rails are creaking, they’re tirox rails with the regular round clamps, this should be dealt with regular grease right?

TomS

by TomS

yourrealdad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:08 pm
TomS wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 am
yourrealdad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:16 am
Ride today. I think my seatpost is creaking. Sounds almost like a rattle or circular, but not. Goes away standing up.

Just to be clear tape goes on the back of the post like when we were trying to stop the wear?
I put mine all around the bottom part of the seatpost few days ago, will try today whether that helps. FYI - went to Canyon CS center few weeks ago, they "fixed" it permanently they claimed.... permanent for 1200km or so yes, but it was back louder than ever on my last ride... taper worked fine for me before I went back to Canyon.
So you put tape in the thin part that gets clamped? 360 degrees of tape? Seems excessive?

Yees indeed, all around it, and added some at the wider part too today. It was not creacking during a short(er) ride (122km) yesterday, but it did creack while standing still with one foot on the ground and moving around on the saddle... Of course the obvious solution would be not to move around, or simply not to stand still :mrgreen:

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Hm ok the bike rode fine without any creaking….

Now I’ve tried to adjust the height of the handlebar according to the canyon video… i removed one spacer and when I tried to tighten the bolt to 9nm my torque immediately clicked which was weird and the stem isn’t locked in place.
The bolt has also has a little play but I think it would require a lot of force to unscrew it which seems unreasonable.
man.. has any of you heard of something like that?

Edit: it’s not the bolt with play but rather the 4mm hex
So I think it may be Stuck? Because I can still move the handlebar up and down but can’t really turn the bolt either direction…

mal

by mal

my bike has arrived! however.. check out the front brake mount out of the box. this mark is not detectable in touch and the surface is still all smooth. could someone more carbon savvy comment? no reply from Canyon yet, but not sure if I should take it for the first test ride outside.
Attachments
IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG

hubevash

by hubevash

Cannoli wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:55 pm
hubevash wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:02 am
my frame broke again, exactly in the same place as the previous one, rear fork ...
can you post a picture?
canyon-crack.jpg

MattVega

by MattVega

hubevash wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:10 am
Cannoli wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:55 pm
hubevash wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:02 am
my frame broke again, exactly in the same place as the previous one, rear fork ...
can you post a picture?
canyon-crack.jpg
A CF SL7 ?

I am not surprised that it broke there tbh, I find that, without the thru-axle installed, that part is really flexy. When I put it up on my home trainer for the first time I was really surprised how flexy the chain stays are...

Not sure if you guys had the same feeling. FYI: with thru-axle: no problem and really stiff.

Did you ride in a pot-hole or something? Or did this just happened at random ?

hubevash

by hubevash

Yes, CF SL7. It broke in the same place as the previous frame. I didn't run into a big hole, smaller ones happened. But the frame should not break from this.

MattVega

by MattVega

As an engineer; I must say that the crack on the top of the chain stay does not look like a crack coming from the inside, but rather a blunt impact. Also quite some scratches around the crack itself.

What's the position of your crank arm in regards to the crack? It looks like the end of your crank arm, no ? I get the impression your crank hit the frame causing the crack. (also due to the scratches on your crank) .

Are you sure your crank is ok? Did they switch the crank when they replaced the previous frame?

mal

by mal

Kudos to Canyon for getting back to me very fast with "the base lacquer layer is removed from the adapter brake mounts areas so it doesn't peel off, that's why it looks like this, and everything is fine."

I guess I'll take it out for a maiden voyage then! Although could someone post their pic of their front brake mount on black Aeroad where the fork meets adapter screws? That top screw area looks a little too much like hairline, not a peeled off area. Sorry if I'm overthinking, I'm a total layman here.

Also, a total noob question, what are the PSI ranges for Aeroad's Conti GP 5000 S TR 25mm and 28mm (tan walls if that changes anything)? I'm running tubes for now. I only found info about 109 PSI (25mm) and 94 PSI (28mm) being max pressure, and one of the stores selling them has this on their website:

6.5-8.5 bar for 25mm, 6.5-8.0 bar for 28mm

Could someone confirm what's the official range? I have to start somewhere and wanted to compensate for those "few grams" I gathered during the winter without a bike.

mal wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:59 pm
my bike has arrived! however.. check out the front brake mount out of the box. this mark is not detectable in touch and the surface is still all smooth. could someone more carbon savvy comment? no reply from Canyon yet, but not sure if I should take it for the first test ride outside.

MattVega

by MattVega

mal wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:45 am
Kudos to Canyon for getting back to me very fast with "the base lacquer layer is removed from the adapter brake mounts areas so it doesn't peel off, that's why it looks like this, and everything is fine."

I guess I'll take it out for a maiden voyage then! Although could someone post their pic of their front brake mount on black Aeroad where the fork meets adapter screws? That top screw area looks a little too much like hairline, not a peeled off area. Sorry if I'm overthinking, I'm a total layman here.

Also, a total noob question, what are the PSI ranges for Aeroad's Conti GP 5000 S TR 25mm and 28mm (tan walls if that changes anything)? I'm running tubes for now. I only found info about 109 PSI (25mm) and 94 PSI (28mm) being max pressure, and one of the stores selling them has this on their website:

Could someone confirm what's the official range? I have to start somewhere and wanted to compensate for those "few grams" I gathered during the winter without a bike.

mal wrote:
Depends on your weight; GCN had a really nice video about this.

I am around 80kg (give or take) and I ride 90PSI in the front, 95PSI in the back.

hubevash

by hubevash

MattVega wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 am
As an engineer; I must say that the crack on the top of the chain stay does not look like a crack coming from the inside, but rather a blunt impact. Also quite some scratches around the crack itself.

What's the position of your crank arm in regards to the crack? It looks like the end of your crank arm, no ? I get the impression your crank hit the frame causing the crack. (also due to the scratches on your crank) .

Are you sure your crank is ok? Did they switch the crank when they replaced the previous frame?
They didn't replace the crank, the crack is not on the chain side. The crack is at the height of the crank, but the bike would have to bend a lot for the crank to touch the fork

TomS

by TomS

mal wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:45 am

mal wrote:
Front and rear, I don't see any removing of the paint on my bike...

I run them at 5.6 rear and 5.8 front (28/25, resp. - I weigh 71kg) - you can use SRAM's online calculator to give a good first estimate for your weigt (I put them a bit higher than the online calc...)
Attachments
IMG_7889 copy.jpg
IMG_7891 copy.jpg

mal

by mal

thanks, MattVega! I'll check out the video. I was just wondering what's the manufacturer's PSI range not to go above or below it. I was 80 kg too and wanted to say I'd start with your PSI numbers, but I just weighed myself and looks like I've advanced 2 levels to 82 kg.
MattVega wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:55 am

Depends on your weight; GCN had a really nice video about this.

I am around 80kg (give or take) and I ride 90PSI in the front, 95PSI in the back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com