2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frozzberg

by frozzberg

crabra wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:36 am

Reach of the CP0018 bars are 74mm.
Thank you, this is superbly helpful!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frozzberg

by frozzberg

thirdsun wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:53 am

I think you're comparing 2 different values.

Reach+ is measured from the bottom bracket to the point where the steam meets the handle bar. Looking at the Tarmac SL 6 geo table the equivalent measurement would be frame reach (384) + stem (110, well slightly shorter due to the angle - let's say 100) = 484. That's not too far off the Aeroad.

Your earlier calculation included the handle bar reach (which is the distance from the crossbar to the hoods) - for your Tarmac that seems to amount to 574. If we include that distance in the Aeroad we are looking at 459 (Reach+) + 74 (handle bar reach, see crabra's post) = 533

So it's ca. 484 vs 459 at the handle bar or 574 vs 533 at the hoods.
Oh right, my bad. This does seems like the aeroads fit is indeed not suitable for me, even if i i'll be comfortable with a stem that's 1cm shorter on the tarmac sl6, total at hoods will be approx 552(assuming 100mm stem ~90mm horizontal distance).

Am i right to assume the aeroad is out of the qn 🥲🤣😂

thirdsun

by thirdsun

It's up to you but I'd say 20 mm isn't an extreme difference. You might have a hard time finding a bike that meets for current geometry exactly.

Also, you could talk to Canyon and ask if you have the option to exchange the cockpit in case the original doesn't fit. They won't send the bike with a different cockpit out of the box but exchanging it afterwards may be an option according to various reports by customers.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

crabra

by crabra

frozzberg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:42 am
crabra wrote:

This cockpit with the 120mm stem in the photo came with a medium frame.
Normally comes with a 100mm stem.
I just ordered a longer stem with the frameset.
Just see if you can order a small Aeroad with a 110mm stem.
SL6 384 + 110 + 80 = 574mm to center of the curve (front) of the bars.
Aeroad small 390 + 90 + 74 = 554mm.
20mm shorter on the Aeroad.
Just need a 110mm stem to be the same.
Hood placement on the bars can vary the distance to the hoods a tiny bit if they are slightly different between bikes.

Lina

by Lina

thirdsun wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:44 pm
It's up to you but I'd say 20 mm isn't an extreme difference. You might have a hard time finding a bike that meets for current geometry exactly.

Also, you could talk to Canyon and ask if you have the option to exchange the cockpit in case the original doesn't fit. They won't send the bike with a different cockpit out of the box but exchanging it afterwards may be an option according to various reports by customers.
20 mm is a pretty drastic change in handlebar placement. And on any bike that takes normal stems it's trivial to replicate your old position if your new bike is even close to being the correct size.

frozzberg

by frozzberg

crabra wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:54 pm
frozzberg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:42 am
crabra wrote:

This cockpit with the 120mm stem in the photo came with a medium frame.
Normally comes with a 100mm stem.
I just ordered a longer stem with the frameset.
Just see if you can order a small Aeroad with a 110mm stem.
SL6 384 + 110 + 80 = 574mm to center of the curve (front) of the bars.
Aeroad small 390 + 90 + 74 = 554mm.
20mm shorter on the Aeroad.
Just need a 110mm stem to be the same.
Hood placement on the bars can vary the distance to the hoods a tiny bit if they are slightly different between bikes.
Thanks @cabra and @thirdsun for your inputs and calculations :lol:

I've asked canyon support on numerous occasions (to try seek a different agent) on the stem length requirement, the common answer I get is there is no way they will change the cockpit at the factory, my only alternative is to purchase an additional cockpit and install @ my own expense. They will also not allow refund / exchanges of cockpit regardless of your fit figures. I guess its up to me to decide if the additional installation fee and loss of $$ (to sell the uninstalled cockpit) is worth the hassle! :D

frozzberg

by frozzberg

Lina wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:04 pm
thirdsun wrote:

20 mm is a pretty drastic change in handlebar placement. And on any bike that takes normal stems it's trivial to replicate your old position if your new bike is even close to being the correct size.
Indeed its a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference, such a bummer as i knew canyon used to allow customizations or exchanges. Guess supply chain issues hit them up (or so i choose to give BoD for haha)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

frozzberg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm
Lina wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:04 pm
thirdsun wrote:

Indeed its a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference...
Ok, ok - I stand corrected. Maybe I'm just used to my outlier size bracket where I don't have that many options and 20 mm seem ok.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

The inability to swap the cockpit even as an exchange is frustrating... 20mm is not a trivial change in fit. I'm in the same boat where to get the headtube length I'd like, I need to move up a frame size (Looking at the Large). Currently running a 56mm top tube BMC with 11sp campy mechanical (shorter reach vs Shimano) on a 120mm stem. I don't want to be in a position where I have to spend $400 to dial in my fit on a $6k bike.. (Not to mention them stocking the bike with 175mm cranks?) Ironically you can just return the entire bike if you're not satisfied. lol.

madden2010

by madden2010

I guess not many are a fan of the Hot Salsa paint job as its the only version that seems to be in stock in various sizes of the SLX

frozzberg

by frozzberg

BrianAllan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:23 pm
The inability to swap the cockpit even as an exchange is frustrating... 20mm is not a trivial change in fit. I'm in the same boat where to get the headtube length I'd like, I need to move up a frame size (Looking at the Large). Currently running a 56mm top tube BMC with 11sp campy mechanical (shorter reach vs Shimano) on a 120mm stem. I don't want to be in a position where I have to spend $400 to dial in my fit on a $6k bike.. (Not to mention them stocking the bike with 175mm cranks?) Ironically you can just return the entire bike if you're not satisfied. lol.
Well i guess we'd have to take a look at other options for now until Canyon fixes their end, not holding my breath for this one though

chicagocyclist

by chicagocyclist

What's everyone's take on CFR ha SLX? I believe stiffness and tube profiles are identical and the only difference is weight (and obviously groupset/wheels). Seems like a hefty price for a few grams less on the Cfr model where I can't imagine there's any noticeable change in ride quality at all. Others agree?

willvousden

by willvousden

chicagocyclist wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 am
What's everyone's take on CFR ha SLX? I believe stiffness and tube profiles are identical and the only difference is weight (and obviously groupset/wheels). Seems like a hefty price for a few grams less on the Cfr model where I can't imagine there's any noticeable change in ride quality at all. Others agree?
That was my reasoning when I bought my SLX :noidea:

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a few grams, a DA badge on the groupset, and some stripes on the seatstay are the only differences.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

chicagocyclist wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 am
Probably not worth it unless money isn't a concern. It's their flagship tier and while a fantastic bike you will see diminishing returns on that level. That applies to Canyon's CFR range as well as S-Works or any other halo / prestige segment: Very desirable but far off the pricing sweet spot, which means that it wouldn't be a sensible, rational option but of course it doesn't have to be if you simply want it and can afford it.

I'd say even Dura-Ace as a group itself falls into this category. Ultegra is very close to flawless.
  • Vitus Venon Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

When I asked CS about my options if I needed a longer stem (ordered a S) he wrote to me I had to switch to a stem/handlebar combo, which I thought was very weird because canyon also sells these aero units.
What do you think are appropriate options?