2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cberg

by cberg

kipers wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm
cberg wrote:I think this was also asked in one of the privious threads, but how long is the total reach on the handlebars?
Canyon says that the stems actually fit like centimeter longer "classic" stem, but the reach of the handlebars are given as 74 mm (I think).
So how long is the total reach with these two added together? Can someone who has the bike measure from the middle of the stem to one of the gear levers?
Handlebar reach is 71 mm, this is what i learned from CS for my pre-buy fitting
:thumbup:
I run a regular 130mm stem with 70mm reach on the bars on the old gen Aeroad, so on the new one I should try and get a 120mm stem instead of the stock 110 on the large

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Here are the front and rear K-Edge mounts with (front) Bontrager Universal Blendr mount and (rear) Garmin Varia mount:
Front.jpg
Rear.jpg
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Cannoli wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:50 am
Here are the front and rear K-Edge mounts...
Looks cleaner than I thought it would. Nice set up Cannoli.
carbonLORD.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 am
Cannoli wrote:
Here are the front and rear K-Edge mounts...
Looks cleaner than I thought it would. Nice set up Cannoli.
Thanks cL. I'm happy with it. I'll snap some better shots soon. I literally took those just before heading out for a quick afternoon spin today.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Kzco

by Kzco

Cannoli wrote:
Here are the front and rear K-Edge mounts with (front) Bontrager Universal Blendr mount and (rear) Garmin Varia mount:

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg
looks clean as hell, good job.

References for the rear mount ?

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Kzco wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 am
Cannoli wrote:

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg
looks clean as hell, good job.

References for the rear mount ?
K-Edge "GoPro" under saddle mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BV ... UTF8&psc=1

Varia "GoPro" mount (it's actually all black despite the Amazon picture): https://www.amazon.com/corki-Garmin%EF% ... -2-catcorr

K-Edge said they were working on a Varia mount like the one linked above, but I have yet to see it. The Corki Vaira mount is plenty sturdy and looks really clean with the all black construction. With a short extension arm in between the Varia mount and the K-Edge mount, I'm certain I could still mount a small under saddle bag. Right now I have a small neoprene pouch (actually designed for a wireless mouse) that I use to carry my spare tube, tiny multi-tool, tire lever, and a small patch kit.

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

@Cannoli very clean looking setup.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm
@Cannoli very clean looking setup.
Thank you. Looks like my OCD is paying off! :mrgreen:

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Does anyone know if Canyon will make an Aeroad CF sl7 with the new rival ETAP at some point in the future?

treyxt

by treyxt

Wait for Aeroad CF SLX to come back in stock (who knows when). Or something else... hm. Idk what to do.
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

Tonytony

by Tonytony

Cannoli wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:30 pm
Latest info from Canyon (just got the email):

DEAR AEROAD CUSTOMER

On March 3rd, we sent you (and all other owners of the new Canyon Aeroad CFR) a notice asking that you stop riding your new bike due to a risk associated with the drop bar section of its CP0018 Aerocockpit.

We will continue to keep you informed of developments as new information becomes available. Accordingly, here is an update on what happened with the Aeroad’s drop bar, why it happened, and what we are doing to get you riding again as quickly and safely as possible.

We recognize that any downtime from your bike is a disappointment and we sincerely apologize for this situation.

WHAT HAPPENED

On March 2nd, Alpecin-Fenix rider Mathieu van der Poel’s drop bar broke (near the brake hood/shifter clamping area) while racing. Mathieu was riding the latest generation Aeroad CFR, equipped with the new CP0018 Aerocockpit. Following this incident, our product and quality experts immediately began analyzing possible causes.

Although this incident marked the first and only breakage of the new Aerocockpit’s drop bar we immediately asked all owners who purchased a current-generation Aeroad CF SLX or CFR between October of 2020 and January of 2021 to stop riding their new Aeroad until we created an effective solution to this problem. Your safety is our top priority.

WHY IT HAPPENED

The CP0018 Aerocockpit met the legally required, industry-standard ISO 4210-5 testing process without exception and also fared well in field testing, which included racing in Grand Tours and fall classics.

Our analysis of the breakage, however, has led us to realize that standard testing protocols do not replicate real-world stresses accurately enough and that the drop bar, as originally designed, is not robust enough to withstand all kinds of heavy strain.

YOUR DROPBAR WILL BE REPLACED

To address this situation, we are creating a revised drop bar for the CP0018 Aerocockpit. The new drop bars feature reinforced carbon sections (with increased wall thickness) that are significantly more robust. We currently anticipate providing you with a replacement between late July and September of 2021 and will also compensate you, monetarily, for time off your bike. We will send more information regarding your replacement drop bars as we get closer to July.

YOU WILL ALSO RECEIVE COMPENSATION

We deeply regret your loss of ride time and will provide you with a payment to help offset the downtime . As an owner of a new Aeroad CFR, you will receive $1,500 in compensation. This payment will be linked to the repair and will be issued to you following Canyon USA’s receipt of your Aeroad’s original drop bar and verification that your new Canyon drop bar was installed by either a professional at a selected bike shop or a Velofix representative.

A SEALING SOLUTION FOR YOUR SP0046 SEATPOST

The new Aeroad CF SLX and CFR models also feature our new SP0046 aero seatpost. Prior to launch, the SP0046 passed all ISO standard 4210-9 testing, as well as all real-world tests, including professional use, without any issues. After we launched the new Aeroad, however, it became apparent that the seatpost may show excessive abrasion when used in poor weather.

This seatpost abrasion does not pose a risk to your safety because it occurs on a non-load bearing portion of the post. However, it is unsightly and not what we consider acceptable. We are therefore creating a retrofittable sealing solution that blocks contaminants and solves this problem.

It will take several months to fabricate the sealing solution on a large scale. We anticipate it will be ready this coming fall, at which time we will send you further information on how we will apply the solution to frames, such as yours, that are already in the field.

WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE

As riders, we know that not being able to ride the bike you counted on is a serious inconvenience. We are sincerely sorry for that and we vow to get you back on your Aeroad as soon as safely possible. In the meantime, we ask again that you refrain from riding your bike until we have solved the drop-bar issue for you.

Best regards,

The Canyon Team
So the solution of the seatpost is only a sealing and not a new seatpost?

usr

by usr

Tonytony wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:45 am
So the solution of the seatpost is only a sealing and not a new seatpost?
Chances are the seatpost is too close to UCI minimums to make it sufficiently more narrow to make "seatpost plus x" fit into the frame, where x would be some addional part providing (secondary) clamping and/or nonabrasive movement. The root of the problem is the frame, it's just not a sound idea at all to clamp a flexing part far away from the last point of regular contact.

How well sealing and regular lubrication will help mitigating the problem probably depends a lot on where exactly each pairing of parts falls in terms of dimensional production tolerances. The fit has to be designed loose enough to insert the post even with the tightest pairing, without last-resort tricks like thermal expansion. "Put post in the freezer, treat frame with heat gun, good luck" is not something you'd want to read in the manual. The widest fits will have quite some room for movement (tenths of mm are more than enough to cause problems)

check6

by check6

Didn't several people have seat post chaffing after only using their Aeroad on a trainer? I am almost certain I recall they did. If so, it would sure seem like foreign matter intrusion is NOT the only issue with chaffing.

badriver

by badriver

My understanding is that the sleeve will also go inside the tube to avoid carbon on carbon friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

badriver wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:44 am
My understanding is that the sleeve will also go inside the tube to avoid carbon on carbon friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is not likely. There is nearly no room for even a piece of electrical tape let alone a rubber sleeve.