Clothing brands....Sportful, Castelli...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

MarkoP wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:47 pm
jgman wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 pm
MarkoP wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm
jgman wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:56 pm

Went on a ride this morning with the new Castelli Premio Black bibs and they are fantastic. Super comfortable, lightweight, breathabale, compressive legs, and no visible logos. Highly recommend.
I've been eyeing these but Castelli sizing always throws me for a loop.

Are you able to compare sizing to Assos (RS9) or Q36.5 bib shorts? I wear medium in those brands.
I am small in Assos and Q36.5 bibs and medium in Castelli bibs. However,whenever I order a different brand I usually order two sizes to try on both and return one
Thanks for the reco on these. Bought a pair past week and did a 6 hour ride in them on Saturday. Bought a large (medium in Assos and Q36.5).

Overall I was impressed and they will be in my regular rotation. Need to do a few more rides before I can compare to Assos Rs9 and Q36.5 Elite (comparable to the Dottore X I believe).

At this point I felt the chamois wedged a few times but other than that the length is great, chamois isn't bulky, junk isn't compressed and anesthetically I can mix and match the all black look with various jerseys.

The straps are good but I still find the Assos and Q36.5 soft straps hard to beat.

Will give it a few more rides break in and see how they hold up with multiple washes but definitely on par with the 2 brands.

If only Assos would only extend the length a couple of inches...argh
Is the chamois exactly the same as that in the Castelli Free Aero Race 4? I ask, because other than the wonky straps (which I can deal with, even if they're not ideal), my main problem with the Free Aero Race 4 is the chamois' apparent durability. At the back of the chamois, there is a "v" notch which exposes the underlying foam/gel pad, which appears to generally float between (i) the soft top material of the chamois and (ii) the main body of the bibs that contacts the saddle. That foam/gel pad is only stiched into the main body of the bibs in certain areas, to aid movement and prevent friction; there is a thin white nylon material laminated to both sides of the foam/gel pad, apparently to assist that movement. My particular problem is that nylon material begins to delaminate within just a couple of rides/washes and starts bunching up; it also means that the foam directly contacts the surface material and isn't as friction-free as I believe the chamois is designed to be.

Given the price of the bibs and that this is the top-of-the line chamois, I'm a little surprised. The chamois is compact, firm, and quite comfortable otherwise. With this exception (and the flimsy strap issue), the materials, fit, and compression are all great. I would prefer these shorts even to my current Assos bibs (or at least rank them as their equals), but for the chamois durability issues. Of my current rotation of upper-end Assos, Giordana, and these Castelli shorts, the Castellis are the only ones that I have this issue with. Always machine washed cold/delicate with Assos wash detergent; line dried indoors.

Anyone else have similar issues?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com