Clothing brands....Sportful, Castelli...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I've worn a lot of Sportful the last 5 years, before that a lot of Castelli. As mentioned, both owned by the same parent company. For me, I like the slightly understated look of Sportful vs Castelli. Sizing is very similar and also subject to the same variations depending on the product line (race fit vs endurance) and also where the garment is manufactured. In the old days I've had the same Castelli bibs, one pair made in El Salvador and one pair made in Romania and the El Salvador pair were a looser fit. I think this is totally impossible to predict from product to product, but I suspect the Romanian pair were destined for the European market (I bought from Wiggle) and the El Salvador were destined for N America (I bought from Competitive Cyclist).

Also IMAO (in my a** opinion) I prefer the Sportful TC Pro seatpad over the Castelli Progetto X2 pad. I always found the Progetto more prone to bunching up in places. On the lower cost options, the Sportful Bodyfit Pro pad and the Castelli KISS Air2 pad are about equivalent. I can easily do 3-4 hour rides in the lower cost Bodyfit Pro pad. Sometimes less complexity is more with a chamois.

jgman

by jgman

Just ordered Castelli's new Premio Black Bibs. Look really nice.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/men ... 00221P-010

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robius

by Robius

jgman wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:51 pm
Just ordered Castelli's new Premio Black Bibs. Look really nice.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/men ... 00221P-010
Yeah I'm also considering this. Looking forward to your feedback.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

sinfjotli

by sinfjotli

Sanchpanza wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:59 am
Has anyone tried any of that Isadore stuff ? Good bad ?
I have bib shorts and a "climbers" jersey from them. I really like the style and the fact that it is all made locally in Europe. I also like that the jersey has a zipped valuables pocket, not sure why some brands don't include it... In comparison with other bib shorts I have (Rapha, Assos, Velocio) the bib pad is a bit less substantial though still comfortable for me. The quality is good, I have been using these bibs weekly for the last 4 years and they have held up well. Hope that helps!

smokva

by smokva

I have one Sportful jersey which I used a lot and was one of my favorite shirts before I got 3 Assos shirts :) The only problem with it was that once you get stain on the material it never goes away.

Than I have one castelli custom yersey+bib kit, it was at the time on top of their range. Bibs were comfortable, but got broken seams after few rides. Jersey was ok , but i stopped wearing it after it got scratced in one crash accident. All together I would say castelli was nit worth the money it was paid. Quality was not what what was expected from 300 EUR kit. They have good design and brand is very strong but price value is not the best.

To be honest, from all these expensive brands that I have tried Assos is the only one that leaves me some kind of feel ing that got something special for big money that you have paid for it. Now I wear only Assos which I buy on 50% discounts for past season collections.

Someone has posted, I have also been in that castelli/sportful factory outlet store....big disappointment.

smokva

by smokva

I have one Sportful jersey which I used a lot and was one of my favorite shirts before I got 3 Assos shirts :) The only problem with it was that once you get stain on the material it never goes away.

Than I have one castelli custom yersey+bib kit, it was at the time on top of their range. Bibs were comfortable, but got broken seams after few rides. Jersey was ok , but i stopped wearing it after it got scratced in one crash accident. All together I would say castelli was nit worth the money it was paid. Quality was not what what was expected from 300 EUR kit. They have good design and brand is very strong but price value is not the best.

To be honest, from all these expensive brands that I have tried Assos is the only one that leaves me some kind of feel ing that got something special for big money that you have paid for it. Now I wear only Assos which I buy on 50% discounts for past season collections.

Someone has posted, I have also been in that castelli/sportful factory outlet store....big disappointment.

Aesch

by Aesch

I'm a big fan of q36-5. Every item I got was immediately favourite kit.
Cheaper but absolutely great stuff is eroe.cc. Simple, understated design but excellent, especially for the price.
Sizing is large though!

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

I believe the Sportful bodyfit pro ltd bibs (name has chaneged a fair bit, but always LTD) to be the best racy long ride shorts known to man.

The TC pro seat pad is just superb, yet not too bulky.

I have loads of other bibs, but a pair of the LTDs are all I would wear for my Monday long ride (normally 5+ hours).

Moltobene

by Moltobene

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:51 pm
I believe the Sportful bodyfit pro ltd bibs (name has chaneged a fair bit, but always LTD) to be the best racy long ride shorts known to man.

The TC pro seat pad is just superb, yet not too bulky.

I have loads of other bibs, but a pair of the LTDs are all I would wear for my Monday long ride (normally 5+ hours).
Nothing to add here. I dont plan to buy any other bibs anymore.

c60rider

by c60rider

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm
Never heard of Sportful, didn't know they were owned by the same company. Is the sizing similar to Castelli?
Sportful go back years they used to make the legendary Mapei team kit in the 90s from what I remember

Rnoben

by Rnoben

tommyboyo wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:51 pm
Did you also try any Q36.5 bibs? Haven't tried many bibs myself, but really love the Q36.5 Dottore for long rides.

Alfus

by Alfus

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:18 pm
Never heard of Sportful, didn't know they were owned by the same company. Is the sizing similar to Castelli?
Are you ok? everything alright during coma?

jgman

by jgman

I believe Castelli and Sportful are actually produced in the same factory.

otnemem

by otnemem

Sportful still sponsor teams in the Pro peloton.
There are several brands with understated kit that are quality. All my Assos bibshorts can only identified as such by either knowledgeable people or from really up close. I can pair them with jerseys and jackets from any other brand without clashing. You could do the same with many other brands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

otnemem wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:56 am
Sportful still sponsor teams in the Pro peloton.
There are several brands with understated kit that are quality. All my Assos bibshorts can only identified as such by either knowledgeable people or from really up close. I can pair them with jerseys and jackets from any other brand without clashing. You could do the same with many other brands.
Yeah they do.

Bora for example.

Sagan has used sportful stuff most years going back to Tinkoff days.

I had two version of the full team issue Tinkoff kit (2015/2016) and also a team issue Tinkoff SL5 and boy did I think I was cool!!!