Garmin 840?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Yoln wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:01 pm
Quoting DC rainmaker on the battery

"So, looking at the data that I have, with the screen brightness for today’s 75 minute ride at about 20% (it was an overcast day), the battery burn was 12.46%/hour, thus, ~8hrs. That’s paired to a power meter, heart rate sensor, and Varia radar (though, very low traffic since I was out in the middle of nowhere). It was navigating a course at the time, but the vast majority of the ride it was on regular data field pages, not the map page. Thus, 8 hours is seemingly short of the claimed 12 hours."

TLDR: 8h battery life at 20% brightness of screen.
He may even have tested a brand new Garmin.

Then there is the aging of the battery....

Yoln

by Yoln

TonyM wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Yoln wrote:

"So, looking at the data that I have, with the screen brightness for today’s 75 minute ride at about 20% (it was an overcast day), the battery burn was 12.46%/hour, thus, ~8hrs. That’s paired to a power meter, heart rate sensor, and Varia radar (though, very low traffic since I was out in the middle of nowhere). It was navigating a course at the time, but the vast majority of the ride it was on regular data field pages, not the map page. Thus, 8 hours is seemingly short of the claimed 12 hours."

Battery life on recent Garmins (530/830) is pretty outstanding. No idea precisely how long it lasts, but definitely more than 20h. I use mine on multiple days bikepacking trips without recharge. Did an 18h ride in Sept with Navigation and all sensors and had more than 30% battery left at the end
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bb13

by Bb13

Ok as I said i don't work for HH, I just find my k2 very good.
If you prefer garmin, that's fine.
I just proposed an alternative to replace an old device but ultimately, I don't care

wltz

by wltz

My Garmin 530 is 1.5 years old now, I can still squeeze a good 14 hours out of it on a long sunny summer day with all the sensors, Varia, PM, and screen always on. Iirc my old Wahoo Elmnt had ~20h in it, albeit with a pretty basic screen.
Last edited by wltz on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog101

by warthog101

TonyM wrote:
On my gravel bike:
- heart rate
- time of the day
No power data as my 1x Dura Ace crankset does not clear my Open wi.de frame for a powermeter.

I suppose we are just very different regarding the screen size.
I like to bike outside and see the nature and the outdoor without being distracted by a large display.
It is of course in my opinion very bad looking to have a large display in front of the bike as it looks like people riding a trekking bike with their smartphone on the handlebars (but I am an old fashioned road cyclist I guess. The Gen Z love to have their smartphone everywhere so that they can see it etc...)

You may want to post in the 1xxx garmin thread instead as usually the people who use a 5xx or 8xx just want to have a small display....(otherwise they would buy a 1xxx obviously).
Yeah we are different it appears, as is our gravel riding.
I put practicality ahead of looks.
I dont mind the look of the 1000 anyway.
It is marginally bigger than the 8 series.
The areas around where I live are heavily treed and there are tracks everywhere.
I am copying routes from people who have lived here their whole lives and use mapping devices due to the maze of tracks
Anyway enjoy your rides Image

warthog101

by warthog101

Yoln wrote:Quoting DC rainmaker on the battery of HH Karoo2

My 1000 is 6 years old I think. Can't remember exactly when I bought it.
With just HRM and PM connected the battery is good for ~13-14hrs.
The varia radar is a recent addition.
It knocks the battery life down to about 8hrs.
Dunno what screen brightness I have it set to.
Easily visible though.
Happily accept the reduced battery life for knowledge of what is coming up behind me on the road.

usr

by usr

TonyM wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:03 pm
Yoln wrote:

Actually he was testing a Hammerhead Karoo 2. I guess Yoln clarified in an edit (I almost missed that myself, after typing an elaborate answer about how the proper way to use a Garmin is auto brightness, which btw wouldn't help much with the Karoo screen)

kevinw

by kevinw

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:09 pm
Easily visible though.
Happily accept the reduced battery life for knowledge of what is coming up behind me on the road.
I would advocate turning the backlight off completely unless you are riding in the dark - that way I find that the varia doesnt have a noticable impact on battery life at all.
I sometimes ride in the dark so set it to 1 out of 10 - no idea what the purpose of settings 2-10 is to be honest.

warthog101

by warthog101

kevinw wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Easily visible though.
I would advocate turning the backlight off completely unless you are riding in the dark - that way I find that the varia doesnt have a noticable impact on battery life at all.
I sometimes ride in the dark so set it to 1 out of 10 - no idea what the purpose of settings 2-10 is to be honest.
Thanks. I will have a look at how to do that.
I've turned off the coloured warning lighting already though if that is what you mean?
It beeps when a car turns up and has a black stripe up the side with the dot(s) of the car(s) moving up until they pass.

warthog101

by warthog101

Apologies for more off topic discussion.
Backlight was set to auto.
Turned auto off now on lowest setting.
Backlight was set to stay on.
Now set to turn off after 15 sec.
Will see how that goes.
Alert setting for the varia. Colour overlay is off tones are on.
I like the beep when a car is detected.

kevinw

by kevinw

Sounds like you have it set up the same as mine now - hope it suits you.

usr

by usr

kevinw wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am
warthog101 wrote:
Easily visible though.
Just put it on auto and be done with it. During the day the backlight will be completely off, in the night it will be quite low and during dusk or dawn twilight when the eyes are not really adapted to darkness but there isn't enough ancient light for the display to be readable without backlight it will ramp up to something much higher for an hour or two. When you try to juggle it manually, the percentage you select to get through twilight will be a blinding waste in full darkness but you'll most likely forget to manually set it lower.

On the Edge 1000, you could even tweak the curve manually (mine was *very* frugal) with some file in a folder called "debug" (a quasi-binary file with tab separated digit in an environment that looks like it might contain some binary data as well, so be careful)

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Ambient light :thumbup:

warthog101

by warthog101

usr wrote: Just put it on auto and be done with it. During the day the backlight will be completely off, in the night it will be quite low and during dusk or dawn twilight when the eyes are not really adapted to darkness but there isn't enough ancient light for the display to be readable without backlight it will ramp up to something much higher for an hour or two. When you try to juggle it manually, the percentage you select to get through twilight will be a blinding waste in full darkness but you'll most likely forget to manually set it lower.

On the Edge 1000, you could even tweak the curve manually (mine was *very* frugal) with some file in a folder called "debug" (a quasi-binary file with tab separated digit in an environment that looks like it might contain some binary data as well, so be careful)
It was on auto and the backlight set to "stay on".
I don't ride much at night.

I'll see how battery life goes the way Kevin has suggested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

kevinw wrote:Sounds like you have it set up the same as mine now - hope it suits you.
Thanks Kevin Image