Garmin 840?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My FIT files propagate to Training Peaks after hitting Garmin Connect. An abbreviated version gets saved on Strava. I'm really not worried about my files being lost forever.

jlok

by jlok

bobones wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:00 am
jlok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 am
I can understand why there's a need to download to PC. Don't fully trust cloud service. It's a habit worth having. I always download the fit files to my PC maybe once per week as the original backup. Garmin Connect website will modify the file names from activity date-time to a meaningless serial no so it's difficult to ID them.
Is it really worth it, or perhaps it's unjustified paranoia? I have 3500 rides on Strava going back to 2010 and have never lost anything due to a cloud service outage. My rides are also on Garmin Connect and Xert so they are effectively backed up in 3 locations and I can download them in bulk or individually if I need to. I get a that Garmin recently suffered a major hacking related outage, however, there was no user data lost at the end of the day, but sure, don't put all your eggs in the one basket.

For most people, I don't think there's any need to plug the 830 into a computer on a regular basis other than to update the maps.
That's the question. I'm just saying I understand the need to do offline transfer via USB, and hence the Auto Sleep feature is useful to prevent battery drain after USB transfer. I just try to understand the situation of the others. I don't try to judge first and dismiss the usage of the others and not even think this world is that exclusive so only one solution is accepted. Value what you think is good for you, while also understand the others.

Btw I'm also Xert user and we know the sync issues ;)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

jlok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:57 am
That's the question. I'm just saying I understand the need to do offline transfer via USB, and hence the Auto Sleep feature is useful to prevent battery drain after USB transfer. I just try to understand the situation of the others. I don't try to judge first and dismiss the usage of the others and not even think this world is that exclusive so only one solution is accepted. Value what you think is good for you, while also understand the others.

Xert sync issues are not a data loss risk.

Anyway, I was merely pointing out to @Butcher that there are easier and more convenient ways to sync activities that he may not have known about given he didn't know about auto sleep. I wasn't dismissing his usage at all, but since you put it out there, I am questioning the validity of your reasons for USB syncing.

jlok

by jlok

bobones wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:03 am
jlok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:57 am

Xert sync issues are not a data loss risk.

Anyway, I was merely pointing out to @Butcher that there are easier and more convenient ways to sync activities that he may not have known about given he didn't know about auto sleep. I wasn't dismissing his usage at all, but since you put it out there, I am questioning the validity of your reasons for USB syncing.
Cloud sync is great, I agree and use it to sync from Garmin Connect to Xert. But I also do offline backup, plus I don't use the cloud sync on Golden Cheetah and it's a totally valid case, right? I'm not sure why cloud sync is the only way to go and why I must trust it 100% (like I said originally). If you say I'm too paranoid, maybe I can also say you're too comfortable with cloud sync? But that's not the point. I just say, I understand why there's a need for USB sync.

Butcher even didn't say why the need to download to laptop, and you said it's not necessary to go USB because you assumed that the file would only go to Strava or some online platform, right?

Anyway... it's Friday... I love cloud sync, just not 100% committed. Don't hit me.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I download to Golden Cheetah.

I'm old and like to own everything. Storing data in some cloud is not something that works for me.

I'm going down in my bunker right now.

Schoenrock

by Schoenrock

First images of the 1040 have popped up.

https://the5krunner.com/2022/05/21/garm ... st-images/

What do you guys think?
IMO it's a step back from the 1030Plus design. It looks like a modern version of the 1000 tbh, but I think the all black look was much cleaner.

Nonetheless, 35-70hrs of battery life is crazy.

alanyu

by alanyu

Schoenrock wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:35 pm
First images of the 1040 have popped up.

https://the5krunner.com/2022/05/21/garm ... st-images/

What do you guys think?
IMO it's a step back from the 1030Plus design. It looks like a modern version of the 1000 tbh, but I think the all black look was much cleaner.

Nonetheless, 35-70hrs of battery life is crazy.
Yes, and the solar energy version has 100 hrs battery life is a WOW. Waiting 840

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

And 45 hours under demanding usage like auto-brightness on a sunny day with navigation.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

But it’s even bigger than the 1030!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

They really need to have made the touchscreen up to Karoo 2 standards.

Flasher

by Flasher

Ugly design, bezel way too big, looks like a Samsung phone from 10 years ago!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

crlincoln wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 pm

2g lighter though...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

crlincoln

by crlincoln

spdntrxi wrote:
crlincoln wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:25 pm

2g lighter though...
Does bigger make it less aero Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robius

by Robius

Can't they make it thicker but without bezels? Do we really need a slim bike computer?
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Do we need a 35hr run time?