Garmin 840?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

bikerdan wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:52 am
Yeah I know. But am tempted with the touchscreen...from some of the previous comments I'm not so sure. I ride in most weather and sounds like I'd have problems in winter when it's often wet / cold

Touchscreen made set up look easier and I figured zoom in/out on maps must be way easier. Switch screen I've got set up via my STIs
Surprisingly important point - the set-up.

I know you only do it from time to time, but on my 520 without touch screeen it was such a balls-ache to input everything using just those buttons. Much easier on my 820 with touch screen.

Also finding workouts, naming sensors, entering courses etc. etc. I have had some issues with responsiveness on the 820 touch screen - hammering the screen to get a response - but it is a better compromise than my old 810 which would respond to drops of sweat etc. Hopefully the 830 is better still.

jlok

by jlok

Pottermouse wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 am
bikerdan wrote:
Yeah I know. But am tempted with the touchscreen...from some of the previous comments I'm not so sure. I ride in most weather and sounds like I'd have problems in winter when it's often wet / cold

Touchscreen made set up look easier and I figured zoom in/out on maps must be way easier. Switch screen I've got set up via my STIs

I know you only do it from time to time, but on my 520 without touch screeen it was such a balls-ache to input everything using just those buttons. Much easier on my 820 with touch screen.

Also finding workouts, naming sensors, entering courses etc. etc. I have had some issues with responsiveness on the 820 touch screen - hammering the screen to get a response - but it is a better compromise than my old 810 which would respond to drops of sweat etc. Hopefully the 830 is better still.
The x30 touch screens (and the system overall) are way smoother than 820. 820 CPU is simply underpowered for all the work involved.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

bikerdan wrote:

I have 530, once I got it to my preferred setup, I must confess I'm not using anything except on-off button.

You have various youtube 530 vs. 830 videos, maybe it can help you with your decision:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEB ... 530+vs+830

RDY

by RDY

I think a new Garmin is very likely this Spring. What it will be, I don't know. But Wahoo are due a new unit this Spring, Sigma likely too, as are Stages.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

I'm a bit on the fence with easy setup. On the one hand you only really do it once. But you also tend to never change anything as it's a pain to do

antiok

by antiok

I bought a 530 but it just seemed really clunky with buttons only when coming from an iPhone world. I swapped it straight away for the 830 and I'm very happy with it.

The screen isn't as good as a phone, but it works fine. The only annoying thing about the unit is the Sony GPS chip which occasionally has a wobble, some days it's rock solid, some days 60kminto a ride it will suddenly struggle to get an accurate fix and thinks you are in the field next to the road withj ensuing navigation issues.

handler

by handler

jlok wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 pm
Which sensor/data is missing from Karoo 2? I'm considering Karoo 2 or 1040 (if that would be named like it) as my 830 has weird road cycling navigation suggestion.
It's missing cycling dynamics, interfacing with body core temperature, and probl. also supersapiens sensor. Those sensors are probably just for those who really looking for enhancing their training but there's a longer list of unsupperted sensors on the Karoo forum https://karoousers.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15

I like the Karoo interface and screen but I feel that it's more of a GPS navigator than a training device.

tomtom

by tomtom

Pottermouse wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 am
bikerdan wrote:

The setup is one of the main reasons I switched from 530 to 830. The 830 is waywayway better than the 820 and the 530 is a "hell" to setup & maintain especially if you use all the functions and multiple profiles and/or often switch fields.
Canyon Aeroad CFR

xylar

by xylar

I'm hoping 530 plus will be out soon. Price reductions and out of stock so...

kytyree

by kytyree

ND4SPD wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:31 am

I have 530, once I got it to my preferred setup, I must confess I'm not using anything except on-off button.
Same for me, on bikes with Di2 I don't use the buttons on the 530 at all once I start a ride, everything is done from the Di2 levers.

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

Anyone any news on a new or updated garmin 830plus or 840?
I'm about to buy a 830, but if there is an update on the horizon, i will wait :)

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Some very vague rumors regarding a 1040. I haven't seen anything else regarding an 840 but you never know with Garmin.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I really like my 830 but I do not think I bought it very long ago. Could be an age thing. I do not think the next version is coming out soon.

handler

by handler

Have a look at the Karoo 2. Great device

usr

by usr

There haven't been any FCC filings by Garmin recently that look suspiciously like a new Edge, even though there are some were edgeness cannot be fully ruled out.

I don't expect the 40ies Edge this year, but then next year the whole range (well, except for the 130 range which is a bit of a wildcard).

Before the 530/830 (and ignoring sub-500 and explore), Garmin was usually modernizing one Edge price point per year. But that caused some awkward "but the cheaper one is better" situations (830 and 530 clearly outdoing the 1030 in everything except screen size) and I don't think they want that to happen again. In addion to that, the typical replacement interval for Edge devices has been slightly less than 3 years, which would schedule the 540/840 for early next year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com