Garmin 840?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jayjay

by jayjay

TonyM wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:57 am
Could you give me some more details about your battery life in your Edge 830?
Which sensors do you have connected?
How long does it last for a ride?
It almost lastet for a 24 hour 600km ride with navigation! During night time I turned the display backlight on.
But I have not one single sensor connected. I have no experience how much impact this would have on battery life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

My 830 can last around 23 hrs (several rides) with navigation, auto backlight, and pairing with speed sensor, PM and HRM when new and above 15C.

After two years use, under the same conditions, the battery decays and lasts around 20 hrs. If I turn off the backlight, it can last around 22-24 hrs under warm temperature.

bobones

by bobones

thirdsun wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:18 am
TonyM wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:57 am
jayjay wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:36 am
My 830 already lasts almost 24 hours. How much more would you need?

My bad! I meant the Edge 820 that I have ....
(have to deit my post)

Could you give me sssome more details about your battery life in your Edge 830?
Which sensors do you have connected?
How long does it last for a ride?

(I have a 820 connected to Di2, powermeter, hear rate belt, and Garmin radar and it just last 3 hours despite being a 2 y.o device)
The 520/820 series is very outdated. It's slow and had abysmal battery life from the start. Edge 530, 830 or 1030+ are in a completely different league in both regards. It will feel like night and day. Garmin claims a battery life of up to 20 hours for the 830. When I used my Edge 530 (before I switched to Wahoo) I could get about 16 hours easily while navigating (though not on map screen all the time) and having 4 sensors connected.
Agree with this. I had an 820 and ditched it after a few months as basic navigation features would not work due to lack of CPU power. The 830 is a dream by comparison and battery life is just something I don't need to think about as a fully charged unit will easily outlast my longest rides. I pair mine with PM pedals, HR monitor, Varia front and rear lights, AXS gearing and use navigation and Connect IQ apps from Xert extensively. The touch screen also works great even in rainy conditions as long as you don't use a screen protector. There really isn't much to complain about although dynamic rerouting when off course could be improved.

Stueys

by Stueys

Agree, battery life is good. The only issue I have with the 830 is the GPS chip, the GPS accuracy if there is any overhanging obstructions (trees, buildings, etc) is poor, especially when I compare it to the latest chipset they have in my Fenix 2 (which is amazing, especially in multiband).

I'd love to see an 840 with the latest multiband chipset in it, a solar option and maybe LTE (though I can't see a scenario where I'm not bringing my phone tbh)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Stueys wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am
Agree, battery life is good. The only issue I have with the 830 is the GPS chip, the GPS accuracy if there is any overhanging obstructions (trees, buildings, etc) is poor, especially when I compare it to the latest chipset they have in my Fenix 2 (which is amazing, especially in multiband).

I'd love to see an 840 with the latest multiband chipset in it, a solar option and maybe LTE (though I can't see a scenario where I'm not bringing my phone tbh)
I think there will always be difficult situations with poor GPS reception - I saw them with Garmin and Wahoo alike. In my opinion a speed sensor is necessary and worthwhile to assure proper activity recordings and avoid those GPS gaps.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

bobones

by bobones

thirdsun wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:09 am
Stueys wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:50 am

I think there will always be difficult situations with poor GPS reception - I saw them with Garmin and Wahoo alike. In my opinion a speed sensor is necessary and worthwhile to assure proper activity recordings and avoid those GPS gaps.
I ditched the speed sensor a few years ago and can't recall a single occassion where it's been missed. Granted, I don't ride through a lot of tunnels, past skyscrapers or along forest covered roads, so the GPS only occasionally drops out. At the end of a ride, the average speed on Strava will be correct whether a sensor was used or not, and I am not bothered at all if the instantaneous speed displayed on my computer is completely accurate all of the time.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

IMO Garmin should introduce a self-service repair program for Edge. My 820 didn't last 8 hours so I bought a battery replacement kit but even couldn't open the display until the plastic tool was broken. And it was the very first step of the entire careful work. Not sure 530/830 users ever have the battery degradation issue though.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

All I know is that I would love for my 830 to shut off after I down load the info to my laptop. I have a tendancy to leave it hooked up then close my laptop. The 830 will still be on till the battery goes dead. The next day? Yeah, dead. It's my fault, but I would love them to change that.

bobones

by bobones

Butcher wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:35 pm
All I know is that I would love for my 830 to shut off after I down load the info to my laptop. I have a tendancy to leave it hooked up then close my laptop. The 830 will still be on till the battery goes dead. The next day? Yeah, dead. It's my fault, but I would love them to change that.
Have you enabled auto sleep mode?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

No, I suspect I should. I thought that it would shut off if I do not use the display while riding. I usually do not touch it while riding and would not like that feature.

I will look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Butcher wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:48 pm
No, I suspect I should. I thought that it would shut off if I do not use the display while riding. I usually do not touch it while riding and would not like that feature.

Auto sleep obviously won't be triggered during an activity.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

kytyree

by kytyree

The only problem you can run into with auto sleep is after a ride if you have a hiccup with the download the garmin might go to sleep before your ride gets downloaded. You can just turn it back on, so not that big of a deal, other than that letting it go to sleep works well.

bobones

by bobones

Butcher wrote:

Also, you really don't need to connect your 830 to your laptop to upload your rides. If you setup the GarminConnect app on your smartphone, it will automatically collect the ride from the 830 when you save it and upload it over the cellular data network or wifi before you've even taken your helmet off. Other apps you may use such as Strava then get the ride data from Garmin. It's seamless and works really well. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 requiring a Wi-Fi connection to upload rides was actually a showstopper for me so much do I love the way Garmin has my ride data everywhere I want it as soon as I am done riding.

jlok

by jlok

bobones wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:07 pm
Butcher wrote:

Also, you really don't need to connect your 830 to your laptop to upload your rides. If you setup the GarminConnect app on your smartphone, it will automatically collect the ride from the 830 when you save it and upload it over the cellular data network or wifi before you've even taken your helmet off. Other apps you may use such as Strava then get the ride data from Garmin. It's seamless and works really well. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 requiring a Wi-Fi connection to upload rides was actually a showstopper for me so much do I love the way Garmin has my ride data everywhere I want it as soon as I am done riding.
I can understand why there's a need to download to PC. Don't fully trust cloud service. It's a habit worth having. I always download the fit files to my PC maybe once per week as the original backup. Garmin Connect website will modify the file names from activity date-time to a meaningless serial no so it's difficult to ID them.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

jlok wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 am
I can understand why there's a need to download to PC. Don't fully trust cloud service. It's a habit worth having. I always download the fit files to my PC maybe once per week as the original backup. Garmin Connect website will modify the file names from activity date-time to a meaningless serial no so it's difficult to ID them.
Is it really worth it, or perhaps it's unjustified paranoia? I have 3500 rides on Strava going back to 2010 and have never lost anything due to a cloud service outage. My rides are also on Garmin Connect and Xert so they are effectively backed up in 3 locations and I can download them in bulk or individually if I need to. I get a that Garmin recently suffered a major hacking related outage, however, there was no user data lost at the end of the day, but sure, don't put all your eggs in the one basket.

For most people, I don't think there's any need to plug the 830 into a computer on a regular basis other than to update the maps.