Speedplay Zero PM coming?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Nplus1 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:20 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:15 pm
snip

Also, they still have the same stupid 4-hole cleat adapters, with the same flimsy screws... why, Wahoo?
For me, this is the most disappointing aspect (particularly the cheese-like screws/bolts).
This use to bother me years ago prior to the walkable cleats. I have a few bags of screws still. With the new covers after the cleats are set I never touch them and they never wear out/strip like before

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:15 pm
So, as Stated by the spec sheet, they have gotten heavier:

It feels like the additional stainless steel on the plates has added the weight. I will therefore use them for everything but racing.
Also, they still have the same stupid 4-hole cleat adapters, with the same flimsy screws... why, Wahoo?
To be fair, the new nano are 5g lighter than the old Ti pedals (which I guess is what is in your third photo there?), and the new SS are only about 10g heavier than the old SS. So we're really just missing a replacement for the old nanogram version.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

So, for someone that has no problem with Shimano Blue cleats (+-1 degree float) on Shimano Dura-ace pedal.
A switch to Wahoo Speedplay Zero would result in:
- 3mm reduction in stack height (compare 3 bolts set-up). Or 4.5mm reduction in stack height for Bont Speedplay specific shoes. Speedplay specific Bont shoe is a little thicker than 3 hole version, but thinner than 3 bolt+adapter.
- Marginally more aero. But pay back in more bearing drag.
- 10g weight increase 228+100g pedals+cleats for wahoo vs 248+70g for Dura-ace
- narrower platform that feel as nice only if the pedal body doesn't worn down

Hmm, not sure the benefit worth the price premium vs Shimano (+200% more expensive cleats etc.)
But definitely a valid offering.
Last edited by Hexsense on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

Yeah, but Nano version is more costly than previous Ti version. No new Ti version...maybe so Wahoo can sell lots of Nano versions for a premium.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Neeb - as you say correctly, the new nanos weigh as much as the old Ti Zeros. However, the old zeros cost me €300, and the new Nanos were €440. That's quite a steep markup for what is the same pedal with minor updates.
I am a big Speedplay fan, but this is actually rather upsetting.
The old Nanos were badly overpriced though.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:27 pm
So, for someone that has no problem with Shimano Blue cleats (+-1 degree float) on Shimano Dura-ace pedal.
- 3mm reduction in stack height (compare 3 bolts set-up). Or 4.5mm reduction in stack height for Bont Speedplay specific shoes. Speedplay specific Bont shoe is a little thicker than 3 hole version, but thinner than 3 bolt+adapter.

Hmm, not sure the benefit worth the price premium vs Shimano (+200% more expensive cleats etc.)
I think the value for many people comes from, the axle legth adjustability, dual sided entry which is super nice for crits and steep climbs, and the full/adjustable float if needed. All of which shimano does not offer. The cleats are not that bad anymore as they do not wear out like before because you no longer walk on them and wear them down. But if you dont have a problem with shimanos and do not need them for fitting purpose, then no reason to change. I like the shimano platform beter but prefer the SP for the above reasons.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Yeah for the obvious of not needing much float at all and liking the wide platform I will stick with my DA pedals.. however did used to run Look and after ditching look for DA would never go back...

Although when SRAM come out with some new Time pedals I might be tempted to try...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

For me this pedal will work better as I was always wearing the plastic body down where the spindle inserts through the O-Ring which then would allow the grease to leak out past the O-Ring as it was exposed from the worn body.
I purchased a set of the Pave pedals and put the Ti spindle and bolts into it but the surface area on those pedals is smaller and today I did 150km ride with hot spots on my foot because of it. My thinking was the SS body would wear longer with little wear around the O-Ring. Maybe I will have to put the old style bowties on to increase the surface area if that will work.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

sychen

by sychen

Well.. They addressed 2 out of 3 major issues I had when I was running SP.. The last one is grit clearing really can't be sorted until a complete redesign (and mostly avoidable for most road rides).

While happy to stay with DA.. If I ever get more knee issues I'll happy to head back due to these improvements.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Wahoo not shipping these to Canada yet....was all ready to go.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

You can create your own speed play power meter pedal if you have the favero already. I have not done this but the Internal diameter of the bearings for inner and outer bearings are the same on both favero and speed play. Only reason I did not do this is I did not find favero reliable with spikes and one of the pedals not giving power. Never had issues with the garmin pedal

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Am I right I thinking the new cleat works on the old pedal? I've just bought a ti kit for the old style pedal...

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yes
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:42 pm
Yes
Ah cool thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevesbike

by stevesbike

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:27 pm

Speedplay are really for peope who want some non-recentering float - I have mine adjusted to just a few degrees but cannot replicate the feel with Shimano pedals - the recentering and unnatural float results in instant pain. I also use a 3mm longer spindle because I have a slight heel-in position and this allows the cleat to remain centered on the shoe. The ability to adjust the position of Speedplay cleats independently along each direction is also very helpful for fitting.