Speedplay Zero PM coming?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

You you mean the old cafe stop covers for the old metal cleats? These were OK, but they did have a tendency to fall off and get lost. With the walkable cleats you can just walk straight off of the bike (the cleats grip just as well as the old covers did), unless you are walking on dirt or gravel, when you need to fit the central round covers (which are more secure than the old cafe stops and smaller to carry).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwin

by Erwin

What do you guys do against annoying squeaks with speesplay pedals. For me the walkable cleats are a lot more noiser. I have tried different dry lubes/wet lubes (with wet lubes you always get dirty legs somewhere), but it is a pain sometimes. Worst pedal for me regarding noise: Speedplay Aero -> Pave -> Zero.

stevej

by stevej

Erwin wrote:What do you guys do against annoying squeaks with speesplay pedals. For me the walkable cleats are a lot more noiser. I have tried different dry lubes/wet lubes (with wet lubes you always get dirty legs somewhere), but it is a pain sometimes. Worst pedal for me regarding noise: Speedplay Aero -> Pave -> Zero.
IME, the squeaks happen when the cover isn’t fully seated on the cleat. Even one corner that is slightly on but not fully can cause noise. Look at all the corners and if you can see metal, your cover isn’t fully on.

stevej

by stevej

neeb wrote:I have wondered about the market for the aero version of the speedplay pedal. You'd have to be really, really into absolute maximisation of aero gains to sacrifice dual-sided entry for whatever fraction of a watt you'd gain from those..
TT’s and triathlon. When dual entry isn’t a consideration.

neeb

by neeb

Last edited by neeb on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

neeb

by neeb

stevej wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 am
neeb wrote:I have wondered about the market for the aero version of the speedplay pedal. You'd have to be really, really into absolute maximisation of aero gains to sacrifice dual-sided entry for whatever fraction of a watt you'd gain from those..
TT’s and triathlon. When dual entry isn’t a consideration.
'Spose so.. I'd have thought even with tri though you'd be more likely to lose 5s faffing with clipping in during the transition than to gain half that from any aero benefits.. :D

<edit> Oh, Ok - they have the shoes attached to the pedals first, I take it back... Still, the helmets-on-backwards must lose more aero watts than the pedals gain.. :D :D

AnkitS

by AnkitS

To those saying there isn't a difference in pedal options.

First of all, speedplay pedals, especially with a 4 bolt shoe, have the lowest stack height of any pedal system. 3mm lower is still 3mm lower.
Secondly, ERO sports did some testing with Brandon McNulty and there was a small difference for aero speedplays pedals vs regular. I can't remember the number and the link I had saved seems to be broken when they redesigned their website. It's not massive but it does exist for track racers or tri freds.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Nice to see this updated version . May try them finally, the original were too much of a mess " for me ", after seeing one good friend with them , and only riding them one ride ( so not much I take that )

If I find the courage to drill my 3 holes shoes to 4 holes,
Or I would use northwave thin adaptator .

Dan Biggles and his conversion available at wattshop.uk for 3 holes isn't lower stack than even 4holes bont ?
I tought so. Cause they had to put more material where the 4 bolts are compared to regular version .

customtune

by customtune

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/c ... 0513697197

Was interesting to hear where speedplay has had issues as a company and functionally. I liked the idea of including 2 springs with a cleat. I know I've broken a couple with the rest of the cleat still working.
Last edited by customtune on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

RNAV wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:30 am
Butcher wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:57 am
That's Speedplay's marketing from the beginning. It clips on both sides. So, I get what they are saying that it's the first dual sided pedal based power meter. No marketing trick I can see.
Better phraseology might be "world's first dual-sided entry left & right pedal based power meter."
That is clunky as hell man. Let the marketers and lawyers have their fun :D It's always caveat emptor anyway.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

What's the cheapest way to try out speedplays?

I've been running Shimano pedals, but I'm interested in trying speed plays without dropping a lot of money in something that may or may not work for me.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Last edited by Ride4Life on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

The foremost attraction for me is the (probably) lowest stack height, which I achieved using the Northwave adaptor and much fluffing about on my Bont shoes but without buying new shoes.
If stack height is not important to you, just buy a set and go for it. Buy the cro-mo version for the least outlay, and upgrade to aftermarket ti spindles if you enjoyed the experiment. Much later if you wish to go the whole hog buying 4-hole shoes, do some proper research to make sure you are indeed reducing stack height.
Recently, I saw the old models come on sale at Bike Bug.
Less is more.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

shimmeD wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:40 am
The foremost attraction for me is the (probably) lowest stack height, which I achieved using the Northwave adaptor and much fluffing about on my Bont shoes but without buying new shoes.
If stack height is not important to you, just buy a set and go for it. Buy the cro-mo version for the least outlay, and upgrade to aftermarket ti spindles if you enjoyed the experiment. Much later if you wish to go the whole hog buying 4-hole shoes, do some proper research to make sure you are indeed reducing stack height.
Recently, I saw the old models come on sale at Bike Bug.
Thanks

customtune

by customtune

I'd like to know if the pedal bodies of the wahoo pedals will be compatible with their power meter. And if compatible from old Speedplay to Wahoo? If the speedplay nanogram body is lighter than new composite nano and both fit the new power meter spindle could be a lighter option. Titanium spindles won't work read reliably with strain gauges attached.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com