Speedplay Zero PM coming?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Ordered nanos to test them out. Like the new look, dislike the weight gain over the old Ti versions, and the fact that cleats are the same heavy-AF prone-to-rust contraption. Frankly, for the price, they really need to include some higher quality cleat hardware: stainless or Ti bolts and stainless metal plate and spring. At present, if you buy Ti bolts/hardware for shimano cleats (widely available on ebay), then my scales tell me that "system weight" of Dura Ace is around 30g lower than these new Speedplay nanos. The price of the Speedplays is of course more than double.

I suppose there are aero gains to consider, and I am definitely willing to trade 30g for those, but just not sure if I am willing to also pay that much more money for these aero gains. Lowering stack height and therefore saddle height by 3mm won't do much for me - it's a very, very marginal improvement in comfort, and at least lately, I've had no knee issues with Shimano pedals. I also had an issue with the right pedal disengagement on Speedplay - it seems to be just getting caught on the pedal, and does not want to disengage. No idea what the problem is (pedal or cleat), and am of no mind to tinker to sort it out - for GBP 379, this should work out of the box, and quality control needs to be top notch.

Returning these for now.

gurk700

by gurk700

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:30 pm
I suppose there are aero gains to consider
It's... a pedal. There are no aero gains to consider, despite what the industry might tell you :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

gurk700 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:18 pm
It's... a pedal. There are no aero gains to consider, despite what the industry might tell you :)
Sure there are... because all of us pedal with our shoe flat, positioning the pedal in undisturbed airflow... right?

I have used a lot of different pedal systems in my 35 years of cycling and considered a lot of different things when deciding which qualities I wanted and liked and aero-ness was never one of them.

gurk700

by gurk700

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:41 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Sure there are... because all of us pedal with our shoe flat, positioning the pedal in undisturbed airflow... right?

I have used a lot of different pedal systems in my 35 years of cycling and considered a lot of different things when deciding which qualities I wanted and liked and aero-ness was never one of them.
:lol: The things us road cyclists get hung up on... right?

neeb

by neeb

I have wondered about the market for the aero version of the speedplay pedal. You'd have to be really, really into absolute maximisation of aero gains to sacrifice dual-sided entry for whatever fraction of a watt you'd gain from those..

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:41 pm
gurk700 wrote:

I am not a naive consumer that buys into the hype of whatever just on industry say-so. That said: (1) my pedaling position is quite flat for most of the downstroke, so yes, the pedal is exposed to the wind; and (2) there is a clear reduction in frontal area, as well as an improvement in shape, for Speedplays vs, say, Dura Ace. And at least the savings of their aero walkable cleat over V1 version of the cleat has been tested in the windtunnel by parties unaffiliated with Speedplay. You guys are absolultely free to disregard that, but this is a forum full of folks obsessing over marginal gains, and this is certainly one of those marginal but measurable gains. I do think the difference between aero pedal vs normal speedplay pedal in an aero cleat has to be essentially slim to nonexistent, but even then perhaps worthwhile for competitive time-trialists where fractions of a second matter.

I'll add to this that for people who can utilise the lower Speedplay stack height to lower their seat and then also the frontal position to obtain an overall lower/more aero position on the bike, the aero savings from that alone can be considerable. And yes, 3-5mm change in stack height AND the ability to move the cleat further back on the shoe can do that sometimes, but this will vary from user to user.

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

Assioma internals:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2ATKD-ASSIOMA/4371191.pdf

They are not the same. Also, the Assiomas have two 220mWH batteries and the PowrLinks have two 228mWH batteries, so battery life will be about the same if they have the same efficiency. Of course, efficiency of the electronics may have improved in the last few years.

sennder

by sennder

Any word on cycling dynamics? With Garmin releasing new pedals, Wahoo should probably consider adding cycling dynamics to the speedplay pedals and their GPS computers. Elemnts already have some support of cycling dynamics -like features through the pioneer partnership. Shouldn't be a big undertaking to implement it for cycling dynamics.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

Maybe a bit off-topic, but which cleats are the easiest to walk in (obviously excluding spd). Look, speedplay or spd-sl.
I have only used spd-sl and look and would definitely say, that the spd-sl are easier to walk in.

neeb

by neeb

Haven't used look or spd-sl, but the newer (walkable) speedplays are pretty good. Much better than the old metal ones, which were dangerously slippy on hard, smooth surfaces. The built-in covers will wear down pretty quickly if you are walking a lot in them, but they are quite cheap and easy to replace.

The big problem with walking in speedplay cleats is getting dirt / grit in the mechanisms, so you should never walk on gravel / soil with them unless you have the central screw-in cover fitted.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:06 pm
Maybe a bit off-topic, but which cleats are the easiest to walk in (obviously excluding spd). Look, speedplay or spd-sl.
I have only used spd-sl and look and would definitely say, that the spd-sl are easier to walk in.
SPD-SL, hands down.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Just take of your shoes bro and walk in your socks.
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:59 pm
Just take of your shoes bro and walk in your socks. Image
I never understood why people just don't do this.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Honestly cracks me up people sliding around in shops etc on there cleats
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

neeb wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:13 pm
Haven't used look or spd-sl, but the newer (walkable) speedplays are pretty good. Much better than the old metal ones, which were dangerously slippy on hard, smooth surfaces. The built-in covers will wear down pretty quickly if you are walking a lot in them, but they are quite cheap and easy to replace.

The big problem with walking in speedplay cleats is getting dirt / grit in the mechanisms, so you should never walk on gravel / soil with them unless you have the central screw-in cover fitted.
I just use the cheapo snap on plastic covers you can walk on. Keeps the cleats clean while having a grip on slick surfaces.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc