Speedplay Zero PM coming?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kazyole

by Kazyole

Posted briefly by our favorite retired cyclist before being pulled down.

If 222g for a stainless spindle is correct, that's only ~16g heavier than a standard stainless set of zeros.

Time to toss my SRM maybe?

EDIT: Speedplay are teasing it as well. March 16th it looks like:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMCsfQmlNyH ... _copy_link

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

citrusparty

by citrusparty

I'm not seeing any indication that they're power pedals

Sent from my moto g(8) using Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

They really going to integrate it into the pedal body? Not sure about that on the Zero ...

If it is, I hope this brings a change to PM pedal pricing ...

Kazyole

by Kazyole

citrusparty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 pm

True. But I mean what else could it be? They were acquired by wahoo in 2019? Wahoo has experience in the PM game in their trainers. To release a new pedal that's heavier than a standard zero after that length of time and not have it do anything new would be a mind bogglingly terrible move.

This is also a pack that was sent to a sponsored rider pre-launch, so also possible it's not representative of the final consumer packaging.

citrusparty

by citrusparty

RDY wrote:They really going to integrate it into the pedal body? Not sure about that on the Zero ...

I'm not sure how they'll make pm pedals drop in price? Speedplay were already a premium product and wahoo isn't a budget brand either. Doubt that they'll be cheaper than favero (if they're power pedals)

citrusparty

by citrusparty

Kazyole wrote:
citrusparty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 pm

True. But I mean what else could it be? They were acquired by wahoo in 2019? Wahoo has experience in the PM game in their trainers. To release a new pedal that's heavier than a standard zero after that length of time and not have it do anything new would be a mind bogglingly terrible move.

This is also a pack that was sent to a sponsored rider pre-launch, so also possible it's not representative of the final consumer packaging.
Good points

RDY

by RDY

citrusparty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:04 pm
RDY wrote:They really going to integrate it into the pedal body? Not sure about that on the Zero ...

I'm not sure how they'll make pm pedals drop in price? Speedplay were already a premium product and wahoo isn't a budget brand either. Doubt that they'll be cheaper than favero (if they're power pedals)

Wahoo don't compete at the top of pricing in either trainers or head units, and by far their most popular stuff is mid or low in their ranges. They've aggressively gone after market share ... given the price of PMs, and PM pedals particularly, they have an opportunity.

I've never seen much premium about Speedplay quality ... they were just run and produced like a cottage industry, and the price reflected it.

Plus, competition.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kazyole wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm

There is no way those are power meter pedals. Battery, radio, strain gauges, etc. would all have to be interior to the spindle. Also no indication on the packaging.

It does raise the possibility that perhaps Wahoo's approach to power meter pedals may not be the pedals themselves, but maybe a plate in between the cleat and shoe.

kode54

by kode54

Its probably a new design post Speedplay acquisition by Wahoo. Maybe explains the shortages of Zero parts worldwide.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Kazyole

by Kazyole

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:27 pm
Kazyole wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm

There is no way those are power meter pedals. Battery, radio, strain gauges, etc. would all have to be interior to the spindle. Also no indication on the packaging.

It does raise the possibility that perhaps Wahoo's approach to power meter pedals may not be the pedals themselves, but maybe a plate in between the cleat and shoe.
I guess we'll find out on the 16th. Coming as late as they are into the power pedal game, I would think they'd need to pull something rather spectacular (or be priced very well) to pull marketshare. I mean they'll get upgrades from people who already like/ride speedplay, but I assume that's not enough for wahoo.

The idea that some of it could be housed in the cleat is interesting. The Zeros after all are kind of the opposite of most pedals, with most of the functional bits being in the cleat. I would assume at least some of it is housed in the pedal body though. Otherwise why the increase in claimed weight vs the current models? Interesting also that the 'bowties' are gone in favor of a design with metal that completely encircles the top of the pedal body.

Very curious to see what they announce.

If I take it for now at face value, assume these are power pedals, and assume there would be a nanogram version that'll similarly be 16g heavier than the current model, switching down from an SRM origin to Claviculas and adding these would be a ~200g savings? Not insignificant.

gSporco

by gSporco

All I know is, Wahoo better make these backwards compatible with the Zeros/Aero and/ or offer the parts back to the market.. Its getting hard to source these days...
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thought about buying a new pair of 4 bolts shoes.
If they put power meter in the cleats and base plate for 3 bolts shoes (because there is more space there than cleats without base plate for 4 bolts shoes). Then I'd be screwed by buying 4 bolts shoes. Hope that is not the case.
Perhaps I should wait a bit before ordering my shoes.

Aeo

by Aeo

Who wants to walk around on their power meters?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Not sure how this is connected to power meters. They are clearly just pedals without power, just a refreshed Zero now that Wahoo own them. Where's any reference to power in that photo? There is none.

cajer

by cajer

The owner of the slow twitch forum seemed to imply they were power meter pedals with interchangeable pedal axles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com