Which Gelu saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

After starting the thread, I took the plunge and ordered it. Should be here in a fortnight or so, will report back then on the fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nunokas

by nunokas

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm
After starting the thread, I took the plunge and ordered it. Should be here in a fortnight or so, will report back then on the fit.

I love my S1 but cannot speak for the K3.

damond

by damond

Jwoodward wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:49 pm
Anyone else with similar experiences like Mike?
I have 2 K3 saddles. More than 20k km on them and no issues at all. 74kg rider.

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

Kayrehn wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm

Did you receive it yet? I've ordered one as well.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Haven't put in a reply here yet because I am doing my first proper ride on it this coming Saturday. Did 2 very short spin to my LBS last week and yesterday to dial in the saddle tilt, needed their pricy Effetto Mariposa torque wrench to tighten up the Darimo loops (2.5nm and I don't trust my own wrench at that range).

I actually rode it without padded shorts for a short while once and 1) the pressure relief channel seems too wide and 2) the sharp edges of the channel was very much felt because it tapers down sharply compared to my Berk Lukna.
ImageImage
But with bibs on, it wasn't bad at all, and I can't really tell the difference. If I think about it yes my butt can sense the difference in shape but from the previous short spin I feel I'm perched at the sweet spot where both my ass and my shoulders are happy so it's not uncomfortable at all. I'll see if my body parts disagree with that initial assessment after 80-90km out this Saturday Image

Jwoodward

by Jwoodward

Cheers for the update, looks and sounds promising!

da123

by da123

I've tried the F3 (crazy looking one with the leaf spring) and the E3 (wider nose). The F3 is very flexy in pretty much every direction and does a great job absorbing gravel trail chatter and even bigger hits. Unfortunately after hitting a (quite big) bump on a canal towpath it cracked. It is currently back with r2 bike to see what they say, but it is specifically stated to be okay for gravel. The E3 is proving comfortable so far. Main seating area is similar in dimensions and profile to my Schmolke TLO (Gelu make the Schmolke saddles I believe). The nose is wider and the saddle is slightly shorter. It has more flex in the wings than the Schmolke. I got the E3 because the design and position of the rails means you can create quite a bit of set back with an in-line post (there is a lot of adjustment available). In comparison to my various Berk Lupinas, the build quality is noticeably better.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Has anyone tried Gelu Saddle and Seatpost combo? It looks pretty uncomfortable but man it's light!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Kayrehn wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:32 am
Haven't put in a reply here yet because I am doing my first proper ride on it this coming Saturday. Did 2 very short spin to my LBS last week and yesterday to dial in the saddle tilt, needed their pricy Effetto Mariposa torque wrench to tighten up the Darimo loops (2.5nm and I don't trust my own wrench at that range).

I actually rode it without padded shorts for a short while once and 1) the pressure relief channel seems too wide and 2) the sharp edges of the channel was very much felt because it tapers down sharply compared to my Berk Lukna.
ImageImage
But with bibs on, it wasn't bad at all, and I can't really tell the difference. If I think about it yes my butt can sense the difference in shape but from the previous short spin I feel I'm perched at the sweet spot where both my ass and my shoulders are happy so it's not uncomfortable at all. I'll see if my body parts disagree with that initial assessment after 80-90km out this Saturday Image
They have all the same issue for me. Channel too wide at the sitbones where you don't need the space. The result is that you sit on the reinforced edges. I tried them indoor and needed to get it the bike after 15min. Never had so much pain from a saddle 😂 if the ever produce a saddle with some smaller gap around the sitbones and are flat I will look back otherwise I can't be bothered.
I have the gelu seatpost and that's very nice though

mrlobber

by mrlobber

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:46 pm
Has anyone tried Gelu Saddle and Seatpost combo? It looks pretty uncomfortable but man it's light!
I have one, but since I received it right in the middle of the winter, not ridden it yet.
I have the Gelu F1 as well, which fit me pretty well (given I did Haute Route on it), and Anghel specifically said the combo K shape was the one they derived the F shape from, so looking forward to sitting on it.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

The shape looks good, but it looks less compliant with the saddle seating directly on the seatpost. The seatpost should not flex. as much as saddle rails would.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Absolutely agree on that, that's my biggest point of concern here.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Done a few rides on my 50g K3+ and I'm still undecided.

It's very comfy but it's SMALL, this is where the majority of weight saving comes from, simply smaller thus less carbon / material.

Not sure if it would be my pic for long days in the saddle, since you can't move around on it much due to being so short. My Berk's (Dila & Lupina) are longer and offer variable positions for when you need to shift yourslef around.

Surprisingly, the K3+ is very comfy in an aggressive (sat on nose) position, so I will definitely be using it for road bike TTs and hot laps of my local park.
Attachments
6AD9D9DA-6C31-4EAE-A154-25D699163C84.jpeg
53A0AE48-89E0-48B8-A2BA-4D034A21EC97.jpeg
80D1D498-8BD0-472D-9729-8AF03B174F95.jpeg
5864679F-FE87-44E4-BCEF-C6D323D5D740.jpeg
0378969F-6797-4662-8E08-8EDD53E5F8C5.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Lucendi

by Lucendi

ryanw wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:10 pm
It's very comfy but it's SMALL, this is where the majority of weight saving comes from, simply smaller thus less carbon / material.
I was kind of surprised by how small my Gelu K-1 saddle was at first.

Here's a size comparison of the Gelu K-1 and a Berk Lupina (143 mm);

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

I've owned both the E-3 and the F-3 Gelu saddles. Very impressed with both. The leaf spring design on the F-3 really does work in terms of shock absorption. I used it on my gravel bike very happily. Unfortunately, a big hit cracked the shell, and the saddle is approved for gravel use (I got a refund under warranty). I'd suggest that it would work very well as a comfortable road saddle however - the hit wasn't something you'd experience on the road. I currently have the E-3 on my Tarmac and Canyon road bikes. Although is is quite short, the rails are long which provides a lot of fore/aft adjustment (unlike the K series). It is wider on the nose than the K series, which I find makes it good for aggressive 'on the nose' riding. The width (126mm) suits me, although I do have narrow sit bones. Weight is 53g. In comparison to Berk, the quality is far superior. It is basically the same as Schmolke (which Gelu makes I believe).