Oval chain rings experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milanv

by milanv

Last edited by milanv on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

Dropping chain is based on bad adjusting of front derailleur.
Shifting in combination small oval and big round is practically the same as on round Shimano, it is impossible to feel the difference between Absolute Black oval and Shimano round small chainrings, small difference you can feel between Absolute Black and Rotor Qrings...

I have used only ovals for 5.000 kms and above combination in another bike for 1.000 kms, happy with this...

Neocat

by Neocat

I guess focusing on having stronger legs and getting fitter (and lighter) trumps oval. But the option is there and quite viable. Very insightful, good thread this. Thanks.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

I've been running oval for about a decade now. I really like the AB rings, and I shift fine with a 53/39. Its not as good as shimano, but its not bad either. My experience with them is I don't really notice any effect versus round when riding on the flats or grinding a long climb. Where I notice them, and why I keep them, is on short sprint hills. It just feels better when I'm out of the saddle and putting my foot on the gas.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

same here. 6 years on ovals, also with switches to normal rings from time to time.
I don´t see a "performance" increase, but like the way they feel. I run AB also on the TT bike, as the way i handle pain works better with the input sensation from ovals than with round rings. I can handle the "stomp-stomp" sensation from the ovals metally better than the sensation i get from round rings (witch feel more constant hard to me throuought the rotation).

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have been on ovals, q rings on road, AB and Sram on mtb, for probably 10 years for the sake of my knees. Shifting is fine but i guess i instinctively shifting up and down at a certain time in the crank cycle out of instinct now. I don't know of any performance benefit but certainly on road i think being able to adjust the clocking helps. On my TT bike, where i run a very aggressive position i switched from ocp3, which is the clocking almost all oval manufacturers would take as their clocking, to ocp5 on q rings and had huge improvements in power/speed/fatigue. Ocp5 times the largest part of the gear later in the pedal rotation. Ie from 4 to 5 o'clock. Given changes in pelvic tilt this makes sense to me as angle of attack changes significantly.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;