The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

From Time's email, in case anyone wanted to see the other frame colours.

Last edited by EvilEuro on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:28 am
https://www.timebicycles.com/products/adhx

Give me the brown/gold one!
The amber and gold reminds me of Calfee's old translucent root beer paint job.

The blue one is my favourite of this bunch. I actually like that all of the paint jobs on the ADHX are tinted gloss which don't cover up the weave work of the frame. Wish they'd do the same on the rest of their frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Time does make a beautiful bike. Needs Berd wheels :D
Last edited by smartyiak on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

jlok wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:07 pm
Not sure why Dyneema is a big deal and they even didn't disclose how it's been utilized. The geo has been "relaxed" like longer front and rear center, lower BB, etc. Not a fan of the cable routing that goes through the headset bearing. Beautiful bike as always.
https://www.timebicycles.com/pages/dyneema

The only exciting thing for me is the use of Dyneema (already widely used in climbing gears; they are also used to make giant container ships' mooring line so that's how strong it is), and the tinted paint job that still showcases the weave underneath. Hope at least they invest in next-gen Scylon's R&D and deliver an actual new frame under new UCI rules..

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I'm surprised by the cost of the new ADHX. Their website is showing a price of $3,799 USD in any of the painted schemes and $3,599 USD if you get it bare in their "ready to paint" option. Those are very good prices for frame and fork.

The price on the new ADHX is also lower than the cost of the current Alpe d'Huez 01 ($4,399), Skylon ($4,999), and not too much above the Alpe d'Huez 21 ($3,299). All prices are USD for disc brake and fork.

I don't know how that compares to other gravel frames out there but that appears to be a pretty good value.

jlok

by jlok

Llanberis wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:53 pm
jlok wrote:
Not sure why Dyneema is a big deal and they even didn't disclose how it's been utilized. The geo has been "relaxed" like longer front and rear center, lower BB, etc. Not a fan of the cable routing that goes through the headset bearing. Beautiful bike as always.

The only exciting thing for me is the use of Dyneema (already widely used in climbing gears; they are also used to make giant container ships' mooring line so that's how strong it is), and the tinted paint job that still showcases the weave underneath. Hope at least they invest in next-gen Scylon's R&D and deliver an actual new frame under new UCI rules..
I love the look of Time frames. If I buy one I'd choose the black on carbon or red on carbon scheme.

As for Dyneema, in that press release or in the product page, it's marketing to me. There is no mention of how much / where it is utilized and how much weight is saved against using other types of fiber for the same strength. After all, it is not new because Time has been able to blend different types of fiber.

I don't race so a frame under UCI rule may actually limits what Time could do for us non-racer... (and no I don't want a tri rig either ;). I hope Time could stay away from sponsoring UCI teams (I see that as a tax) as well so the frames could be made cheaper.

Finally, bicycle frame is already mature, so if a design is already great, it should be very difficult to improve. When a manufacturer is able to churn out new design in less than 5 years, it may mean the previous product is not too great really.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

RDY

by RDY

As already explained, kevlar / dyneema are for strength and fatigue / failure resistance. They possess properties that carbon does not. Though it depends to a large extent on the properties of the weave and resin, it has the potential to be better at shock absorption than pure carbon / resin too.

Re: UCI certification. No brand of any significance is not going to abide by UCI aero rules. Even if the new TIME owners pull back on team sponsorship aspirations, privateers who buy their frames and race in races which use UCI rules would not be happy if they weren't certified. Besides, new UCI rules do give a lot of leeway.

And the Scylon is, what, 7 years old now? Pretty sure they can do something more aero, lighter, with better tire clearance to boot now.
Last edited by RDY on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

In additional to strength, bio-dyneema is also a more eco-friendly material than carbonfiber. I think this is also one of the biggest reasons to blend 20-25 % weight bio-dyneema by weight on their carbon tubes.

Compared to other generic HMPE fibers, bio-based Dyneema® emits 29 tonnes less CO2 per metric ton of fiber produced. This is the equivalent CO2 released by charging 3.7 million smartphones, or the amount of CO2 absorbed by growing 480 tree seedlings for 10 years.

Aeo

by Aeo

BB386EVO?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

JayDee81

by JayDee81

EvilEuro wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:24 pm
Wish they'd do the same on the rest of their frames.
Exactly! I want to buy their frame, but don't want to spend too much, so would probably go for the AdH 21, but the new color scheme is a must!

Llanberis

by Llanberis

jlok wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:42 am
Llanberis wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:53 pm
jlok wrote:

I love the look of Time frames. If I buy one I'd choose the black on carbon or red on carbon scheme.

As for Dyneema, in that press release or in the product page, it's marketing to me. There is no mention of how much / where it is utilized and how much weight is saved against using other types of fiber for the same strength. After all, it is not new because Time has been able to blend different types of fiber.

I don't race so a frame under UCI rule may actually limits what Time could do for us non-racer... (and no I don't want a tri rig either ;). I hope Time could stay away from sponsoring UCI teams (I see that as a tax) as well so the frames could be made cheaper.

Finally, bicycle frame is already mature, so if a design is already great, it should be very difficult to improve. When a manufacturer is able to churn out new design in less than 5 years, it may mean the previous product is not too great really.
They did sort of mention it in that link, but I agree they should provide more nerdy details for those interested (myself included). Though interestingly, the weave pattern of sample image shown here seems to be different from their 3D animation.

"Bio-Based Dyneema® appears in the woven BCS sock at the intersections of the headtube, downtube and toptubes. These BCS braids utilize 20-25% Bio-Based Dyneema® by weight."

RDY's reply said it better than I do; additionally, I'm also glad to see the eco benefit Dyneema brings (on top of already cleaner RTM production) as Kumppa pointed out. The impact on production waste might not be as dramatic as they claimed, but it looks like a right path they are heading towards to if this can be further developed and utilised across their range.
Attachments
A6A98A5A-6D2F-4E8D-9707-CC64181AD9F3.jpeg

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Contender has really been standing by Time throughtout the times:

https://contenderbicycles.com/blogs/blo ... %20clicked

Enjoyed reading the history bit. :)

AJS914

by AJS914

The translucent paint jobs are stunning.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

RDY wrote:As already explained, kevlar / dyneema are for strength and fatigue / failure resistance. They possess properties that carbon does not. Though it depends to a large extent on the properties of the weave and resin, it has the potential to be better at shock absorption than pure carbon / resin too.
I used to play an obscure sport called canoe polo where we whack polo balls while kayaking around in a pool. Paddles made with a blend of dyneema and carbon are absolutely necessary for the goalkeeper to absorb the force of blocking shots with the paddle blade. Blocking shots with a pure carbon paddle can make you feel like your shoulders are gonna fall out of its socket, give you the funny bone tingle, or even led to goals when the paddle gets slammed into the goal along with the ball. In short, this is definitely not marketing talk and should result in noticeably smoother rides from the shock absorption.

And yes the colour-tinged naked carbon 1k(?) weave looks amazing!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:35 am
The translucent paint jobs are stunning.

This photo shows only hydraulic hoses on Campag ... could just be product photos ... or ....?