The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

As long as it's not a TT frame I'm very much looking forward to this!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

RDY

by RDY

The one they've supposedly been working on longest is gravel, and it's difficult to imagine them replacing the ADH and Skylon just a few weeks after new paint jobs (think they'll be properly modernised next year). So yeah, I'd guess gravel unless it's a full aero bike rather than semi-aero per Skylon.

Though video indicates that there will be new model*s* in the very near future. So possibly both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

Anybody know how can I buy a Time frameset in the U.K.? I can see Bellati sport list them but I think this is a Swiss company and not sure how it'd be to import one.

Do the framesets come with the special stem, seatpost, bars etc?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

jih wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:35 pm
Anybody know how can I buy a Time frameset in the U.K.? I can see Bellati sport list them but I think this is a Swiss company and not sure how it'd be to import one.

Do the framesets come with the special stem, seatpost, bars etc?
I am pretty sure Athelte Service in Henley.. speak to Rob
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Or try The Gorilla Firm in Oundle; I've never dealt with them but have seen their Time build on their website.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

RDY wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:13 am
The one they've supposedly been working on longest is gravel, and it's difficult to imagine them replacing the ADH and Skylon just a few weeks after new paint jobs (think they'll be properly modernised next year). So yeah, I'd guess gravel unless it's a full aero bike rather than semi-aero per Skylon.

Though video indicates that there will be new model*s* in the very near future. So possibly both.
So here's a question that relates to the whole of the bike industry, but I'm going to keep it to just a discussion of Time since this is a Time thread.

Exactly how many different frames does a company need to have out there and how often do they need to update them?

I'm asking this because of the video that was linked in this thread earlier. It implied, but didn't directly state, that the next Time bike would be a gravel frame. This makes sense since Time doesn't have one presently. They could probably use a new time trial frame too because they don't really have one right now.

But other than that, if you're covered in other aspects, does a company really need to release a new frame just for the sake of releasing a new frame? If the Alpe d'Huez meets all of the current trends in that it can be rim or disc brake, has a high end model in the 01 and a less expensive model in the 21, can take wider tires (28mm+), and is exceptionally well-made... why should Time release a new model of the same thing other than to say it's new? The gentleman in the Time video kind of said that in so many words when he mentioned that the Alpe is a couple of years old but still in high demand because it's a quality frame, i.e., we're not releasing a new version of this anytime soon.

Time has the "lighter frame"/climbing bike covered with the two Alpe frames (and the 21 is a great value), they have the "comfort" market covered with the Fluidity, and has an aero bike (which could probably use an update) in the Scylon. All of them are good bikes/frames and all cover what I would call "current standards" with the exception of integrated front cabling.

If Time releases a gravel frame, do they need to release something new for the other frames? Or are they good the way they are? From a frame technology standpoint, is there something they should be doing that they aren't already?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There's not one business model that fits all name brands.

Time isn't as popular as it once was, so they probably do need to expand their portfolio to include trendier bikes. They need to justify owning their own tooling and factories and a couple of road bike frames isn't cutting it. They could massively downsize, cut most of their workforce and focus on being a tiny boutique brand with in-house manufacturing. They could outsource production to overseas factories like everyone else. Soon China won't even be cheap enough labor compared to Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

Direct to consumer sale coming? Can't put a frameset in the basket yet though, no price shown either.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-09 at 10.08.05.png

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Llanberis wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:27 am
Direct to consumer sale coming? Can't put a frameset in the basket yet though, no price shown either.
Definitely don't see that on the US site right now. I can look through things and make selection options, but don't get the image you saw at all.

Would be nice if the pricing is good or better than dealing with brick and mortar. Though I will say that I'd be more than happy to deal with either Contender Bikes or Glory Cycles for an online purchase. Or my local brick and mortar (Velo Pasadena) to support a local shop with a long history as a Time dealer and great service to boot.

dialtone

by dialtone

I've just bought a frame directly from Time in the US. I think if you don't have any alternative around you they will work with you and sell you the bike directly. Prices IIRC are $4499 for Scylon, $4199 for Alpe D'Huez 01. 6-8 weeks wait time to get the frame if it's not in stock so I think they must be maxing out production a bit. I'm receiving my Alpe d'Huez rim brake tomorrow anyway, sadly new Ultegra is the laggard for my build.

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

EvilEuro wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:44 am

Exactly how many different frames does a company need to have out there and how often do they need to update them?
If Time releases a gravel frame, do they need to release something new for the other frames? Or are they good the way they are? From a frame technology standpoint, is there something they should be doing that they aren't already?
Unfortunately, in todays market you have to release a new frame every three years to stay competetive - it doesnt matter if the actual technology and performance has changed, but similarly to 50s and 60s american cars, the styling, trend and marketing needs to match the current trends or poeple will ignore your product.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Agreed. New paint can only keep the consumer happy for so long.

Time only have 2 frames now; the ADH (in 2 types of carbon) and Scylon.

No Fluidity anymore, so certainly a gap for: TT, Endurance and to jump on the gravel bandwagon
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Llanberis

by Llanberis

The thing is, new model or not, if I were to be given a frame and the choices are a 3-year-old entry level Ad'H 21 and dozens other MY21 frames that are priced 3 times higher, I'd pick Time any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Considering the frame quality, the price of a Time frame is absolutely unreal at the moment (I've seen Ad'H 21 frameset discounted to about £1,600), and they all come with BB386 shell. No need for T47 here because Time have no problem making the shell aligned and round..

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Llanberis wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:43 pm
The thing is, new model or not, if I were to be given a frame and the choices are a 3-year-old entry level Ad'H 21 and dozens other MY21 frames that are priced 3 times higher, I'd pick Time any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Considering the frame quality, the price of a Time frame is absolutely unreal at the moment (I've seen Ad'H 21 frameset discounted to about £1,600), and they all come with BB386 shell. No need for T47 here because Time have no problem making the shell aligned and round..
How does the Ad'H 21 compare to the 01? I've seen various things about stiffness, etc., but in terms of objective weight and subjective ride/stiffness quality, I don't see a whole lot. The geometry appears the same, so handling should be pretty much identical.

Llanberis

by Llanberis

@CyclingGiraffe - perhaps this comment could offer some insights:

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=146096&p=1660370& ... 1#p1660370

I've only tested both of them on hilly terrains, but I imagine a big mountain race is where 01's extra stiffness would come into play and introduce more pronounced handling difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com