The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

conradhughes

by conradhughes

Looks like Time have one more day to announce their new range if they're still announcing in October lol
I'm on the fence between an Argon 18 Sum Pro, which would arrive in March, or seeing when the new Scylon might be able to be manufactured by. Unsure if anyone knows roughly what they're looking at for lead times on the new stuff?
Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

If i had the cash in the bank I think id hold out for a time.. I'm always blown away by how good they look in person

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

conradhughes

by conradhughes

Yeah, there's an ADH 21 in my LBS, absolutely beautiful object. I think the frames might end up coming in about the same price, to be honest. Sum Pro is 3.5k, Scylon hopefully around the same. We shall see. I think something like a Time is a lifetime purchase. Maybe a 40th birthday present for myself instead, in 6 years time :D

RDY

by RDY

I think a new Scylon will be much, much more than 3.5k given price rises on the other frames. I'd be surprised if it's below 5.5k, and wouldn't be surprised if it's well above 6.
Last edited by RDY on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conradhughes

by conradhughes

Sheesh! That's crazy money. But I guess it makes sense. We'll see, hard to know until they announce.

RDY

by RDY

I suspect capital to increase production won't be very forthcoming, though I hope to be wrong. And with the 'Hambini effect' having them sell as many frames as they can build for the first time in many years, I suspect the new owners will be very keen to profit maximize. Much easier path to 'success' than investment, expansion and trying to keep prices somewhat sensible. Especially given that total crap is routinely being sold for 5-7k a piece these days. TIME certainly don't produce crap product. Even so 5-7k would still be ludicrous even if they are the best mass-produced frames on the market. As has been said many times, that's nice motorbike territory. It's just that high end bikes are bit like designer handbags these days ... majority of owners quite similar too.

JasonFly

by JasonFly

RDY wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:38 am
I think a new Scylon will be much, much more than 3.5k given price rises on the other frames. I'd be surprised if it's below 5.5k, and wouldn't be surprised if it's well above 6.
I am not sure this will be the case.
There are of course very expensive frames out there, but since in 2022 Scylon was retailing at 4.500€ (now 4.800€) I think the new version will be priced around 5.000-5.500€ (+10/20%).

TIME is a very niche brand, almost unknown to the masses.
Let's not forget that they are not sponsoring a WT team and that their marketing budget is irrelevant if compared to the biggest brands.
Their product range is limited and the models are now old.
Unless they radically change their lineup, how can they justify a super premium pricing?

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think TIME will go down the hyperbike rabbit hole...

I hope they will simply refresh a little bit the current models (internal routing, biggest tire clearance...), in my opinion not enough to justify a radically different pricing.

RDY

by RDY

They're selling out their production easily now, and no sign yet that new owners have invested in greater capacity. That alone is justification.

They don't need much marketing or to sponsor anyone, when a significant minority are acutely aware that they're the only game in town in terms of very high quality mass produced framesets. It shouldn't be the case, but it is. When I mention the Hambini effect, I don't mean disciples of his just take him at his word and buy TIME, but that aside from being aware TIME do offer better quality, there is growing realization about how cheap and nasty most stuff is, despite the enormous price tags. He, Raoul and a few others have hugely increased awareness of this in a small segment of the cycling community.

Yeah there's no chance they'll sell 25k units without millions on advertising, buying reviews, influencers and sponsoring teams. But at the 3-3.5k units which I think was previously their capacity, or up to as much as 10k units, I don't think they'll have to do much as long as they maintain their reputation for quality. When the competition is a brand with a price tag and no build quality, you only need 0.5% of the market to be cognisant of that to easily sell out your production and pick your price.

You're disagreeing with me and yet saying 5-5.5k. Ok .. but that's not a big difference to over 5.5k ...

steveadore

by steveadore

Does anyone what the max. tire width an older (2016), rim brake model Fluidity will take w/out rubbing issues? I recall early reviews back around 2013 were complaining that clearance was only good for 23mm tires, and the most recent (2020-21) Fluidity model was claimed to accommodate 28mm (real, measured width) tires, but I cannot really find any information about 2016 (I have no idea when the Fluidity was updated, but the model I have in mind still had BB30, not BB386)

Gern

by Gern

steveadore wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:06 pm
Does anyone what the max. tire width an older (2016), rim brake model Fluidity will take w/out rubbing issues? I recall early reviews back around 2013 were complaining that clearance was only good for 23mm tires, and the most recent (2020-21) Fluidity model was claimed to accommodate 28mm (real, measured width) tires, but I cannot really find any information about 2016 (I have no idea when the Fluidity was updated, but the model I have in mind still had BB30, not BB386)
I have a 2015 Fluidity, and 25mm is the max I can fit. I run Vittoria Open Corsa clinchers on Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40's. I had some Michelin Lithion 25's laying around, when I bought the bike in 2015, and they rubbed the brake bridge.

steveadore

by steveadore

Gern wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:45 pm
steveadore wrote:
I have a 2015 Fluidity, and 25mm is the max I can fit. I run Vittoria Open Corsa clinchers on Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40's. I had some Michelin Lithion 25's laying around, when I bought the bike in 2015, and they rubbed the brake bridge.
Thanks! Hm, I currently still have some GP4000SII 25mm clinchers on 17c rims, and those tires actually measure sth. like 27.5 mm effective width. On my current bike, there's 2.5-3mm clearance between those tires and the chain stays at the narrowest (also at least 2.5 mm clearance from the top of the rear brake bridge). I will soon upgrade to GP5000 25mm clinchers, which I understand, run a bit smaller than the equivalent GP4000, but then they might still be too big for the Fluidity? :(
Last edited by steveadore on Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveadore

by steveadore

Gern wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:45 pm
steveadore wrote:
Thanks! I run 25mm GP4000SII clinchers on 17c rims, and they actually measure 27.6 mm wide. There's at least 2.5 mm clearance from the narrowest part of the chain stays and the brake bridge on my current bike, and never had any rubbing issues. And I'm planning to switch to 25mm GP5000s soon, which I understand run a bit smaller. But I wonder if there might still be issues with the Fluidity 2016 :( Sorry for the double post

JasonFly

by JasonFly

RDY wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:11 pm
They're selling out their production easily now, and no sign yet that new owners have invested in greater capacity. That alone is justification.
Yes, they are this year, but in 2023?
Whit this level of inflation and the looming economic crisis, can they afford to increase the prices by more than +20%?
I am not so sure the answer is "yes"...

Discalimer: I am aware that maybe this is just my wishful thinking, because I'd really like to change bike in 2023 and I am love with their raw carbon finishing :mrgreen:

Your points are valid, I just hope you are wrong!

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

steveadore wrote:
I have a 2014 Fluidity and I presently run 25mm Continental GP5000 Tubeless tyres on them. It's a close fit and definitely could not take a larger size.

I previously had tried a set of Schwalbe Pro 1 25mm years ago. Those balloons caused a rub on the inside of the crown of the front fork. Never used them again.

Newer models will definitely clear larger tyre sizes. I look forward to riding 28's when I eventually pull the trigger and get an AdH 01 when they're available again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathemagician

by mathemagician

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
mathemagician wrote:Damn...I really lucked out with my frame purchase- think it was £1700 unpainted, in February!

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk
Was that for the 01 (top model not the 21)

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late response, that was for the 21. I think the 01 was around £2700 unpainted.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk