The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

When bike mfgs need to write an entire white paper based on windyunnel to justify the aero gain, you know it's not possible to translate it to real-world situation. Test ride each bike, see which ride the nicest, and looks best, pick that one and I'm sure it would be the fastest bike you could get ;)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biwa

by biwa

Hey guys, do you know if the Alpe Huez 01 models still made in France? If not, when did the transition (to somewhere in Eastern Europe?) happen?

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I think Rossignol moved all carbon manufacturing to Slovakia in 2019. Atleast 2018 AdH frames are still made in France.

Quality should be same since machines and techniques are the same.

RDY

by RDY

spib wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm
How relevant is a scylon in 2022 compared to other aero bikes? It happens to work for me perfectly geometrically and is definitely a beautiful frame but it is an older design and has likely not spent the same amount of time in the wind tunnel as something like an aeroad or s5. I would probably be racing it so I do care about these marginal gains.
I'm not sure it ever was top tier aero wise. Even 10 or 11 years ago when it debuted. If you want a high quality product which is more aero than a climbing bike, it's a good option. But if your main criteria is aero, it's not really worth considering.

We'll see what happens to it when it gets replaced or remade ... I'm not that confident. I suspect it may just be an update to internal / semi-internal cable integration, wider tire clearance on the disc version, and the new bio-dyneema layup. They're way behind the launch cadence that was mentioned at that French event in the autumn last year. I suspect both investing in new products and potentially expanding production has been more difficult and costly than the new owners had legislated for. It seems more likely to me that they won't produce a new gen aero bike for quite a while. Though I'd love to be wrong.

steveadore

by steveadore

Rumor has it that there will be a new Fluidity model too (probably disc-only).

RDY

by RDY

steveadore wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:45 pm
Rumor has it that there will be a new Fluidity model too (probably disc-only).
Is it really worth it when Scylon / AdH / AdX are all relatively high stack already? I thought that was the main reason it got canned.

steveadore

by steveadore

"relatively": none of those is actually a true endurance geometry like the Fluidity (for which there is demand, according to Time customer service, that's why they will probably reintroduce it)

biwa

by biwa

Kumppa wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:05 am
I think Rossignol moved all carbon manufacturing to Slovakia in 2019. Atleast 2018 AdH frames are still made in France.

Thanks. What about the skill transfer? I'd assume almost all workers in the new factory are local and new to Time techniques/machines?

Llanberis

by Llanberis

@biwa:

Perhaps this would address your concern:

RDY

by RDY

biwa wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:47 am
Kumppa wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:05 am

Thanks. What about the skill transfer? I'd assume almost all workers in the new factory are local and new to Time techniques/machines?
Over 3 years now. Also I'd imagine it's better in SK than FR. Skilled workers are more likely to be attracted by the wage which is probably being offered there than that in France (even though it was certainly higher).

biwa

by biwa

Thanks all. That factory video shared by @Llanberis certainly shows the skills!

MiddMan

by MiddMan

As fate would have it I randomly clicked on page 14 of this thread and I'm so, so happy to hear your report about Time Bikes. I'm familiar with their in-house production and I've always believed them to be top frames, but it's always nice to get real-world feedback. I'm also about your height and 205 lbs so I'm equally glad to know how robust Time is. We too often hear about other frames breaking for this or that reason, which is just unacceptable for the price we pay for bikes. Awesome news about the rim brakes too! The only unfortunate thing is a lot of wheel manufactuers seem to have cut back on rim brake production. Campagnolo and Lightweight are two examples that come to mind.

Anyway... That's why I've been lusting after an Alpe d'Huez or Scylon. Even if the latter isn't as "purely" aero as other offerings, it's just beautiful!
velocipedeimp wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:46 pm

No worries on the questions. Happy to help.

So Time uses a BB386 bottom bracket style. I traditionally build with a Wheels Manufacturing Threadfit to avoid noise and to help seal the bearings better from the elements. They are a great, snug fit. I use Finish Line Carbon Paste and i've never had a bike come back from noise or with them loosening up. It's been a great combination. I've also swapped out bearings in these when needed as Wheels doesn't offer Ceramics in certain sizes now. But they have so many shim kits that I can make anything work with them.

Regarding rim vs disc brakes... well, funny story. In the Summer of 2021, originally Time was considering dropping rim brake frames. But the sales for rim vs disc brakes was 57 to 43. So they changed course really quickly. Which is nice they can do that since they make everything in-house. They are not planning on dropping rim brakes given the demand thye've experienced. Disc brake bikes aren't going away but I personally sell more rim than disc bikes, not just with Time but in general. One builder I work with, Bixxis, Doriano DeRosa has been asked numerous times when he is going to do a disc road bike. His reply is always the same... that's what the Fronda (gravel) bike is for. He's not going to make a disc road bike. Up until he passed, Dario Pegoretti had no plans to make a disc road bike.

You wont miss anything getting a Time rim brake bike. I've had Time Bikes since 1996 with the two of the first 3 brought into North America - Helix Equipe HM road and tri frames (the 3rd was too small for me). I own only rim brake bikes from them. I have an ADHX on order just cause, why not? But it will not be my #1 bike by them. I love my VXRS (XL) and other than it needs refinishing, it'll still be my #1 ride from them. Side note: I am 6'3 and 240+. And I have no issues with tracking, flex or any problems with them. They've been fantastic bikes. And my Helix survived a drive into a carport. Ripped the rack off the roof but the bike was perfect.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Anyone have any updates on when Time are supposed to be reintroducing their stems and handlebars to market? I noticed that the complete builds on the Time website are with non-Time cockpit components with the exception of a few of their demo bikes on sale.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Llanberis wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:19 pm
@biwa:

Perhaps this would address your concern:

That is MAGNIFICENT!!! Knowing nothing of mfg, I don't know, from a QC standpoint, if that method is better, worse, or the same as others. But it does make me want a TIME even more. It also makes me wonder why anyone would want anything besides clear-coat...absolutely gorgeous!

Rodigan

by Rodigan

I've just lost my Tarmac SL6 rim brake in a car crash (may she rest in pieces). Lusting after an updated Alpe D'Huez 01 as a replacement. I'll probably buy one either way as I'll need a proper bike when I'm fit enough to race. It would be incredible if they moved to direct mount rim brakes and integrated the Di2 cable with the rear brake cable. I also think their seat tube angles look a bit too slack on the smaller sizes, my Tarmac had a zero offset post with a steeper STA so I'm hoping I can slide my saddle far enough forward to compensate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com