The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Thanks mate!

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Just want your thoughts here. Considering it's going to be difficult to procure DA 12 disc for at least another year or so, I'm looking at a Time Alpe d' Huez with Aktiv fork to replace my Chapter2 Rere. The Rere has direct-mount brakes while the Time has center-mount rim brakes. Figure I already have full DA 9100 Di2 rim brake so the parts are still very good. And I like the simplicity of rim brake for now. Am I missing anything here? Anyone know what BB Time uses? Would a regular BB86 press-fit work?

Even if rim brake frames are mostly considered obsolete at this point, the opportunity to have one of these fine-riding steeds is extremely alluring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

adilosnave wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:13 pm
Just want your thoughts here. Considering it's going to be difficult to procure DA 12 disc for at least another year or so, I'm looking at a Time Alpe d' Huez with Aktiv fork to replace my Chapter2 Rere. The Rere has direct-mount brakes while the Time has center-mount rim brakes. Figure I already have full DA 9100 Di2 rim brake so the parts are still very good. And I like the simplicity of rim brake for now. Am I missing anything here? Anyone know what BB Time uses? Would a regular BB86 press-fit work?

Even if rim brake frames are mostly considered obsolete at this point, the opportunity to have one of these fine-riding steeds is extremely alluring.

No worries on the questions. Happy to help.

So Time uses a BB386 bottom bracket style. I traditionally build with a Wheels Manufacturing Threadfit to avoid noise and to help seal the bearings better from the elements. They are a great, snug fit. I use Finish Line Carbon Paste and i've never had a bike come back from noise or with them loosening up. It's been a great combination. I've also swapped out bearings in these when needed as Wheels doesn't offer Ceramics in certain sizes now. But they have so many shim kits that I can make anything work with them.

Regarding rim vs disc brakes... well, funny story. In the Summer of 2021, originally Time was considering dropping rim brake frames. But the sales for rim vs disc brakes was 57 to 43. So they changed course really quickly. Which is nice they can do that since they make everything in-house. They are not planning on dropping rim brakes given the demand thye've experienced. Disc brake bikes aren't going away but I personally sell more rim than disc bikes, not just with Time but in general. One builder I work with, Bixxis, Doriano DeRosa has been asked numerous times when he is going to do a disc road bike. His reply is always the same... that's what the Fronda (gravel) bike is for. He's not going to make a disc road bike. Up until he passed, Dario Pegoretti had no plans to make a disc road bike.

You wont miss anything getting a Time rim brake bike. I've had Time Bikes since 1996 with the two of the first 3 brought into North America - Helix Equipe HM road and tri frames (the 3rd was too small for me). I own only rim brake bikes from them. I have an ADHX on order just cause, why not? But it will not be my #1 bike by them. I love my VXRS (XL) and other than it needs refinishing, it'll still be my #1 ride from them. Side note: I am 6'3 and 240+. And I have no issues with tracking, flex or any problems with them. They've been fantastic bikes. And my Helix survived a drive into a carport. Ripped the rack off the roof but the bike was perfect.

AJS914

by AJS914

Does anyone know off-hand how wide of a tire fits in an Alpe d'Huez frame rim brake frame? Could a 30mm GP5000 fit? Or, would 28mm be the max?

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Does anyone know off-hand how wide of a tire fits in an Alpe d'Huez frame rim brake frame? Could a 30mm GP5000 fit? Or, would 28mm be the max?

I have fit Continental GP5000 700 x 28c tires on without issue. I do not have any 30c tires to try so I can't give a real answer. But I can say just measuring where the tires 'would' be, the distance is 37mm on the inside of the fork (Disc Aktiv) and 37mm at the top of the seatstays (AdH01 Disc) and 34.5mm at the chainstays (AdH01 Disc). I don't have a rim brake frame here to measure but I can get one (a local guy has one I built up) and measure his stay/fork measurements.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

AJS914 wrote:
Check the latest pages on the gallery thread.

JAZ

by JAZ

AJS914 wrote:
Here's mine with 28mm GP5000s fitted, still a fair bit of clearance.
IMG_20220429_153605.jpg
IMG_20220429_153656.jpg

AJS914

by AJS914

Thanks!

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Double post. Sorry
Last edited by adilosnave on Tue May 03, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Quick question on Alpe d' Huez frame. Can someone measure in millimeters the width of the top-tube right in front of the seat-tube? Seems wide from pictures. I tried a Trek Emonda one time and my inner thigh ever-so-slightly grazed the top-tube on each pedal stroke. That was a hard stop for me.

JAZ

by JAZ

adilosnave wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:32 pm
Quick question on Alpe d' Huez frame. Can someone measure in millimeters the width of the top-tube right in front of the seat-tube? Seems wide from pictures. I tried a Trek Emonda one time and my inner thigh ever-so-slightly grazed the top-tube on each pedal stroke. That was a hard stop for me.
45mm
IMG_20220503_152723.jpg

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Awesome, thanks a million!!

JAZ

by JAZ

No problem, hope it works out for you as it's an amazing frameset. Also bear in mind where the far edge of the ruler is, the rear brake cable exits the frame so that bulges out another 10mm or so.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Time now has a website for the US/UK/Canada/Australia at timebicycles.us

More important though, they are now offering online direct sales to the US via this site. Strangely, they no longer list their stems and handlebars for sale on this site.

Framesets are offered for sale, but also complete builds with options for Campagnolo Record, SRAM Red AXS, and SRAM Force AXS for the Alpe d'Huez 01/21 and Skylon. Wheels are optional and the lone option are HED Vanquish carbon or HED Ardennes alloy wheels.

The ADHX is offered in a framset or in a complete build with Campagnolo Ekar or SRAM Red/Force in 1x and 2x options. Wheels are HED Emporia in either carbon or alloy.

There are also demo bikes for sale for the AdH 01, Skylon, and Fluidity.

They still don't have a fully working dealer locator on their website. It currently only lists the distributor for various regions, i.e., Time Bicycles USA for the US. So good luck finding a local dealer unless you know of one already. For myself that means only one in Los Angeles (Velo Pasadena) unless things have changed. But I wouldn't know because dealers aren't listed yet.

But least the online store is now open for the US.
TimeOnlineShop.jpg
TimeProductsForSale.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

meditationride

by meditationride

was notified by the LBS yesterday my frame is ready to be shipped out as the first batch of ADHXs!