The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MDecius

by MDecius

mathemagician wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:42 pm
I have reached what we call in the construction industry "substantial completion". The bike is now rideable, albeit not finished in its final form. Full specs:
Frame / Fork: Alpe d'Huez 21
Wheels: Light Bicycle AR56, Carbon-Ti X-Hub hub, Sapim CX-Ray spokes
Groupset: Campagnolo Potenza Disc, Rotor Aldhu Q Rings Chainset, Hambini BBB38EVO Bottom Bracket
Stem: Currently whatever Canyon stem was on my Canyon, to be replaced.
Bars: Zipp Service Course Aluminium - also straight from the Canyon, also to be replaced
Seatpost: Roval Alpinist
Saddle: Astute Skylite

Just quickly weighed it...wasn't holding it steady enough for the scales to settle but looked to be hovering around 8.1kg- that was with pedals, GPS mount and actually the GPS too since it was on there.

Bars, stem and while I'm at it bar tape will be replaced in the coming weeks, the orange will be replaced by a pink / black fade which will match the bike a bit better. But for now it rides at least!
Hello,
Quick question for you about the Hambini BB installation on your ADH21. Did you have any problems with the rear brake hoses and clearance when pushing the BB into the frame? As an example, I am talking about something like this video.

I am trying to find a bottom bracket that is both well manufactured and can be serviced easily over its lifetime, because I don't want any long term issues with the ADH01 I'm currently building. It seems BBs like Hambini, BBinfinite, and Wheels mfg fit the bill for that.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

mathemagician

by mathemagician

MDecius wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:30 am
Hello,
Quick question for you about the Hambini BB installation on your ADH21. Did you have any problems with the rear brake hoses and clearance when pushing the BB into the frame? As an example, I am talking about something like this video.

I am trying to find a bottom bracket that is both well manufactured and can be serviced easily over its lifetime, because I don't want any long term issues with the ADH01 I'm currently building. It seems BBs like Hambini, BBinfinite, and Wheels mfg fit the bill for that.
Hello. Hadn't seen the youtube video before but had the same problem and short answer is: yes. It looks like the chainstays are made too long, and so after the frame has been assembled & glued, I'm guessing they just stick a 40mm hole saw in the BB shell and cut off the excess carbon, which is then in the way if you've got a 1 piece BB. It was a total pain for me as I put the BB in and then tried to feed the hose through. Had to take out the BB again to see what the problem was. Dremel fixed it as per the youtube video- see image attached.
IMG20220628181555.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MDecius

by MDecius

mathemagician wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:02 am
MDecius wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:30 am
Hello,

Hello. Hadn't seen the youtube video before but had the same problem and short answer is: yes. It looks like the chainstays are made too long, and so after the frame has been assembled & glued, I'm guessing they just stick a 40mm hole saw in the BB shell and cut off the excess carbon, which is then in the way if you've got a 1 piece BB. It was a total pain for me as I put the BB in and then tried to feed the hose through. Had to take out the BB again to see what the problem was. Dremel fixed it as per the youtube video- see image attached.

IMG20220628181555.jpg
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping this answer would be negative though, because I really won't take any power tool to such a beautiful frame. It seems like I will have to find an easier-to-install BB option, even though that brings in all of the well-known manufacturing, alignment, and tolerance issues of standard BB386.

Does anyone else have suggestions for a 386EVO BB for an ADH? Mine will be rim brake Di2 so the cables being threaded through that area will be narrower (although there will be more of them).

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

this is where Time cheaped out, they could have used an apprropriately sized holesaw like 46mm and then this would not be an issue.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

IMO no need for a threaded BB as due to the specific Time production methodology the BB is manufactured very precisely. I do have a Wheels MFG threaded BB installed in my AdH01 but that is a real overkill. Installation was easy (right tight fit) and the crank turns so freely that I know that there is neither any misalignment nor any weird tolerances here.

mathemagician

by mathemagician

MDecius wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping this answer would be negative though, because I really won't take any power tool to such a beautiful frame. It seems like I will have to find an easier-to-install BB option, even though that brings in all of the well-known manufacturing, alignment, and tolerance issues of standard BB386.

Does anyone else have suggestions for a 386EVO BB for an ADH? Mine will be rim brake Di2 so the cables being threaded through that area will be narrower (although there will be more of them).
Couple of things, if you look at how rough cut the inside of those chainstays are, you might feel a little less precious about taking power tools to the beautiful frame. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful frame but the cutting of the chainstays is clearly a quick and dirty convenience- my Dremel cut is the neatest part of the chainstay.

Secondly, the issues you're talking about are issues with manufacturing, not with the standard. And the tolerance on Time bikes is excellent, I suspect pretty much any 2 piece 386EVO that isn't from AliExpress would be ok.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

MDecius wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:17 pm

There are no well known manufacturing, alignment, and tolerance issues with BB386. And considering Time's reputation just about any quality BB is going to be fine. Getting a one piece Hambini or BBInfinite style BB is completely unnecessary unless your frame has tolerance issues. And if you've just bought a new frame that's out of tolerance you should take it back to the bike shop.

MDecius

by MDecius

Lina wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:56 pm
MDecius wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:17 pm

There are no well known manufacturing, alignment, and tolerance issues with BB386. And considering Time's reputation just about any quality BB is going to be fine. Getting a one piece Hambini or BBInfinite style BB is completely unnecessary unless your frame has tolerance issues. And if you've just bought a new frame that's out of tolerance you should take it back to the bike shop.
What I should have said was alignment & tolerance issues from 2 piece BB manufacturers. I've had so many people mention BB problems to me after just buying the 2 piece BB their bike shop recommended. Personally my 2c is that I'm either convinced by threaded BBs or a full 1pc press-fit, but I'm an electronics engineer, not a mechanical one.
nikospeed wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:43 pm
IMO no need for a threaded BB as due to the specific Time production methodology the BB is manufactured very precisely. I do have a Wheels MFG threaded BB installed in my AdH01 but that is a real overkill. Installation was easy (right tight fit) and the crank turns so freely that I know that there is neither any misalignment nor any weird tolerances here.
Yes, I have no concerns about the frame's production quality or tolerances, moreso about the tolerances of the bottom bracket component. Regardless of what I end up buying, I will measure all parts in advance and will be searching for the standards doc to know the acceptable tolerances. The last thing I want to have to do with this frame is force in/out a BB.

What are y'all's thoughts about Rotor's BBs? I have not found much on them, but my dealer is pushing them as the best thing since sliced bread.

nikospeed

by nikospeed

Wrt Rotor BB: I have a std 4630 installed in my Kuota Kryon (also BB386EVO) and it works flawlessly for ca 4 years now. Would recommend it

steveadore

by steveadore

So, what's the best BB for 24mm Shimano cranks in terms of cost-reliability-durability? I'd be looking for a BB that does not lead to creaking issues and is relatively easily serviceable (preferably just replacing the bearings without having to remove the cups or the sleeve from the frame).
Oh, and having plastic top-hat reducers between the 25mm ID bearings and the 24mm spindle (similar to Shimano BSA BBs): To my knowledge, Hambini has this, and if I'm not mistaken, also the Token Ninja TF38624 (I believe this is the only Token that has such a reducer instead of bearings that have the same ID as the crank spindle).

mathemagician

by mathemagician

steveadore wrote:So, what's the best BB for 24mm Shimano cranks in terms of cost-reliability-durability? I'd be looking for a BB that does not lead to creaking issues and is relatively easily serviceable (preferably just replacing the bearings without having to remove the cups or the sleeve from the frame).
Oh, and having plastic top-hat reducers between the 25mm ID bearings and the 24mm spindle (similar to Shimano BSA BBs): To my knowledge, Hambini has this, and if I'm not mistaken, also the Token Ninja TF38624 (I believe this is the only Token that has such a reducer instead of bearings that have the same ID as the crank spindle).
I think you'll find most bottom brackets will run a reducer, because 25mm ID bearings are a standard size and therefore easy to source and cheap. 24mm is a far less common size- to be honest I've always been baffled as to why Shimano made Hollowtech a 24mm axle, when 25mm would have made so much more sense with minimal weight penalty.

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

It looks like Shimano knew there would be a problem with hard bearings on their axles and elected to put a plastic reducer in to mitigate this. I used to have a wheels mfg and praxis BB, both hard 24mm bearings directly onto the axle. They used to cut grooves in.

I have a Time Scylon with a Hambini BB. I had to do some filing on the inside as Time had left the stay overhangs too long. Once that was completed, I installed the Hambini BB and have never looked back. I would recommend his BB's they are well engineered and his technical support is second to none.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mathemagician wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 pm
steveadore wrote:So, what's the best BB for 24mm Shimano cranks in terms of cost-reliability-durability? I'd be looking for a BB that does not lead to creaking issues and is relatively easily serviceable (preferably just replacing the bearings without having to remove the cups or the sleeve from the frame).
I think you'll find most bottom brackets will run a reducer, because 25mm ID bearings are a standard size and therefore easy to source and cheap. 24mm is a far less common size- to be honest I've always been baffled as to why Shimano made Hollowtech a 24mm axle, when 25mm would have made so much more sense with minimal weight penalty.

It was intentional. The plastic spacer is a sacrificial component preventing metal-on-metal contact. It's the same reason DUB uses a 29mm axle and not a 30mm one.

steveadore

by steveadore

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:23 am
mathemagician wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:00 pm

It was intentional. The plastic spacer is a sacrificial component preventing metal-on-metal contact. It's the same reason DUB uses a 29mm axle and not a 30mm one.
I know, and that's the exact reason I want to have a BB with the plastic spacer. But I find that very few actually have them (I only know about the Hambini and the Token). Wheels Mfg, Rotor, Ceramicspeed, Praxis etc. all have bearings that rely on direct metal-to-metal contact with the crank axle, as far as I can tell. Or am I wrong (just judging by looking at stock photos, install videos) and do some of those also have a 25>24mm plastic top-hat?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steveadore

by steveadore

CarlosTheJackal wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:27 pm
It looks like Shimano knew there would be a problem with hard bearings on their axles and elected to put a plastic reducer in to mitigate this. I used to have a wheels mfg and praxis BB, both hard 24mm bearings directly onto the axle. They used to cut grooves in.

I have a Time Scylon with a Hambini BB. I had to do some filing on the inside as Time had left the stay overhangs too long. Once that was completed, I installed the Hambini BB and have never looked back. I would recommend his BB's they are well engineered and his technical support is second to none.
If Shimano has problems, then so would other crank manufacturers who use softer alloy axles (instead of Shimano's steel one), too, I guess :wink: Btw, on my mountain bike I have a Hope 46 (PF30>24mm) BB adapter with 24mm ID bearings, but I have luckily got away without grooves cut in the Shimano axle so far. I would have preferred a BB with 25mm ID bearings and plastic spacers for that bike but none were available at the time I installed the Hope.

Did you have to do the filing just because of the stays inside the BB area? Or did you experience problems also because of the internal cable guide grommet being in the way of the BB sleeve?