The Time Bicycles Thread -- Time Frames, Bikes, & Hardware Components After Sale To Cardinal Cycling Group

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

Are they going to be supplying Hambini BBs with 2023 models?

jlok

by jlok

While I like his creation, but I think it's overkill (unnecessary weight) when the BB is aligned and within spec. I'd suggest using Hambini's as a problem solver / last resort.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

steveadore wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:47 pm
I've actually been wondering if there might be drawbacks to the Quickset
I've experienced two issues. The quickest headset can gradually work itself loose and you can end up with play in your steerer over time which can be annoying and also damage the steerer if not detected early. The second issue is, if you don’t regularly service the headset, it and regrease it, it can seize if left long enough. If it seizes, you'll need something like Rost-Off (rust remover) to release the headset. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to take the headset off by hand if its properly seized.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What kind of rregreasing interval is needed for the quickest headset? Can you relate that to conditions, such as rain, amount of sweat dripping onto it, etc.?

otnemem

by otnemem

Yoln wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 am
Any idea about the weight of the new ADH?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165387&start=465#p1785871

steveadore

by steveadore

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 am
steveadore wrote:
I've experienced two issues. The quickest headset can gradually work itself loose and you can end up with play in your steerer over time which can be annoying and also damage the steerer if not detected early. The second issue is, if you don’t regularly service the headset, it and regrease it, it can seize if left long enough. If it seizes, you'll need something like Rost-Off (rust remover) to release the headset. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to take the headset off by hand if its properly seized.
Is this sth you have experienced regularly (i.e. multiple times)? How often do you need to readjust/tigthen the Quickset? Was this always the case for you (presuming your Time is older)?

And what to you mean by regreasing exactly? Regreasing the threads of the Quickset topcap or regreasing the interface between the 2 bearings and the carbon seats/cups molded into the carbon inner of the head tube? The bearings cartridged themselves are supposed to have some kind of special polymer grease with long life inside, right?

Yoln

by Yoln

otnemem wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:53 pm
Yoln wrote:
Thanks. So much more heavy than the previous ones? Pretty shady that they wouldn't even mention the weight on the website...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

While poking around for some information on something else, I found myself going down a YouTube rabbit hole and found this review from Andy Clark on the AdH 01. Yes, Andy is a "Time Ambassador", but it's an interesting long-term review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaJPV-pQFg0

Yoln

by Yoln

Interesting debate on clearance on page 32/33. I remember reading an article recently about bike trends for 2023/24. And the first one was: End of tire "inflation", and return to paper-thin clearance for 28mm.

The argument being that most pro teams are now running 25 front and sometimes 28mm rear, and that's not supposed to change anytime soon. So race road bike will mostly focus on paper thin 28mm clearance for the coming two years
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

zappafile123

by zappafile123

steveadore wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:33 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 am
steveadore wrote:
Is this sth you have experienced regularly (i.e. multiple times)? How often do you need to readjust/tigthen the Quickset? Was this always the case for you (presuming your Time is older)?

And what to you mean by regreasing exactly? Regreasing the threads of the Quickset topcap or regreasing the interface between the 2 bearings and the carbon seats/cups molded into the carbon inner of the head tube? The bearings cartridged themselves are supposed to have some kind of special polymer grease with long life inside, right?
I saw these issues a few times when I was a mechanic and also had these problems on a second hand RXRS I bought for myself. (That said Time weren't common through the workshop, so I imagine most quickset heads will encounter issues if they're not taken care of.) The solution is really simple - disassemble your headset at least once a year, clean the road grit off and put some fresh assembly grease on the threads on the fork (also clean and regrease the bearings while your there). If you ride a lot, sweat a lot, or live near the ocean, probably better to service the headset more often than once a year.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I had an 08 Vxr and a 12 RXRS and very little issue with the quickset but I did clean and grease the 08 a few times as I rode it late winter when roads were not great but the 12 I might have only done it a couple times max but it didnt see as much crap as the 08 did. I thought the quickset was great setup.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

otnemem

by otnemem

Yoln wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:08 pm
Interesting debate on clearance on page 32/33. I remember reading an article recently about bike trends for 2023/24. And the first one was: End of tire "inflation", and return to paper-thin clearance for 28mm.

The argument being that most pro teams are now running 25 front and sometimes 28mm rear, and that's not supposed to change anytime soon. So race road bike will mostly focus on paper thin 28mm clearance for the coming two years
So thin is the clearance that it'll scrape anything inflating to more than that.

Then again, Time has left the pro peloton a long time ago and there's no chance they're going back in the next few years.

otnemem

by otnemem

Yoln wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:30 pm
otnemem wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:53 pm
Yoln wrote:
Thanks. So much more heavy than the previous ones? Pretty shady that they wouldn't even mention the weight on the website...
I guess that's what happens when you only add cosmetic changes to a frameset that was already long in the tooth.

Good luck to them.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

otnemem wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:43 am
So thin is the clearance that it'll scrape anything inflating to more than that.
You refer to the new AdH disc here? Really absolutely no room for anything more than 28 WAM?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

JasonFly

by JasonFly

Quite disappointed by the new model, it looks nothing more than a more expensive version of the old alpe 21...

My hope at this point is that they had plans for a true refresh of the range, but that they were not ready for 2023 and had to come up with a stopgap solution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com