"They're not making their bikes any faster" - an outsider's perspective on weight weenies

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

schlafen wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:43 pm

I would try a piece of liner there and if shifting changes you can run a short section through the cable guide.

If the botton bracket cable guide is the common plastic type you can drill it out slightly and run the liner through it, for that OE look.
Will have a look again, thanks! I know we put some liner down there but there may be more than can be done to improve it.

Treptay

by Treptay

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:20 pm
I've had r7000 and r8000 on multiple bikes, shifting performance is exactly the same, which is to say fantastic for both. There is def a slight difference in material feel/quality with r8000, and you can adjust the lever reach, which you can't do with r7000. Along with slightly less weight of course, so there are benefits to going with Ultegra. If there was 105 di2, I would get that, but there isn't, so I'll be going with Udi2 for the new bike, but for now, the r7000 is performing flawlessly.
Are you sure that you can't adjust the lever reach on 105? I adjusted the reach on mechanical 105 5800 on my girlfriends bike, and I am pretty sure that you can adjust it on the new r7000 too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgrl

by mgrl

You can indeed adjust the reach on mechanical 105; it's absolutely identical to ultegra in that regard, to the extent that the "adjusting the reach" section in the dealers manual has them using an identical diagram.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Treptay wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm
Are you sure that you can't adjust the lever reach on 105? I adjusted the reach on mechanical 105 5800 on my girlfriends bike, and I am pretty sure that you can adjust it on the new r7000 too.
mgrl wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:53 am
You can indeed adjust the reach on mechanical 105; it's absolutely identical to ultegra in that regard, to the extent that the "adjusting the reach" section in the dealers manual has them using an identical diagram.
Good to know! I was told you couldn't and just accepted it, never checked (big hands, never needed to adjust the reach).

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Lucendi wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:02 pm
Women tend to care more about people and less about things while men tend to be the opposite.

I fully agree with her, but as I am a man who care more about inanimate objects. Looking through the build threads on this forum is just one impressive bike after the next, I love how ingenous solutions people come up with! :)
I don't think you know a lot of women then, or go to malls.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

darrydonds wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 am
I don't think you know a lot of women then, or go to malls.
Men tend to be hunter shoppers and their visits to retail stores is need-driven. Women like to spend time browsing, comparing prices, products and quality.