"They're not making their bikes any faster" - an outsider's perspective on weight weenies

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

After showing my SO some of the lightweight bikes here, that was the comment she made. :lol: She used to race bikes and raced against men (and won sometimes) just for some background. She rides a 17lb aluminum road bike with rim brakes and shimano 105 and basically believes anything past that is extremely diminishing returns. She also said with regards to some of the silly light/1x builds "They've ruined their bike" :lol: I tried to tell her the new trend is to go aero and she agreed that it might make the bike slightly faster :noidea: I've offered to upgrade her bike bike she outright refuses and just insists on training more.

I just thought it was a funny conversation and I told her I was going to tell WW what she said :welcome:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

She's not wrong. I'm 185lbs and my road bike is currently 18lbs. If I drop it down to a WW respectable 15lbs, I have only reduced my total system weight by 1.5%. Unless you're strictly into hill cimbing, which let's be honest, most people here aren't, then it's just for bragging rights. But I always say to each his own, do whatever is gonna make you happy. :)

But that aside, there is a ton of good info here, which is why I hang around, even if I have no desire or plans to go full WW on my bikes.

Milese

by Milese

Sounds like you are married to my Dad.

MikeD

by MikeD

17 lbs. is already a pretty light bike. Shimano 105 is pretty decent as well. 1x on a road bike is just stupid as well, because of the big jumps between gears and less gear range. The focus on training is also commendable. I agree with her.

rwoofer

by rwoofer

For me, someone who rides for pleasure, it is about how the bike feels. Lightweight bikes just feel good and therefore I enjoy riding them more.

wooglins

by wooglins

oooooppps
Last edited by wooglins on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wooglins

by wooglins

I agree as well.

When I originally started viewing here when 15lbs was grail and 17lbs was very respectable with 16lbs being really good. The industry has reached 15lbs reliably at a fairly low cost, and 17lbs at a very low cost. Wheels have alot to do with it too perhaps. I am seeing the weight inch up abit to grab back performance in other areas like brakes.

jch3n

by jch3n

rwoofer wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm
For me, someone who rides for pleasure, it is about how the bike feels. Lightweight bikes just feel good and therefore I enjoy riding them more.
This. While maybe not any faster, riding a super light, snappy bike is a unique experience.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Riding a bike that is responsive, snappy and fits is 99% of it, the weight (beyond certain criteria) is all but irrelevant except when you either pop them on the scales or calculate how much faster "x" conponent/bike/wheels would allow you to climb a hill........

nycebo

by nycebo

But does she say the same things about cars, shoes, purses, jeans, etc. One person's luxury is another person's waste of money.

Right light and far.

spartacus

by spartacus

nycebo wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:52 pm
But does she say the same things about cars, shoes, purses, jeans, etc. One person's luxury is another person's waste of money.

Right light and far.
I don't think she has a problem with nice bikes or nice things. I'd say her bike priorities are mostly aesthetics, it doesn't seem like she thinks upgrading things is worth doing in general though.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

spartacus wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm
After showing my SO some of the lightweight bikes here, that was the comment she made. :lol: She used to race bikes and raced against men (and won sometimes) just for some background. She rides a 17lb aluminum road bike with rim brakes and shimano 105 and basically believes anything past that is extremely diminishing returns. She also said with regards to some of the silly light/1x builds "They've ruined their bike" :lol: I tried to tell her the new trend is to go aero and she agreed that it might make the bike slightly faster :noidea: I've offered to upgrade her bike bike she outright refuses and just insists on training more.
For a ready to ride ally 105 bike 17lbs is really light. She must have some decently upgraded componentry on there already, right?

And she's right, any speed/time gain from pure weight loss from there is going to be very small. But that's not the point, the point is having something really nice and/or that feels nice. I also think that from my perspective some of the most extreme builds with silly pedals and gutted shifters are ruined, because I wouldn't want to sacrifice those ergonomics. But my perspective doesn't matter, because it's not my bike!

spartacus

by spartacus

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm
spartacus wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm
For a ready to ride ally 105 bike 17lbs is really light. She must have some decently upgraded componentry on there already, right?

And she's right, any speed/time gain from pure weight loss from there is going to be very small. But that's not the point, the point is having something really nice and/or that feels nice. I also think that from my perspective some of the most extreme builds with silly pedals and gutted shifters are ruined, because I wouldn't want to sacrifice those ergonomics. But my perspective doesn't matter, because it's not my bike!
It's a small bike with decent parts on it. It has a carbon fork and seatstays so it's not the worst bike ever made. I can see why she doesn't feel the need to upgrade, at her weight I'm sure it's plenty stiff and 11 speed 105 works fine. she also has me for a bike mechanc so I don't think she's ever had to worry about her bike, maybe that's part of it too.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

My coach says much the same.

I must admit, when you work out that at a respectable power output for a decent, averagely lean club rider, saving 1lb will make you less than 40s faster up Mount Ventoux (a 100 minute climb for said rider), it does kind of make you see the point.

But if upgrading your bike makes you happy, there are many worse things to spend your money on IMO.

johanalexander

by johanalexander

I agree with her. I think (could probably say know) that the time spent sanding the paint off from a frame would be better invested in training and that the results from training that amount of time would be greater than the weight saved from sanding.
Eating trash'n riding fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com