modifying time pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

I've been on speedplay since the mid 90s. I don't love the pedals, but its the only thing that keeps my left knee happy. Wahoo's complete bungling of their purchase of speedplay has me looking for alternatives again. I tried shimano and really liked them, but i seem to need more float on my left leg than the yellow cleat can provide. I thought look would be the answer with the red cleats, but man are the keo blades a hot mess. Straight out of the box there was significant laterel rocking. TIme xpresso are my favorite by a long shot, but the re-centering float ends up bothering my left knee. Is there anyway of modifying the cleat so it isn't re-centering? I've played around with rotating the cleat, but it always seems like i'm fighting the pedal for where my foot wants to go, and my knee is suffering as a result. I've got the resistance set to the lowest level, but its still to much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Have a look at Keywin pedals. There is no re-centering force but you can adjust the resistance to float, making it stiff or very free. Lots of axle lengths to choose from in TI or steel and they are simple, not prone to mechanical malfunction and they last forever.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

I tried keywin as well. It was close, but it just wasn't enough float on the left side.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

are there some countries with supply problems with Speedplay? They are still readily available for sale in the US.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

supplies are hit or miss, even in the US. I am one of the people who wear down the plastic pedal bodies almost immediately so I had to switch to the steel pave. They hold up pretty good, but they are heavy and I think they are ugly as sin. More importantly, they require a metal shim between the pedal and the cleat and I have had a really hard time tracking replacements down. Wahoo has officially said they are only going to be making the zero, aero zero, and the light action, so I figured it was as good of a time as any to start working on other options.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

whataboutEee wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 pm
I tried keywin as well. It was close, but it just wasn't enough float on the left side.
That's a shame. Keywin are a fantastic pedal.

Happy hunting.

Arph

by Arph

Metal shims have gone missing with most of Speedplays products / accessories / small parts. I managed to get a free pair from Wahoo support after complaining to them directly (5 days delivery from Georgia to France ^^). Best to look for home made options (not that hard here in France).

Now wait for Sram to screw up Time pedals the same way Wahoo is doing with Speedplay ^^

stevesbike

by stevesbike

whataboutEee wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:51 pm
supplies are hit or miss, even in the US. I am one of the people who wear down the plastic pedal bodies almost immediately so I had to switch to the steel pave. They hold up pretty good, but they are heavy and I think they are ugly as sin. More importantly, they require a metal shim between the pedal and the cleat and I have had a really hard time tracking replacements down. Wahoo has officially said they are only going to be making the zero, aero zero, and the light action, so I figured it was as good of a time as any to start working on other options.
interesting - I recently switched from TIme to Speedplay after using Time pedals for decades. You could try the XPro which I found better than the xpresso - the platform is larger and feels more stable. If you destroyed zeros you'll likely go through Time pedals as well. I had an XPRO replaced under warranty due to the platform plates coming loose (and the cleats wear quickly). That's probably the best option re the float - give the cleat some time to wear a bit. I'd worry that modifying the pedal would raise the chance of unintended releases. The main drawback for me with Time is the limited Q factor adjustment and striking the pedal and chainstays with my heel. The Speedplay are vastly superior in terms of both Q factor adjustment and adjusting the float angle to where you want it. I've found I only really need a few degrees of float (Look and Shimano give me instant pain even when adjusted right since their recentering is so strong).

AJS914

by AJS914

Visiting a good bike fitter might be in order, kneed tracking can be improved with shims, wedges, insoles, axel spacers, etc.

zzzzz8

by zzzzz8

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:52 pm
Visiting a good bike fitter might be in order, kneed tracking can be improved with shims, wedges, insoles, axel spacers, etc.
I did a retul fit a couple years back, but that was with speedplays. If I end up needing to switch I will probably find someone who specializes in feet and see what they can do for me

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

zzzzz8 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:37 pm
https://youtu.be/Mwt4SXTqJA0

An option maybe?
I can't believe how non-chalant he was that he broke a cleat in such a short period of time. The pedals might work, but there is no way I am going anywhere near those cleats.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

interesting - I recently switched from TIme to Speedplay after using Time pedals for decades. You could try the XPro which I found better than the xpresso - the platform is larger and feels more stable. If you destroyed zeros you'll likely go through Time pedals as well. I had an XPRO replaced under warranty due to the platform plates coming loose (and the cleats wear quickly). That's probably the best option re the float - give the cleat some time to wear a bit. I'd worry that modifying the pedal would raise the chance of unintended releases. The main drawback for me with Time is the limited Q factor adjustment and striking the pedal and chainstays with my heel. The Speedplay are vastly superior in terms of both Q factor adjustment and adjusting the float angle to where you want it. I've found I only really need a few degrees of float (Look and Shimano give me instant pain even when adjusted right since their recentering is so strong).
[/quote]

Did you notice any difference in the ease of float between xpro and the xpresso?

ipaul

by ipaul

Question. Anyone know where I can dig up the large headed button head screws that Time has used for years? Issue is I need longer ones to accommodate a 3-4 mm shim I need? Barely getting enough thread and need the large head to not deform the plastic slots.
Thanks.
:P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Somewhere like McMaster-Carr would be a good place to look.

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/rounded ... ad-screws/