Any alternatives to using FSA Vision ACR 5D Metron

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seven1816

by Seven1816

Hi I have a new Orro Venturi arriving soon, it comes with the FSA ACR stem and aluminiun bars (Heavy). I truely want an integrated bar setup after coming from my Canyon H36 cockpit albeit not fully cable integrated. I have emailed Orro to ask if the front steerer is pre-drilled, that can accommodate other ICR, DCR and even FSA SMR systems, which would open up a gaggle of alternative setups, but they have not replied it's been over a week.........
Anyway I know the Vision 5D Metron ACR is ready to rock and roll, but are there any alternatives out there?

kroem

by kroem

Theres a lot of options in China bur idk if that's something you'd consider?
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

kroem wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 am
Theres a lot of options in "ze far East" bur idk if that's something you'd consider?
Removed - behave

kroem

by kroem

ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:05 am
kroem wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 am
Theres a lot of options in "ze far East" bur idk if that's something you'd consider?
i would feel bad for your family members unable to sue the now disbanded and renamed Aliexpress seller to cover your funeral cost after your cheapo handlebar snapped when you hit a pothole on a 40m/h descent
I'm not going to bite :beerchug:

Let's not put that discussion here, I just said that there's alternatives.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

Seven1816

by Seven1816

Well looks like I will pull the trigger on a set of 5D ACRs, can't find any Asian ACR integrated. There are plenty ICR, I do like the Farsports F1 but shame you can't port the front brake hose, without a drilled steerer tube.

lazyriderzhao

by lazyriderzhao

Seven1816 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am
Well looks like I will pull the trigger on a set of 5D ACRs, can't find any Asian ACR integrated. There are plenty ICR, I do like the Farsports F1 but shame you can't port the front brake hose, without a drilled steerer tube.
I've seen a Farsport F1 on Colnage V3rs, so you may ask their sales guy about it.
b4f7fb91a13b3e0add35a4b1447bd2f.jpg

hannawald

by hannawald

lazyriderzhao wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:37 am
Seven1816 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am
I've seen a Farsport F1 on Colnage V3rs, so you may ask their sales guy about it.
b4f7fb91a13b3e0add35a4b1447bd2f.jpg
different system, not ACR.

If the steerer has a hole, you can use DCR as well. If not you are stuck with ACR for internal cable routing. It seems to me that ACR stems needs to be reinforced and are very heavy because the cable goes at its upper part so it means two stem bolts clamping the stem to fork steerer are quite low and close to each other..

takolino

by takolino

Giant Contact SLR stem is also over the top brake hose routing. They are quite heavy and it's an alloy stem that works only with their oval section handlebar. I'd go with Metron.

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

Have you seen this option? It's an aluminum stem at -17 degrees so not sure if it's your thing, plus the "heavyiness" of the metal you seem to be trying to avoid. There is a carbon Deda Vinci handlebar available in shallow drop as well to mate with this stem with DCR setup. I just ordered both from Starbike so you would need to email them about the shallow version if interested. They list the non-shallow version on the site. They offer a better price than Bike24 as well.
https://www.starbike.com/en/deda-vinci- ... _BwE#98375
Attachments
deda-vinci-stem-pob-polish-on-black-4-hires.jpg
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

hannawald

by hannawald

HappyGuy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pm
Have you seen this option? It's an aluminum stem at -17 degrees so not sure if it's your thing, plus the "heavyiness" of the metal you seem to be trying to avoid. There is a carbon Deda Vinci handlebar available in shallow drop as well to mate with this stem with DCR setup. I just ordered both from Starbike so you would need to email them about the shallow version if interested. They list the non-shallow version on the site. They offer a better price than Bike24 as well.
https://www.starbike.com/en/deda-vinci- ... _BwE#98375
It has been discussed couple of times and unfortunately ACR and DCR are different systems, not always interchangable. If his steerer has no hole (I don't know, just from what he says) then how will he route the front brake cable into the fork leg? It is not only to get the brake cable into the head tube..If there is no hole in the steerer, only ACR, not DCR.

Seven1816

by Seven1816

Thanks all, seems that if you buy a bike with ACR you are pretty much stuck with the the system. @Takolino love your work on your 3T! Great thread!
@HappyGuy I would be all over the Deda Alenera, The Vinci setup looks a tad bodge to me, but that's just my opinion, I love Deda stuff. @hannawald Life would be so much easier if the frame makers would design things for multiple applications.

Seven1816

by Seven1816

Quick update!
I just got a reply from Orro "Thanks for contacting us. The fork steerer does come pre-drilled on all the models."
Wooooohooooo! Feels like Xmas came early, Kudos to Orro for being a forward thinking, future proofing manufactuerer.

takolino

by takolino

Thanks Seven1816!
That's great news! :beerchug:

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

I'm curious to see which integrated bar and stem you finally settle on.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

Seven1816

by Seven1816

I followed the Yoeleo handlebar thread and made an order for them a couple of days ago, now waiting for delivery.
I am hoping the Yoeleo H10 headset spacer is the same diameter as the FSA ACR at roughly 57mm so the set up will be seemless, my bike has arrived and I have started changing out bits and pcs, I have taken at look at the fork steerer and indeed there is a pre-drilled hole there ready for the front brake hose to go thru that rather than through the ACR expansion plug. Understand that I will have to pull the brake hoses to install the new bar, but it works out well because I will reroute the front hose through the hole and I can swap the brakes round I am a Right for rear brake, the bike is built for the British market and cut the steerer by 10mm. Also I have suspect rear brake hose rattle in the frame on lateral movements, so time to get some foam sleeving for that.
Will post pics when the bars are done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com